The All Purpose Off Day Thread |

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Didnt even notice Kessel dropped to -6 on the year...after being +5 right around the deadline.

Sometimes +/- does indicate how a player is playing.

In Phil's case it does . . .

Well... I guess here's to hoping Malkin can get his last 4 points on the powerplay to crack 100. Because it won't be ES.

Why isn't Rust allowed to play on his RW, anymore? It seems like the most natural fit with Kessel being banged up.

If it's with Phil, then certainly not. If it's HGH, then I wouldn't sell it short. I really liked how they looked when Sully put them back together. Maybe they just needed a break?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
In Phil's case it does . . .

If it's with Phil, then certainly not. If it's HGH, then I wouldn't sell it short. I really liked how they looked when Sully put them back together. Maybe they just needed a break?

No, Phil isn't much of an option for him, right now. I would contend that outside of a ridiculous stretch where Malkin was playing perhaps the best hockey of his career that neither is Hornqvist. To me, it's a bit like fully buying into HBK based on short term success.

Hornqvist does wonderful, irreplaceable things for this team. But I dislike the dynamic of that line. Hagelin continues to impress in that role, though. But Malkin needs a LITTLE bit of hands on one flank or the other.

If it morphs into some sort of playoff shutdown line, I guess I could live with that. Provided other lines are getting it done ES.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No, Phil isn't much of an option for him, right now. I would contend that outside of a ridiculous stretch where Malkin was playing perhaps the best hockey of his career that neither is Hornqvist. To me, it's a bit like fully buying into HBK based on short term success.

Hornqvist does wonderful, irreplaceable things for this team. But I dislike the dynamic of that line. Hagelin continues to impress in that role, though. But Malkin needs a LITTLE bit of hands on one flank or the other.

If it morphs into some sort of playoff shutdown line, I guess I could live with that. Provided other lines are getting it done ES.

Here's the think. We know that HGH kills it when Geno is going. When the playoffs come, we know that Geno is going to dial it up to an 11.

In an ideal world, Rust wouldn't be with Sid, but this isn't an ideal world. Rust is with Sid until MAYBE the line becomes a net negative and/or the Pens are down in a series, and I think you know that.

And, in the real world where Rust is with Sid, the Pens best play is HGH.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't disagree. But I've always believed in DIRECT support for your best players. Even if the team often doesn't. I feel like nudging your best players with the right linemates to greatness is a thing, too. But, I mean... barring a change in trend... playoff Malkin is usually best Malkin. So we'll see.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Here's the think. We know that HGH kills it when Geno is going. When the playoffs come, we know that Geno is going to dial it up to an 11.

In an ideal world, Rust wouldn't be with Sid, but this isn't an ideal world. Rust is with Sid until MAYBE the line becomes a net negative and/or the Pens are down in a series, and I think you know that.

I think majority does agree Rust shouldn't be with Sid. In my opinion he would seem to work best on a line with Brassard and Kessel. That would move Sheary to the 4th line with Sheahan and Kuhn / Simon

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't disagree. But I've always believed in DIRECT support for your best players. Even if the team often doesn't. I feel like nudging your best players with the right linemates to greatness is a thing, too. But, I mean... barring a change in trend... playoff Malkin is usually best Malkin. So we'll see.

HGH was really good for a long stretch, struggled for a bit, and then went gangbusters near the end of the Caps game. If Geno is shooting Geno again, then that line will do well, particularly in the playoffs where board play and traffic are key to scoring goals. If Geno is trying to play fancy tic tack toe hockey with Horny, then it will be abysmal.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

HGH is at worst even vs. other top lines, leaving easier and easier matchups down the line for us (and easier and easier zone starts too). As long as Geno is healthy, I'd start with that line in the post season, and build the other lines from there. We need Phil healthy and going on L3 to make it all work, especially against a team like Boston, where we need to win that L3 matchup at ES.

I am concerned that with Phil clearly hurt, and Brass out, that third line isn't going to be going at the start of the playoffs. Hopefully we face CBJ or Philly in the 1st round and can get some chemistry and consistency going there, we'll need it against Washington or the big guns in the Atlantic. If we face Washington with a mess of a third line, we're probably done, and done quickly.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think majority does agree Rust shouldn't be with Sid. In my opinion he would seem to work best on a line with Brassard and Kessel. That would move Sheary to the 4th line with Sheahan and Kuhn / Simon

Agreed. I'd like to see this for a bit. Plenty of moving parts too.

Jake-Sid-ZAR
Hagelin-Geno-Horny
Rust-Brass-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Kuhn

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
HGH was really good for a long stretch, struggled for a bit, and then went gangbusters near the end of the Caps game. If Geno is shooting Geno again, then that line will do well, particularly in the playoffs where board play and traffic are key to scoring goals. If Geno is trying to play fancy tic tack toe hockey with Horny, then it will be abysmal.

I don't necessarily disagree. I want Malkin to shoot the puck, too. He has 40+ goals, after all. But he has to consistently get the puck in shooting positions. And Malkin LOVES playing the give and go. You can't force that out of him.

The playoffs will tell. I tend to trust the years of uninspired play between those two as opposed to the two months that indicated otherwise.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I assume then you want ZAR with Sid and Jake?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't necessarily disagree. I want Malkin to shoot the puck, too. He has 40+ goals, after all. But he has to consistently get the puck in shooting positions. And Malkin LOVES playing the give and go. You can't force that out of him.

The playoffs will tell. I tend to trust the years of uninspired play between those two as opposed to the two months that indicated otherwise.

Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle (HBK). Maybe it was caught and it's gone, but I doubt it based on what I saw when they were back together in the Caps game. They went from Geno's line sucking with Hagelin-Kessel to playing great as soon as Horny came on. If Rust has to be with Crosby, then Horny is the next best fit from what we've seen this year.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I personally prefer HGR and Horny with Sid. I've always LOVED Rust on Geno's RW (not so much on the LW), and I think Horny helps Sid in the playoffs. But, we don't get to live in that world. ;)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle (HBK). Maybe it was caught and it's gone, but I doubt it based on what I saw when they were back together in the Caps game. They went from Geno's line sucking with Hagelin-Kessel to playing great as soon as Horny came on. If Rust has to be with Crosby, then Horny is the next best fit from what we've seen this year.

At the same time, it's fair to say that HGH hit a rut. The timing was a little off. Maybe it was because Geno throttled back a little. Or, maybe it was because Horny was wide open in front of the net so much that Geno went from line shooter who Horny and Hags worked to get the puck to a guy along with Hags who was working the dirty areas to get Horny the puck in front, and maybe going from shooter to set up man took away a little of that attack mentality that Geno needs to be on top of his game. Whatever it WAS, when HGH was reunited against the Caps, Geno was in attack mode . . . and I think that's the Geno you'll get in the playoffs when he dials it up.

Reactions: Shady Machine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Everything Kessel touches right now turns to turds. But fair enough.

I personally prefer HGR and Horny with Sid. I've always LOVED Rust on Geno's RW (not so much on the LW), and I think Horny helps Sid in the playoffs. But, we don't get to live in that world. ;)

Yeah. This is honestly just kind of the reality, right now.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I would love to see ZAR back on a line with Sid.

Guentz - Sid - ZAR
100% agree. I really wish Sully would afford this line a look. ZAR has played well with Sid before and he's a physical presence who will go to the net. He's defensively responsible as well. No reason not to try it. It also pushes Rust down to another line, which helps add even greater quality depth throughout the line up.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I can’t wait till Hornqvist plays with Sid in the playoffs and I bring this back up to you :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, Sid should just suck it up and play with Hornqvist.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
ZAR-Sheahan-Jooris

That lineup will work so nicely, especially since Sheary is starting to find his game.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I can’t wait till Hornqvist plays with Sid in the playoffs and I bring this back up to you :sarcasm:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
ZAR-Sheahan-Jooris

That lineup will work so nicely, especially since Sheary is starting to find his game.
Thats a great line up. Pick your poison with the top three and then roll out a possession fourth line thats plenty capable of matching up against top lines.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
Guentzel-Brassard-Kessel
ZAR-Sheahan-Jooris

That would be my lineup if my aim were to maximize the cumulative potential of the top 9.

Reactions: Shaffer

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That would be my lineup if my aim were to maximize the cumulative potential of the top 9.

I think there’s more advantages to spreading the scoring talent out and running four lines with the fourth line getting at least 10 min...that’s why I’d keep Jake with Sid and have ZAR playing with Brass and Phil, and then you can run Sheary-Sheahan-Jooris/Simon/whoever on the fourth....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think there’s more advantages to spreading the scoring talent out and running four lines with the fourth line getting at least 10 min...that’s why I’d keep Jake with Sid and have ZAR playing with Brass and Phil, and then you can run Sheary-Sheahan-Jooris/Simon/whoever on the fourth....

Also an option, although I'm not sure your fourth line does much to move the 4th line needle.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Also an option, although I'm not sure your fourth line does much to move the 4th line needle.

Unfortunately there’s going to be a plugger somewhere there since Sully loves his Kuhns and Rowneys and we’re all overestimating his willingness to move away from those players....but another option for the bottom six is Simon-Brass-Phil and Sheary-Sheahan-ZAR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad