Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread - Panic Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I actually looked around our calendar to see where it hurts us. We start having 4 games per week in November/December. It's ridiculous. I do not get how a team plays Tues/Thurs and then off until Tuesday again.

The NHL scheduling is ****ing awful.
The good news is we have 11 back-to-backs this year, as opposed to 19 the year before. Really should lead to more standings points. There's not a lot of excuses for this team to fail to win the Metro.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The problem is that there's virtually no way a player could play well enough to earn a top 6 spot with the opportunities Sprong has been given. Kessel wouldn't be able to earn a top 6 spot if he was regularly played 8 minutes a night on the 4th line starting in his own end 70% of the time.

That Sprong is 5th in scoring among our forwards is a feat in itself. At this point it's less about what Sprong's done to earn a spot in the top 9 than what the incumbents haven't done to keep their spots. Hopefully last game with Brass was a sign of things to come rather than a blip on the radar in terms of opportunity.

The zone start stats are flawed though. More often than not a player comes on the ice in play and not a faceoff. It doesn’t take into consideration neutral zone faceoff starts either.

The other thing is say Sprong comes on the ice when we are going forward and a turnover happens then quickly goes down the other end and a faceoff occurs. 10-15 seconds into his shift he’s going to stay on the ice for that zone start.

The minutes I get. He was with Brassard last game though and Sully was justified with the teams deployment last game given the circumstances. Only 6 games and there has been a few different line combos for him. That’s probably more on the rest of the team for the line shuffling not necessarily about Sprong. It should settle down more soon

Reactions: EliteGoaltending

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
The good news is we have 11 back-to-backs this year, as opposed to 19 the year before. Really should lead to more standings points. There's not a lot of excuses for this team to fail to win the Metro.

It’s still a tough division. We don’t have to win the Metro either. Just be healthy by the time playoffs roll around!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It’s still a tough division. We don’t have to win the Metro either. Just be healthy by the time playoffs roll around!
In the context of just the schedule and though it's a very quirky schedule, it's still much better than the atrocity we were confronted with last season.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sprong hasn't earned a spot with Crosby so I don't know why people just want to gift him a spot there. Sprong had a legitimately bad preseason, he's going to have to work his way back up to Crosby's line.

Sprong should be on the 3rd line for now, which it seems like that's where he's going to be. Either that or Brassard is now the 4C who gets more minutes as a winger with Crosby.

Here's the thing though....if Sully wants to keep L4 together because they played well last game (Sheahan-Cullen-Horny), then Brass has to remain at 3C....so his options for wing are either both Simon and Sprong (and Rust goes to L1), or Rust can move down and one of Simon or Spron has to play with Sid

My preference is to move Rust away from Sid so that they both can try to improve their numbers...together they suck...and I think Rust has previously worked with Brass...also agree with others who say Simon and Sprong shouldnt be on the same line because they're both not that defensive....given that, my preference would be Simon-Brass-Rust on the third line and Sprong playing with Sid...and this has nothing to do with Sprong needing to earn playing time there

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I actually looked around our calendar to see where it hurts us. We start having 4 games per week in November/December. It's ridiculous. I do not get how a team plays Tues/Thurs and then off until Tuesday again.

The NHL scheduling is ****ing awful.

It's the same schedule maker who decided that having zero games on October 12th sounded like a good idea, forcing multiple teams to play back to back the previous night.

Reactions: ColePens

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It's the same schedule maker who decided that having zero games on October 12th sounded like a good idea, forcing multiple teams to play back to back the previous night.

Here is vision of the schedule maker.

ca92a3f62262bdb9b5c14d519d429603.gif

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The way we're using Sprong is like having someone try to hammer in a nail using a screwdriver. Different tools exist for different reasons. Use them accordingly. And I didn't know my drill deserved to be used until I actually f***ing tried it.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The zone start stats are flawed though. More often than not a player comes on the ice in play and not a faceoff. It doesn’t take into consideration neutral zone faceoff starts either.

The other thing is say Sprong comes on the ice when we are going forward and a turnover happens then quickly goes down the other end and a faceoff occurs. 10-15 seconds into his shift he’s going to stay on the ice for that zone start.

For sure, but the stats are compiled the same way for everyone.

The minutes I get. He was with Brassard last game though and Sully was justified with the teams deployment last game given the circumstances. Only 6 games and there has been a few different line combos for him. That’s probably more on the rest of the team for the line shuffling not necessarily about Sprong. It should settle down more soon

Playing with Brass was definitely a step in the right direction...if it continues, and the minutes and zone starts follow suit, I'll have nothing to complain about with him (!).

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
For sure, but the stats are compiled the same way for everyone.

Playing with Brass was definitely a step in the right direction...if it continues, and the minutes and zone starts follow suit, I'll have nothing to complain about with him (!).

Yeah they are the same for everyone but they are kind of useless and not accurate of a coaches deployment.

Bear with me with my long winded example. :laugh: This is just in regards to deployment and not who he should play with.

Let’s say Cullen-Sheahan-Sprong is the line for the whole game. Sheahan has 10 faceoffs but we’ll say 3 are on the PK (so 7 ES) and 2 are in the neutral zone. Let’s say the others are 4 in the D zone and 1 in the O zone which is 80% D zone starts according to the stats but really it’s 4/7 (57%). Someone worked out that the average shift starts 60% in play so really that even lowers that.

Then you look at the zone starts that he was already on the ice before the faceoff and in terms of Sully’s influence on Sprong’s zone starts drops even more. It’s more balanced than the zone start stats suggest.

If a line is good at keeping possession and shots on target in the O zone they’ll get more faceoff attempts in the O zone to some degree (and the opposite going the other way).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah they are the same for everyone but they are kind of useless and not accurate of a coaches deployment.

Bear with me with my long winded example. :laugh: This is just in regards to deployment and not who he should play with.

Let’s say Cullen-Sheahan-Sprong is the line for the whole game. Sheahan has 10 faceoffs but we’ll say 3 are on the PK (so 7 ES) and 2 are in the neutral zone. Let’s say the others are 4 in the D zone and 1 in the O zone which is 80% D zone starts according to the stats but really it’s 4/7 (57%). Someone worked out that the average shift starts 60% in play so really that even lowers that.

Then you look at the zone starts that he was already on the ice before the faceoff and in terms of Sully’s influence on Sprong’s zone starts drops even more. It’s more balanced than the zone start stats suggest.

If a line is good at keeping possession and shots on target in the O zone they’ll get more faceoff attempts in the O zone to some degree (and the opposite going the other way).

I hear ya. But it's no coincidence that the best offensive players on a team usually get the most o-zone starts and the most trusted defensive players usually get the most d-zone starts. In your Sheahan example, ultimately he still only started once in the o-zone and 4 times in the d-zone. That's putting you behind the 8-ball right off the bat when it comes to shot-based metrics.

It's not the only factor, but it is a factor. No scoring wing prospect should be seeing zone starts like Sprong is getting.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
The league doesn't, but I'd value them finishing tops. They haven't done so since 2013-14. Really tired of them playing 2nd fiddle to the Caps time after time.

I wish there was more prestige associated (like in soccer) with winning the President's, the conference and divisions. It's not easy, especially these days with the parity. A team should be acknowledged for their hard work. Shouldn't be so readily discarded by fans.

We have the players. We have the coach. Win the Metro damnit!

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The league doesn't, but I'd value them finishing tops. They haven't done so since 2013-14. Really tired of them playing 2nd fiddle to the Caps time after time.

I wish there was more prestige associated (like in soccer) with winning the President's, the conference and divisions. It's not easy, especially these days with the parity. A team should be acknowledged for their hard work. Shouldn't be so readily discarded by fans.

We have the players. We have the coach. Let's win it for once!

I'm gonna focus on this.

This is ESPECIALLY why it is not important to fight for it. You will be going tooth and nail all year just to beat some blippity bloop team that is putting together a lucky string of wins but is not a real post-season threat.

In soccer you have, what, 4 playoff/championship games (not counting other friendlies/leagues)? In hockey, you COULD play 28 games. That is 34% of a regular season. In the playoffs. It is simply too much effort to try and battle 82 + 28 more.

For a Division/Conference banner.

When you COULD have a Stanley Cup banner.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I'm gonna focus on this.

This is ESPECIALLY why it is not important to fight for it. You will be going tooth and nail all year just to beat some blippity bloop team that is putting together a lucky string of wins but is not a real post-season threat.

In soccer you have, what, 4 playoff/championship games (not counting other friendlies/leagues)? In hockey, you COULD play 28 games. That is 34% of a regular season. In the playoffs. It is simply too much effort to try and battle 82 + 28 more.

For a Division/Conference banner.

When you COULD have a Stanley Cup banner.
I think what matters more is your schedule immediately preceding the playoffs, rather than the effort put forth all year. There have been plenty of President's trophy winners and division champs that have gone on to win the Cup. The Caps last year? That "burnt out" crap is a myth. You just have to have good fortune with injuries at the right time.

Sorry, it's just not meaningless to me. IMO we have a deeper roster than the Capitals, Blue Jackets, Flyers and Devils. I'd appreciate if they didn't finish behind them.

BTW as I write this, the Blue Jackets just lost tonight. We're tied for the highest points % in the Metro! :thumbu:

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I think what matters more is your schedule immediately preceding the playoffs, rather than the effort put forth all year. There have been plenty of President's trophy winners and division champs that have gone on to win the Cup. The Caps last year? That "burnt out" crap is a myth. You just have to have good fortune with injuries at the right time.

Sorry, it's just not meaningless to me. IMO we have a deeper roster than the Capitals, Blue Jackets, Flyers and Devils. I'd appreciate if they didn't finish behind them.

BTW as I write this, the Blue Jackets just lost tonight. We're tied for the highest points % :thumbu:
But I mean.. It is meaningless. It means nothing. Nobody remembers or cares who won the division in any year, all that's remembered is who won the cup.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
But I mean.. It is meaningless. It means nothing. Nobody remembers or cares who won the division in any year, all that's remembered is who won the cup.
Like I said, it's just something I value personally. It's a good measuring stick for a team to prove itself over 6 months against all the other teams in the league. I don't care what other people remember or perceive. Winning divisions is no cake walk.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's kind of strange that I've been saying why not just flip Sprong onto Brassard's wing and flip Rust (or now Hornqvist) onto the Cullen/Sheahan line. I was told that would mean taking minutes away from Rust/Hornqvist, and thus it makes sense for Sullivan not to do it. Then he does it versus the Leafs.

It's almost as though it makes sense to have Sprong play with an offensive center and not two defensive minded players.

Reactions: EightyOne

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I selfishly wish to see Malkin play with Crosby in the regular season and have Brassard be the second line center, not gonna lie. It’ll never happen, but all the cool teams are stacking their top lines.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's kind of strange that I've been saying why not just flip Sprong onto Brassard's wing and flip Rust (or now Hornqvist) onto the Cullen/Sheahan line. I was told that would mean taking minutes away from Rust/Hornqvist, and thus it makes sense for Sullivan not to do it. Then he does it versus the Leafs.

It's almost as though it makes sense to have Sprong play with an offensive center and not two defensive minded players.

Brassards minutes got cut by almost 2 minutes in terms of what he was averaging..

They effectively cut Brassard’s entire lines minutes which sucks. And turned him into a 4th liner with spot duty on Crosby’s line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->