Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Schultz, Murray Practice with Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Actually, I suspect they put Sprong at L3 RW because there's a spot there and they didn't want to upset the balance the top two lines have demonstrated.

You mean the excellent ES scoring demons that inhabit the top two lines and the balance created by Sully shifting linemates every shift...oh, that balance

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You also think Sheahan is a defensively responsible 3C who isn't a black hole offensively. :P:

Eh, I do have issues with Sheahan, but none of those issues make me think he and Sprong wouldn't be a good fit together. At least on paper, a defensive playmaking center with a goal scoring winger is a good complement. Conceptually, it's a good fit. My issue is that you don't have a good 3rd member for that line and I'm not sure Sheahan has the consistency to help Sprong.

Sheahan can't score goals, but he's an alright playmaker and he's usually good defensively. Sprong sucks defensively, but he can score goals. Makes sense as a combo, but that doesn't mean it will actually work.

I do like that Sprong isn't top-6 or AHL, though. I was a little afraid that they'd put Sprong in a top-6 role, and if he wouldn't produce immediately, they'd send him back down.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
wPACT1F.jpg

giphy.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Eh, I do have issues with Sheahan, but none of those issues make me think he and Sprong wouldn't be a good fit together. At least on paper, a defensive playmaking center with a goal scoring winger is a good complement. Conceptually, it's a good fit. My issue is that you don't have a good 3rd member for that line and I'm not sure Sheahan has the consistency to help Sprong.

Sheahan can't score goals, but he's an alright playmaker and he's usually good defensively. Sprong sucks defensively, but he can score goals. Makes sense as a combo, but that doesn't mean it will actually work.

You lost me at 'alright playmaker'. Sorry, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Hope I'm wrong, I really do, but IMO Sheary-Sheahan-Sprong is going to be a mess defensively, limit Sprong's touches where he gets the puck with time and space in shooting areas, and encourage Sprong to try to force things offensively.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think many thought he would start in the top 6 right away. Suspect we'll see him there soon..its not total suck for Sprong, he's up.

We want to be a 3 line scoring team though. Best way to do that is Crosby, Malkin, Kessel on separate lines. Sprong potentially can make that make more sense. Yeah we need a change on LW as well but let’s get things going. We’re running out of time.

Reactions: NEPA

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to play Sprong with Sheahan. Play the kid with an actual top 9 caliber NHL player.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I just hope he thrives in spite of Sheahan-Sheary, because of all the duos Sully could've used among the guys in the top 9, this is the one that makes it least likely that Sprong will succeed.

Well, this logically dictates they split up the D zone draws a little more across the four lines, and stop using Sheahan's line as the D zone matchup line. Sheahan put up respectable goal totals when given better assignments, and I like Geno, especially with Hags to get some more D zone draws. Phil can't streak down the right wing when he's starting in the O zone all the time.

So I'm cautiously optimistic this could work if they use their lines properly.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
No update yet on Malkin? Usually doesnt take this long after the practice, does it?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
No update yet on Malkin? Usually doesnt take this long after the practice, does it?

I said in the injury thread I doubt it’s an injury with Wilson taking his spot in practice.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Yikes, Sheary and Sprong with Sheahan? If you're going to put any two of Sheary, Sprong, Jake, or Kessel together (the weak defensively crew), you have to make them an offensive threat, ie not with Sheahan.

And if it's going to be two of the above on tbe same line, dont pick the smallest and the newest. Come on, Sully.

Whatever, let's see how it works. Not like it's going to stay together past the first period with how we shuffle lines anyway.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Didnt a single reporter ask about Geno?
So far the only update has been the Murray is possible for tomorrow and a couple of Spring quotes. No mention of Schultz practicing, nothing about Geno ... so I'm guessing there's more to come yet.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Maybe Sprong will inspire Sheahan's play making abilities. Give Sheahan a couple finishers instead of scrubs and watch Sheahan turn into Joe Thornton.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Maybe Sprong will inspire Sheahan's play making abilities. Give Sheahan a couple finishers instead of scrubs and watch Sheahan turn into Joe Thornton.
:laugh:

If it doesn't click, I wouldn't mind them swapping Sheary and Jake. Jake - Sheahan - Sprong could be an interesting mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad