The All Purpose Off Day Thread |

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Practice starts in 30 minutes. I hope Aston-Reece gets to see some time with Brassard/Kessel, but Sullivan will probably keep Sheary there.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Practice starts in 30 minutes. I hope Aston-Reece gets to see some time with Brassard/Kessel, but Sullivan will probably keep Sheary there.

Rather he get time with Sid and stick Rust with Brassard and Kessel. Sheary to the 4th.

Jake-Sid-ZAR
Hags-Geno-Horny
Rust-Brass-Kessel
Kuhn-Shea-Sheary

piece'o'cake

I think ZAR provides what Sid's line needs and Rust provides the 3rd line a lot of what they are missing. It just makes too much sense. Rust's speed isn't taking Sid's line to new heights.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

After last game, I doubt Sullivan changes the lineup at all. Maybe he swaps Kuhnhackl and ZAR, but I doubt it.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Unfortunately I think Sheary is now glued to Kessel/Brass due to his "alley oop" pass.
Nevermind Sheary had a glorious chance in the slot later in the game and completely lost the handle.
That line needs someone who is a better board battler (ZAR or Rust fit way better)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What the hell is Sully's infatuation with having Rust/Sid play together?

Speed? Because that's all you need. Speed. Speed is what we need. Greasy...fast...speed!

The only time Rust looks bad as a player is when he is with Sid. It's...it's really weird. I'm often baffled by it. My guess at this point is that it's Sid's request with him believing that Rust's speed will just...ya know...work. I hope it doesn't turn into a Kunitz and Dupuis thing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What the hell is Sully's infatuation with having Rust/Sid play together?

He's fast, tenacious, and good defensively. The fact that he has absolutely no chemistry with anyone on that line is beside the point.

Sidney the Kidney said:
Jets hitting on pretty much every single high pick recently (Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers, Trouba, Connor) has certainly turned that franchise around. I know a lot were high picks, but that's still an impressive success rate in drafting.

Yeah, they've drafted really well. To me, the most impressive thing is the collection of elite young wingers they've amassed - best in the league. Laine, Connor, and Ehlers are 19, 20, and 21 years old, and have 43, 29, and 28 goals. 2017 1st rounder Vesalainen's killing it in Finland now too.

Wheeler's only got one more year on his deal, but it seems like the Jets could lose him without missing a beat if the young guns keep progressing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, they've drafted really well. To me, the most impressive thing is the collection of elite young wingers they've amassed - best in the league. Laine, Connor, and Ehlers are 19, 20, and 21 years old, and have 43, 29, and 28 goals. 2017 1st rounder Vesalainen's killing it in Finland now too.

Wheeler's only got one more year on his deal, but it seems like the Jets could lose him without missing a beat if the young guns keep progressing.

The Jets have had patient ownership that allowed the management to do their job.

They got extremely lucky with Laine, but that roster is an example of building through the draft.

No way they get rid of Wheeler. Just listen to any member of that team talk about him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Jets have had patient ownership that allowed the management to do their job.

They got extremely lucky with Laine, but that roster is an example of building through the draft.

No way they get rid of Wheeler. Just listen to any member of that team talk about him.

I understand how good and well-respected Wheeler is, but the Jets have a lot of very high-end young talent to re-sign over the next couple years, and allotting 8+ mil to a 33 year old Wheeler on a long-term deal in 2019 may not be in their best interest.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They should put ZAR back with Sid. Jake can play the other wing. At least give that line a couple games. It pushes Rust down which affords us better depth throughout the line up. Also, since we got Brassard, Sheahan has been largely invisible. Not his fault as I'm sure his ice time has been cut. But he's not had much of an impact at all.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They should put ZAR back with Sid. Jake can play the other wing. At least give that line a couple games. It pushes Rust down which affords us better depth throughout the line up. Also, since we got Brassard, Sheahan has been largely invisible. Not his fault as I'm sure his ice time has been cut. But he's not had much of an impact at all.

Jake is a LW'er and so is ZAR. I'm not moving Jake to his off wing to accommodate a lesser Horny type when we have the real thing that plays RW. I actually like the idea of swapping Horny and Rust between Sid and Geno mid game. Both arrangements work well for Geno and it allows Sully to go with the hot hand with Jake-Side.

ZAR can play with Sheahan or, my preference, can play with Brass-Kessel. If up to me I'd go:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Brass-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Kuhn/Simon

Reactions: Tom Hanks

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I get why people don't want Sheary with Brassard and Kessel, but I agree with Sully leaving him there for now. He's got a point in 3 of his last 4. Let's see if he can build up some confidence after a rough year. The Pens are a better team if they can get some production out of him.

Reactions: Badfish87

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jake is a LW'er and so is ZAR. I'm not moving Jake to his off wing to accommodate a lesser Horny type when we have the real thing that plays RW. I actually like the idea of swapping Horny and Rust between Sid and Geno mid game. Both arrangements work well for Geno and it allows Sully to go with the hot hand with Jake-Side.

ZAR can play with Sheahan or, my preference, can play with Brass-Kessel. If up to me I'd go:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hagelin-Malkin-Rust
ZAR-Brass-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Kuhn/Simon
I liked ZAR with Sid, they were cooking with gas and we were clicking on all cylinders. Jake and Phil were killing it together also. So if we can't have Jake and ZAR with Sid then I'd put Jake back on the 3rd line. And ZAR could play either wing, so if you're concerned about Jake moving to RW Reese can play there. In any case I want ZAR back with Sid, On the surface it may seem like that duo wouldn't make much sense, but I think with ZAR going to the dirty areas, always being sound positionally and obviously he gives Sid that physical component to that line, I say we see what we have there.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I understand how good and well-respected Wheeler is, but the Jets have a lot of very high-end young talent to re-sign over the next couple years, and allotting 8+ mil to a 33 year old Wheeler on a long-term deal in 2019 may not be in their best interest.

They are five mil under and lose Enstrom whenever Trouba is up. I’ll be shocked if they let Wheeler walk.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I get why people don't want Sheary with Brassard and Kessel, but I agree with Sully leaving him there for now. He's got a point in 3 of his last 4. Let's see if he can build up some confidence after a rough year. The Pens are a better team if they can get some production out of him.

I’m almost positive he stays there until they falter. Maybe they somehow work for a run, idk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->