Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Maybe this'll snap the struggling players out of their funk but if not...dis gonna be rough.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
This will be THE time to start playing at the level we think they have in them.

If not, and Malkin is gone for a few weeks, that playoff spot might soon be in REAL jeopardy (not just over reacting fan jeopardy)

Reactions: Shady Machine

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
-Mackey says he thinks Rowney's out tonight. Sully says game time decision.
-Maatta didn't take the optional but is fine per Sully
-Sully says they've talked about Jake @ C weekly and lately it's been daily...
-Geno skated on his own before the optional

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That news about Guentzel is semi-big, because the fact that Sullivan and company were talking about Guentzel at center a lot recently makes me think that he's going to end up the 3C this year at some point. Go with:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hagelin-Guentzel-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Reaves

I'm thinking it's more and more likely that the Penguins are going to have something like this by the end of the season. It's starting to make more and more sense.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That news about Guentzel is semi-big, because the fact that Sullivan and company were talking about Guentzel at center a lot recently makes me think that he's going to end up the 3C this year at some point. Go with:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hagelin-Guentzel-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Reaves

I'm thinking it's more and more likely that the Penguins are going to have something like this by the end of the season. It's starting to make more and more sense.[/QUOTtho

I think that's the case, or it should be, if there is no trade. I still think ideally JR is looking for another center before the TDL

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Who killed Geno?

Last game on the PP, he took a wack to the hands that crippled him a tad and then someone came in and really crunched him. If I had to guess, it's a sore shoulder. The lack of a call up makes me think it's shorter term or they are waiting for the holiday to reassess.

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hagelin-Guentzel-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Reaves

I'm thinking it's more and more likely that the Penguins are going to have something like this by the end of the season. It's starting to make more and more sense.

Two things: On paper, that's an awesome, logical, well balanced line up. In reality, the wrench in the system is Crosby and him not wanting Horny as a wing. Next, that 4th line is still garbage. Better than what it was but if you're going to commit to putting a guy like Sheahan on the 4th line I think you need to also commit to a more fluid idea of what the 4th line is - meaning, rotate Reaves and/or Kuhn or ideally both in and out.

Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Sprong-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Guentzel-Kessel
XXXX-Sheahan-XXXX

XXXX's: Reaves, Kuhnhackl, Archibald, ZAR, DiPauli, Simon, etc. Selective usage.

I really like Rust and all but I'm just not a fan of him with Sid. I don't see any magic there. Certainly not like Sheary/Jake with Sid.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
-Mackey says he thinks Rowney's out tonight. Sully says game time decision.
-Maatta didn't take the optional but is fine per Sully
-Sully says they've talked about Jake @ C weekly and lately it's been daily...
-Geno skated on his own before the optional

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
This is the arrogance I think has started to eek its way into our organization.

We “know” Jake can play center? Then why isn’t he doing it when we had Rowney and McKegg as our centers????

Because the kid has struggled mightily this year AND he had tremendous chemistry with Sid. So why change that?

The other issue is that C is much much much more difficult to play vs wing. Jake's confidence seems to be dwindling right now so why sink that when you had other C's available? With Malkin's injury it opens up a C spot to NOW try this. It has zippo to do with arrogance and moreso with logistics.

Reactions: Badfish87

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Last game on the PP, he took a wack to the hands that crippled him a tad and then someone came in and really crunched him. If I had to guess, it's a sore shoulder. The lack of a call up makes me think it's shorter term or they are waiting for the holiday to reassess.
It doesn't look like Geno will be out for long. Shoulder/back issue would be my guess too, since he holds stick with both hands.

I wouldn't want Guentzel play C long term. I think he is more valuable at wing. That way he has less responsibilities, especially defensively. And it's unknown how he's on draws, if bad, Sully would have only two center options for draws in D-zone.

JR just needs to trade for 3C (again). Seems like Sheahan reclamation project wouldn't work as wanted and he's not gonna find his offensive game here(or anywhere). He's ok defensively tho and will slide on 4th line if 3C is brought.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because the kid has struggled mightily this year AND he had tremendous chemistry with Sid. So why change that?

The other issue is that C is much much much more difficult to play vs wing. Jake's confidence seems to be dwindling right now so why sink that when you had other C's available? With Malkin's injury it opens up a C spot to NOW try this. It has zippo to do with arrogance and moreso with logistics.

I think you’re making my point for me. He has dwindling confidence so the solution is to play him at C when he absolutely need him to?

Seems like setting him up for failure, not to mention he has a habit of getting lined up in the neutral zone in terms of hits, so I think him playing center is even more of an issue regarding that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It doesn't look like Geno will be out for long. Shoulder/back issue would be my guess too, since he holds stick with both hands.

I wouldn't want Guentzel play C long term. I think he is more valuable at wing. That way he has less responsibilities, especially defensively. And it's unknown how he's on draws, if bad, Sully would have only two center options for draws in D-zone.

JR just needs to trade for 3C (again). Seems like Sheahan reclamation project wouldn't work as wanted and he's not gonna find his offensive game here(or anywhere). He's ok defensively tho and will slide on 4th line if 3C is brought.

This is what I suspected. Long time between games and this game off plus Thanksgiving, gives him a full 6 days of recovery.

Sheahan needs a few more to make that determination. Of course we want more offensive output but the overall body of work he's provided is on par with 3Cs of the past. I don't know who's available and at what prices right now so I would hesitant to suggest more moves unless its someone on the cheap like Letestu.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Great edge work. I wish they showed more of this stuff. Working your edges, i'm sure his heart was on fire after that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It’d be pretty sweet if Guentzel could turn into our version of Pavelski where you can slot him pretty much anywhere in the lineup and any situation.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Post game had moved past the game and the team is practicing today ... Happy Thanksgiving!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Getting the feeling Geno may have a concussion. He plays against CHI, then has a vigorous practice and then is suddenly missing and not practicing today even though he worked yesterday. Sounds suspiciously like concussion variations.
I hope not. Maybe Sully will update today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad