The All Purpose Pens Off Day Thread - Injuries, Practice, Injuries, Lines, More Injuries, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
That might be a bad thing. Andersen's a quality goalie who likely won't have three stinkers in a row.

Pens can win the game if they come out hard and stay structured. Toronto is extremely talented offensively, but they seem to wilt if the opposition plays hard. They feast on you if you give them chance after chance and don't play well.
He's already played 3 stinkers in a row.
Lose vs Dallas, 3 GA, .842SV%
Lose vs Buffalo, 5 GA, .861SV%
Lose vs Pens, 5 GA, .792SV%

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There was an article today giving credit to Pittsburgh Penguins goalie coach Mike Buckley. It is obviously well deserved. Although MM and Jarry deserve all the credit for their seasons and still young careers, it can not be a coincidence that they developed under his care, and Bales before him.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There was an article today giving credit to Pittsburgh Penguins goalie coach Mike Buckley. It is obviously well deserved. Although MM and Jarry deserve all the credit for their seasons and still young careers, it can not be a coincidence that they developed under his care, and Bales before him.

I was skeptical about Buckley, given MM’s struggles the last few seasons, but now I’m glad to eat crow.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That might be a bad thing. Andersen's a quality goalie who likely won't have three stinkers in a row.

Pens can win the game if they come out hard and stay structured. Toronto is extremely talented offensively, but they seem to wilt if the opposition plays hard. They feast on you if you give them chance after chance and don't play well.

How prophetic of me. ;)

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
How prophetic of me. ;)

I feel this was the more imporant part you got correct:

Which the Pens did not sustain, at all.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I feel this was the more imporant part you got correct:

Which the Pens did not sustain, at all.

It was so predictable, too. It's pretty clear what good teams can do to the Leafs when they play with structure (Tuesday night) and what the Leafs are capable of doing if you give their talented guys room to use their skills (tonight).

Plus, you weren't going to put a 5-spot up on Andersen again. So the Pens needed to be a lot more conscious defensively tonight than they were after the 1st period.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It was so predictable, too. It's pretty clear what good teams can do to the Leafs when they play with structure (Tuesday night) and what the Leafs are capable of doing if you give their talented guys room to use their skills (tonight).

Plus, you weren't going to put a 5-spot up on Andersen again. So the Pens needed to be a lot more conscious defensively tonight than they were after the 1st period.

Andersen is 5-5 vs the Pens all-time, with a .924 Sv% so he is good against the Pens, but not that good, the only team he is absolutely horrid against is Tampa (3-10 all time).

Murray is similar against Toronto, 3-3-1 with a .926 sv%

Reactions: ownal

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
they are running Angello with Geno and Rust....maybe kahun is not in all that bad shape after all...

Debbie Downer alert: or, they’re not sure atm how injured because the swelling hasn’t gone down...

although there’s this...

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just gonna post these here instead of typing it out, but our recent eye test struggles are backed up by the collapse of our underlying numbers as well.

I've been saying this about Simon all season, but the advanced stats crowd seemed to think I was nuts because of how much Sid apparently scores with Simon on his line.

Now the advanced stats crowd is also getting on Simon, as though him producing at a 30 point pace wasn't ever going to be an issue that no one could foresee.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've been saying this about Simon all season, but the advanced stats crowd seemed to think I was nuts because of how much Sid apparently scores with Simon on his line.

Now the advanced stats crowd is also getting on Simon, as though him producing at a 30 point pace wasn't ever going to be an issue that no one could foresee.

Well, you know what they say . . . when you've lost the advanced stats crowd . . . :popcorn:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Well, you know what they say . . . when you've lost the advanced stats crowd . . . :popcorn:

Simon got shit on today on HF and here was Sid/Simon stats in their 11:34 together. Outscored 1-2 but results should have been better. The last stat is pretty damning and there are 6 players on the ice. Anyone saying it’s exclusively Simon’s fault is pretty crazy (it’s been insinuated quite a bit).

Corsi 62.96%
Fenwick 65.00%
Shots For 66.67%
GF 33.33%
XGF 57.89%
SCF 50.00%
HDCF 55.56%
HDGF 33.33%
SH% 10%
SV .600%

I still like him :laugh: and I don’t think there is a better option with who is healthy right now. Yeah Rust obviously but then that takes away from Malkin (which I’m not opposed to right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad