Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Because 60 Minutes Just Isn't Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
My logic was that we had a lot of high end PP talent here even without Phil and that it would still function well. I don't know for sure, it would be a risk, but that's what I think.

Meanwhile, if you got the right deal, trading Kessel would allow you to two players that could really boost the team at ES. At the time, Kessel looked like a bad fit there, and I figured a lesser player with a better fit could perform pretty much just as well, plus you've got another player.

Perhaps. Phil was the PP QB last season IMO. He made a lot of the clutch decisions that led to less deliberation and more urgency. He had the puck as much as anybody. Phil's just an exceptional passer. Plus he was good at zone entries and helping us setup, which is half the battle. If someone like Jake replaced him, that'd be really tough shoes to fill. Like you said, it's risky.

2 players as in 2 forwards you mean in return? With 6.8 mil wiggle room that'd be tough to get fair value IMO. Give me an example of a trade package you'd like.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Perhaps. Phil was the PP QB last season IMO. He made a lot of the clutch decisions that led to less deliberation and more urgency. He had the puck as much as anybody. Phil's just an exceptional passer. Plus he was good at zone entries and helping us setup, which is half the battle. If someone like Jake replaced him, that'd be really tough shoes to fill. Like you said, it's risky.

2 players as in 2 forwards you mean in return? With 6.8 mil wiggle room that'd be tough to get fair value IMO. Give me an example of a trade package you'd like.

Domi, Demers/Gogo and a 2nd

Or

Coyle / Nino and Minni’s first were two packages discussed that some of us thought we’d win.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm gonna take this to PM as I think most people here had enough of it the first three times and have no need for the 24th.

Reactions: ColePens

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Domi, Demers/Gogo and a 2nd

Or

Coyle / Nino and Minni’s first were two packages discussed that some of us thought we’d win.
The 1st trade I hate. Goligoski's old and yet another offensive defenseman. He's a liability in his own end. He wouldn't solve our problem. Domi is unproven and could have been a bust for us. Losing Phil's PP work and playoff upside is way too much for that return.

Option B is slightly better, but still bad IMO. I like Niederreiter, but he's probably like a 40-45 point player. 1st rounders are a huge gamble too, and they often take like 4+ years to be ready. Our window would be closed by that time. I highly doubt we'd get lucky enough to get a mid 1st rounder who would dramatically change our team outlook in time to make a difference.

Our window is right now. We have to ice the best possible lineup. This year in particular is vital. The stars aligned with all the contracts and the cap... and we have (on paper) an incredibly deep forward group. Phil gives us a better chance to win this year than Nino alone ever could.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Also, if you trade Kessel, you'll need to bring another goal-scorer via different trade for sure, because we only have Jake and Phil on wing scoring goals consistently.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The 1st trade I hate. Goligoski's old and yet another offensive defenseman. He's a liability in his own end. He wouldn't solve our problem. Domi is unproven and could have been a bust for us. Losing Phil's PP work and playoff upside is way too much for that return.

Option B is slightly better, but still bad IMO. I like Niederreiter, but he's probably like a 40-45 point player. 1st rounders are a huge gamble too, and they often take like 4+ years to be ready. Our window would be closed by that time. I highly doubt we'd get lucky enough to get a mid 1st rounder who would dramatically change our team outlook in time to make a difference.

Our window is right now. We have to ice the best possible lineup. This year in particular is vital. The stars aligned with all the contracts and the cap... and we have (on paper) an incredibly deep forward group. Phil gives us a better chance to win this year than Nino alone ever could.

You’re read on Gogo is completely wrong and you’re ignoring that fact it wouldn’t just be Domi or Nino / Coyle replacing Kessel. The idea was this year you would have Brassard / Sprong / plus the trade asset to do it. They would also infuse some younger / hungrier people.

The other issue was that Kessel doesn’t necessarily fit with any of our centers.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
do we need that any more than we need a scoring RW prospect? I mean sure, if we can flip him for a similar LW or D prospect maybe go for it, but it's just shuffling the deck. Trading him because we have other bigger needs is fine. Trading him just to trade him is dumb.
I like trading him for D-depth because that's where this team can be hurt the most. All it takes is two injuries and you're playing Ruh full-time.

Pens have depth at forward in droves.

@Riptide I don't think we have enough depth at defense. From the trade board. Waive Ruh and send him down. If someone is dumb enough to pick him up (calling at you Shero) thank you!!! We can replace him from within or pickup another on a small deal.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like trading him for D-depth because that's where this team can be hurt the most. All it takes is two injuries and you're playing Ruh full-time.

@Riptide I don't think we have enough depth at defense. From the trade board. Waive Ruh and send him down. If someone is dumb enough to pick him up (calling at you Shero) thank you!!! We can replace him from within or pickup another on a small deal.
Ruh being 2 injuries away from playing is a sign of good D-depth imo. Our D is lacking in the middle, not in depth imo. Ruh is a very good 8th D-man.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

While optimistic this will change, I'm currently a lot comfier playing Ruh for 20 games than I am Sprong, Simon or ZAR (actually playing that is, not just hiding whenever things go wrong).

Besides, who's giving up cheap decent D depth for Sprong?

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
CIubsq7.gif

Seriously though, who the f*** made up this schedule?

Is there a word worst than boring to describe it?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This early isn't when you want this though. January? Sure, I am 100% for these 4 day breaks, but man, we're what, 2 weeks into the season?
Yeah this would be nice later on. But it's way early for these breaks. The more breaks we have now, you have to figure it means less breaks later when they matter more. I suppose I could check, but I'm obviously not going to :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah this would be nice later on. But it's way early for these breaks. The more breaks we have now, you have to figure it means less breaks later when they matter more. I suppose I could check, but I'm obviously not going to :laugh:
It let's me marinate in the slowness and terribleness of Olli Maatta when I am given too much time between games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad