Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread | Because 60 Minutes Just Isn't Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm a bit concerned the opposite will be the case. Sometimes it seems like they have a strong game (like versus the Leafs) just to say, "See? We can do it if we want to", then proceed to have a stinker the next night when they feel they've already proven their point the previous game.

Hopefully they prove me wrong.

I'd be worried about that too, but I assume they might get up for playing McDavid, so hopefully the focus/effort remains there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd be worried about that too, but I assume they might get up for playing McDavid, so hopefully the focus/effort remains there.

Yeah. Famous last words, but we've yet to lose a game to the Oilers with McDavid on ice.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Interesting article here on maybe limiting goaltender training and giving goaltenders more time to work on goaltender specifics rather than general team practice. Seems to make sense to me - I get the objections that the players need to shoot on the best goaltenders for proper practice but is a team going to benefit more from keeping their goaltender fresh and fully honed, or giving their skaters an extra couple of hours shooting on number one goaltenders in full drills?

That is interesting. Lol at Sheahan needing to shoot on the best goalies in the game in practice as if that's going to make a meaningful difference on his 50 career goals in 371 games.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The whole goaltender/shot thing. I would just simply say this - guys are shooting the puck heavier than ever before. I don't care what a clock says for MPH. If you go to a practice and see how heavy these shots are. Even when some of the NHL guys jump into the adult league for the summer to get some ice time, their shots are so different from 10-15 years ago. They are freaking heavy. It's not just fast, the puck just has a heavy feel.

It's really hard to explain in words. You have to be on the ice and see/feel these bombs to really appreciate just what goalies have to do. And it's not just 1 or 2 guys shooting like this, it's over half the league. The releases are so quick.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
He's definitely the best player in the NHL right now but it's not like he's putting up ridiculous numbers, he's just the best offensively right now. With the way he's regarded you'd think he's blowing away 2nd place by 25 or 30 points.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Maatta was actually quite terrible for stretches, where he made a lot of questionable decisions with the puck and was constantly getting burned and making wrong decisions for pinches. But overall, things that would be fine if he ever evolved his game to adjust to his lack of speed.

But he still makes wrong choices pinching and still plays like he isn't slow when he is.

I was willing to listen to the fact that he never had a proper off season in his entire career until this past summer to work on things. He didn't get faster. He looks like the same player from last season. More annoying is the people that seem to want to back up Olli without seeing him and these warts in a league that is pushing forward with speed and a player that can't seem to figure out how to fix that part of his game 5+ years in.

I like Olli, the guy has been through a ton and still keeps at it. His preparation for the game was 2nd to Crosby, but when you know he's a serious guy with his training and you don't see him work on his most glaring flaw....it's like, how much time are you going to waste defending someone that isn't going to get better in that regard?

While some of what you said has merit (like his pinches and underestimating his ability to recover when he pushes), I think you're focusing too much on his lack of speed and taking for granted what he does more easily/effectively than some of our other D.
- He pins guys on the boards and neutralizes cycle plays.
- He dispossesses good players in board battles without a fuss.
- Makes a good breakout pass.
- He doesn't take penalties...which is something people have always criminally undervalued. A guy like Subban had 82 PIMs last year. Maatta had 28. He doesn't handicap us that way.
- Good gap control when opponents are weaving to gain the blue line. Active stick swipes it out of harm's way.
- Excellent defensive awareness. He doesn't get caught chasing guys behind the net and abandoning his man in the slot like Letang did plenty last year and Johnson did this year. He stays glued to his man right in front of our net and breaks up the one-timer attempt.
- Maatta's just smart. He simply doesn't get scored on that much. +27 in 67 games in 2015-16. +17 the following year in 55 games. Last year he got paired with some of our struggling D, and thus didn't do as well in that regard. If his speed was really that harmful to our team, wouldn't he have gotten lit up more? Obviously he's finding ways to compensate.

Yes, he's been trash this year. Utter trash. But to say this is the same level as he played at last year? NO. That's just nonsense. He will improve. There'll come a point in the season where people will wait 5 games for him to goof up again, and try to paint the picture that he costs us every game like that. That's how it's always been with Maatta and the fan base. People see his lack of speed, label him worthless and turn the blinders on when he helps us win. Not saying you're exactly like those people, but I've seen that a lot over the years.

There's a good reason why he got offered that contract and why he's been trusted on the 1st pairing in the past. He's reliable.

Please have the capacity to not assume you're right about everything, and that other fans may see aspects of the game differently. I have been watching hockey for over 2 decades now.

Last edited by a moderator:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Blah blah blah Mcdavid this Mcdavid that. The kid isn't that great.

You're right.

He's ever better than great. Watch some video.

The whole goaltender/shot thing. I would just simply say this - guys are shooting the puck heavier than ever before. I don't care what a clock says for MPH. If you go to a practice and see how heavy these shots are. Even when some of the NHL guys jump into the adult league for the summer to get some ice time, their shots are so different from 10-15 years ago. They are freaking heavy. It's not just fast, the puck just has a heavy feel.

It's really hard to explain in words. You have to be on the ice and see/feel these bombs to really appreciate just what goalies have to do. And it's not just 1 or 2 guys shooting like this, it's over half the league. The releases are so quick.

Easy.

All wood sticks back. Good f***ing luck kids who only used carbon. You're little flickity wrist shots are about to lose half their speed. And you'll need actual space and time to get your shot off.

Reactions: ColePens

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
McDavid going up vs Maatta is gonna be funny for the least.

Murray better stand on his head again.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
You're right.

He's ever better than great. Watch some video.

Easy.

All wood sticks back. Good ****ing luck kids who only used carbon. You're little flickity wrist shots are about to lose half their speed. And you'll need actual space and time to get your shot off.
I'm very well aware of who he is, I've seen plenty of video and watched many games. I'm not ignorant.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

This is why I was saying that if McLellen was smart he’d not play McDavid against Crosby’s line (and therefore Letang-Dumo)....he’d match him up against our atrocious 2nd and 3rd D pairings...now with Yamamoto playing on his line, there’s even more speed to burn Olli with...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Can't Maatta just start skating off for a line change, even if under attack? That's what our players have been instructed, right?

...but yeah, Pens will have quite a storm to weather.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
This is why I was saying that if McLellen was smart he’d not play McDavid against Crosby’s line (and therefore Letang-Dumo)....he’d match him up against our atrocious 2nd and 3rd D pairings...now with Yamamoto playing on his line, there’s even more speed to burn Olli with...

Yes that game will be a must watch for sure. McDavid is so head and shoulders about everyone now it’s gonna be fun watching him play.

It’s been a long time since the best player in the world has not been playing in Pittsburgh :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Easy.

All wood sticks back. Good ****ing luck kids who only used carbon. You're little flickity wrist shots are about to lose half their speed. And you'll need actual space and time to get your shot off.

Truth to this for sure, but today's athletes are just flat out better.

Reactions: EightyOne

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yes he is... and it's okay. The Geno/Sid/Ovy era is coming to a close and the new wave of NHL kids are freaking incredible. We should be celebrating and not trying to defend a turf that is not even worth defending.

Pretty much. Mcdavid is an incredible talent. He might end up being even better than Sid. And I'm okay with that. I want to see great players play. That's why I watch.

There's nothing to be envious of anyways. Crosby has had an absurd amount of success both personally and in terms of the team. Mcdavid has a long way to go to match that.

Reactions: ColePens

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Easy.

There is a video floating out there of a few young NHLers trying to to use wooden sticks in practice and they didn’t like it at all.

I grew up on the Sherwood 5030 PMP and it was a featherweight wood stick (but it would feel like a brick now)... I bet I couldn’t even use it anymore sadly.

Pretty ironic because I refused to use any one piece comp stick for years until I finally forced myself to in the early 2000s. Hated those old Synergy one pieces with a passion.

Those were so damn pingy and I couldn’t feel the puck on my blade, but comps have come lightyears in feel since those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad