Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread - Panic Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's kind of strange that I've been saying why not just flip Sprong onto Brassard's wing and flip Rust (or now Hornqvist) onto the Cullen/Sheahan line. I was told that would mean taking minutes away from Rust/Hornqvist, and thus it makes sense for Sullivan not to do it. Then he does it versus the Leafs.

It's almost as though it makes sense to have Sprong play with an offensive center and not two defensive minded players.
It's not strange though. Everyone who said it makes sense not to do it also agreed it made sense to do it, especially if rust or horny continue their slow start. The whole point wasn't that your idea was bad, but that there are multiple options that all make sense.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
To all the teams who took out our Metro foes last night...

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Brassards minutes got cut by almost 2 minutes in terms of what he was averaging..

They effectively cut Brassard’s entire lines minutes which sucks. And turned him into a 4th liner with spot duty on Crosby’s line.
it doesn’t suck at all, brassard and his linemates haven’t done shit all year. including when he’s on sids line

Reactions: EightyOne

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Sprong hasn't earned a spot with Crosby so I don't know why people just want to gift him a spot there. Sprong had a legitimately bad preseason, he's going to have to work his way back up to Crosby's line.

Sprong should be on the 3rd line for now, which it seems like that's where he's going to be. Either that or Brassard is now the 4C who gets more minutes as a winger with Crosby.

This isnt preschool. Its not about gifts and rewards and punishments. Its about getting a legitimate look at an options that have the teams best interest in mind.

And im not talking about gluing him there for half a season either. If your gonna change your line top to bottom on a game per game basis including making your 3C a LW1 why the hell wouldnt you give him a look.

If the team was off to a hot start and things were clicking and everyone was playing well or at the very least wanted to see your oringional combos get some run and get a chance to gel then fine. But if your throwing shit at the wall to see if it sticks you might as well throw all the shit.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
This isnt preschool. Its not about gifts and rewards and punishments. Its about getting a legitimate look at an options that have the teams best interest in mind.

And im not talking about gluing him there for half a season either. If your gonna change your line top to bottom on a game per game basis including making your 3C a LW1 why the hell wouldnt you give him a look.

If the team was off to a hot start and things were clicking and everyone was playing well or at the very least wanted to see your oringional combos get some run and get a chance to gel then fine. But if your throwing **** at the wall to see if it sticks you might as well throw all the ****.
Honestly with the way Sid's playing right now in the O-zone...will flipping RW's again make any difference? That line will succeed when Sid wills it to succeed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

If the team was off to a hot start and things were clicking and everyone was playing well or at the very least wanted to see your oringional combos get some run and get a chance to gel then fine. But if your throwing **** at the wall to see if it sticks you might as well throw all the ****.
I get why Sully would give guys like Rust and Horny a bit of rope. I feel like they've earned that. But Sprong is playing well, and they really aren't. At this point, I think it's time to stop giving them that extra benefit over Sprong and put him in the rotation for scoring lines.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Honestly with the way Sid's playing right now in the O-zone...will flipping RW's again make any difference? That line will succeed when Sid wills it to succeed.
It would be really nice if we could get a winger combo that can work well enough together so that isn't always the case. In theory that's a strength of Brass on that line, but it hasn't really played out so far.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It would be really nice if we could get a winger combo that can work well enough together so that isn't always the case. In theory that's a strength of Brass on that line, but it hasn't really played out so far.

It's not just Sid tbf. I think Guentzel could do a lot more in terms of creating chances. Right now they're forming a very steady defensive line but not a lot else - although that alone is pretty valuable right now. And probably high in Sully's considerations in terms of who to put there.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's not just Sid tbf. I think Guentzel could do a lot more in terms of creating chances. Right now they're forming a very steady defensive line but not a lot else - although that alone is pretty valuable right now. And probably high in Sully's considerations in terms of who to put there.
Fair. I'm really not worried about that line long term, regardless of who is on RW.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
They've been a little bit unlucky. Guentzel had a tap-in chance right on the backdoor that somehow got away. Sid had a breakaway and a semi open net after Brass dropped it back. They haven't been awful at all IMO. Patience is important. These things take time.
I'm getting kind of tired of Sully getting the bingo balls out every game. As long as we can defend anywhere near to how we played Toronto then we don't have to score 5 goals a game. Malkin's line and the PP can carry during this acclimating period. 3rd line was pretty strong against Toronto too. Hoping for more from them.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I actually think Hagelin would work really well with Jake and Sid. I will say though, when we initially tried Jake on the right side, he killed it. I haven't been as impressed since that initial trial. I do think Hagelin's speed would fit in well with that line. I like Rust better with Malkin and Kessel.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They've been a little bit unlucky. Guentzel had a tap-in chance right on the backdoor that somehow got away. Sid had a breakaway and a semi open net after Brass dropped it back. They haven't been awful at all IMO. Patience is important. These things take time.
I'm getting kind of tired of Sully getting the bingo balls out every game. As long as we can defend anywhere near to how we played Toronto then we don't have to score 5 goals a game. Malkin's line and the PP can carry during this acclimating period. 3rd line was pretty strong against Toronto too. Hoping for more from them.

In fairness we've only just got to the point where we can pull out performances like that. I think if they continue in this vein, the bingo balls get put away.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I mean, they don't HAVE to score 5+ goals a game if they only give up one or two..

...But, I WANT them to score 5+ a game anyway!

Reactions: Peat and Ogrezilla

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I get why Sully would give guys like Rust and Horny a bit of rope. I feel like they've earned that. But Sprong is playing well, and they really aren't. At this point, I think it's time to stop giving them that extra benefit over Sprong and put him in the rotation for scoring lines.

With Hornqvist, the production might not be there right now but I don't think he is playing badly. Sometimes that happens in short sample sizes but gets sorted in the long run. Especially a guy who's pretty consistent in points each year.

Rust I agree.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's kind of strange that I've been saying why not just flip Sprong onto Brassard's wing and flip Rust (or now Hornqvist) onto the Cullen/Sheahan line. I was told that would mean taking minutes away from Rust/Hornqvist, and thus it makes sense for Sullivan not to do it. Then he does it versus the Leafs.

It's almost as though it makes sense to have Sprong play with an offensive center and not two defensive minded players.

While Cullen is great at defense. I don’t think calling him defensive minded is accurate. The guy has 711 career points which works out an average of 40 points a season over 20 years. The guy knows how to play offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad