Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ok, we'll make this 1 about Dubinsky.

What people were wrong about last year was how good the team AND Dubinsky were the first 1/4 of the season or so, before his injury. And, the fact that Dubi ISN'T "dragging the team down". After the mediocre stretch in the middle of the year and then the team going hot at the end of the year, people made it seem like the last 1/4 and Vanek and Cole were the reason the team made the playoffs. The 1/4 at the beginning of the year is JUST as important as the LAST 1/4 of the year.

And, what about the "injury excuse" that gets thrown out there every time there's the smallest hint of any Wennberg ailment? Dubi had his eye socket broken by a 230lb dude sticking up for a teammate/the entire team and all you heard was a bunch of classless ****ing jokes. Yet, you and others try to pass off that people calling Wennberg "soft" are the most despicable people on the planet because they see Wenny attempt to block a few shots and dig a few pucks out of the corner each game.

The other thing THAT I TRIED TO GET PEOPLE TO ACKNOWLEDGE, is the impact that not only suffering the injury would have, but more importantly, THE IMPACT PUTTING A VISOR ON for the 1st time "ever" would have on his game. 1 of the most "tangible" things, other than an injury, that would affect somebody's "game". There (now) obviously was something else negatively affecting him last year and a bit before I'm sure, but quite frankly, after the preseason and few games to start this year, unlike Wenny, Dubi looks to have moved past his prior "issues".

Yeah, the first 1/4 isjust as important as the last1/4, we can agree there. However. doesn't matter which 1/4 you want to put it at, Dubinsky wasn't good last year. Torts said so, Management said so, and most importantly even Dubinsky said so. He was awful last year. No going around it. He was doing well before he got hurt this year, and hopefully on his way to a bounce back year, but you can't have a bounce back year unless you were injured or bad the year before, and he was both.

No, there has been no injury excuse with Wennberg ever. You said everyone gave Werenski injury passes last year, not Wennberg. Stick to your story. What kind of jokes were thrown at Dubinsky's injury? I can't recall any. The only "jokes" about him came from the Vegas incident/Porty report, not the Kassian fight.

Yeah, there was probably a period of time where he was getting used to the visor. IIRC it wasn't the first time he had worn one though (didn't he play in the World Cup and represent Team USA before?) so its not like it was something completely foreign to him. However, it doesn't change the fact he wasn't good last year. And thats fine, because last year is in the past. But its still something to be pointed out.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
AS THE original, first member of the "Wennberg Really Isn't That Good" Club, I will be adding to this thread, byt right now I am dealin with some other major crisis issues.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
AS THE original, first member of the "Wennberg Really Isn't That Good" Club, I will be adding to this thread, byt right now I am dealin with some other major crisis issues.

Well wishes comrade. The thread will be here when you get back.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm not paid to answer your snarky questions.

True enough. Question wasn’t intended to be snarky but I’ve asked snarky ones before so I can’t fault you. So I wonder why you bothered to craft a snarky reply, you know, if there’s nothing in it for you.

Anyway, it did appear that you were suggesting that goals-scored is the only measure of whether a player is earning his salary. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
...thus implying that you are paid to offer meretricious nonarguments with cherrypicked stats. :naughty: ;)

I'd ask if they're hiring, but I suspect you would not be prepared to put in a good word for me. :D
I'd write you a glowing recommendation! :D

(yes, I'm joking)

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
Wennberg looks a bit passive. He looks a tenth of a second behind on everything he does. He looks like he is trying to not screw up....trying to make Torts happy/do everything they told him to work on. I think he's going to be a key player at some point but he needs to be playing somewhere where the coach just says "Hey go be a badass on the ice. Trust your instincts and natural skill and put up 80 points this year".

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Criticism is warranted because he's not doing well. It's been disproportionate and poorly presented, though, and when folks point that out that's being treated by the hypercritics as meaning "there's nothing wrong with Wennberg, all is fine" instead of the more accurate "dude, it's bad but it's not nearly that bad, calm down".

I'm not entirely sure when "that bad" comes into play. I will say that it's 30+ PROD bad, which is in the realm of bottom six forward bad. He's clearly learning from some of our other highly paid forwards. Regression doesn't look good on him and he's paid to produce.

Reactions: CPTN71

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Wennberg looks a bit passive. He looks a tenth of a second behind on everything he does. He looks like he is trying to not screw up....trying to make Torts happy/do everything they told him to work on. I think he's going to be a key player at some point but he needs to be playing somewhere where the coach just says "Hey go be a badass on the ice. Trust your instincts and natural skill and put up 80 points this year".

I'm not sure if Wennberg knows how to spell "badass". I like to imagine Torts screaming in Wennberg's face just to see if he can get Wennberg to scream back. I'm curious.

I liked Wennberg's game last night and he's had three nifty primary assists already, so even with his obvious faults I think Wennberg's been contributing.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Wennberg looks a bit passive. He looks a tenth of a second behind on everything he does.

ezgif-5-64d28c4e236da19698bea506cb96.gif

:D

Reactions: CBJSTH

major major

Feb 18, 2013
To be fair, he got a hard pass way off his stick and tried to kick it to a shooting position and shoot it in one motion. Not exactly an easy thing to pull off.

I was assuming, though I perhaps shouldn't given the bias against Wennberg, that everyone knows it was nearly impossible to pull off.

If he pulled off a skate to stick, in the air, and at that speed, it would be a highlight reel goal as improbable as Duclair's.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wennberg almost foiled his bid at most points by a forward with no goals last night. He got a nice cross crease feed and put it on net. Would have gone in most nights but Crawford robbed him. I think it was on the PP and from Panarin but not sure.

rjgrp

Oct 8, 2018
4.9 million to skate around and put a stick down every once in a while. Does he even break a sweat? How does Torts scratch Milano and keep Alexander Fabio on the ice... not to mention the PP? His position should read - 'FS' (Figure Skater). He had to be one of the players Foligno was referring to after the LA game. 0 goals - 7 assists (but 5 were secondary).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Actually most of the assists were primary. He's a flawed player, but a total natural at setting up goals, if you didn't know.

So many of the critiques of Wennberg focus on aesthetics or caricature him as some absurdly soft player. I see a guy who is willing to battle in the corners, take a hit, block a shot, etc... If I was to critique him it would be that he's not tough enough mentally. He doesn't dictate the play with the puck as much as he could with his skill set.

It would do wonders for this club if he were to play up to his potential, and that's an issue for sure, but this thread was started with a false caricature.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
"Playmaker" that doesn't make very many plays.

I would like to see him at wing.

It would (possibly) be best for him and the team.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
4.9 million to skate around and put a stick down every once in a while. Does he even break a sweat? How does Torts scratch Milano and keep Alexander Fabio on the ice... not to mention the PP? His position should read - 'FS' (Figure Skater). He had to be one of the players Foligno was referring to after the LA game. A "rounder" with 0 goals and 7 accidental assists.

I shouldn't have to reply to this twice, but here we go.

Most of Wennberg's assists this year have been direct set-ups for goals, like last night's feed to Foligno. And even of the secondary assists, he's not an "accidental" producer. On Duclair's wrap-around goal, Wennberg made a nice pass through traffic to Murray at the opposite point, which had the defenders scrambling.

I've said it before, and it still holds true. If he's really that bad of a player, you wouldn't have to make stuff up to malign him.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Is it fair to say that Wennberg hasn’t been bad but also hasn’t been as good as the team needs (or if you are in the We Don’t Need Him to Be Better We Are Fine As Is crowd then substitute “needs” for “wants”) him to be?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Is it fair to say that Wennberg hasn’t been bad but also hasn’t been as good as the team needs (or if you are in the We Don’t Need Him to Be Better We Are Fine As Is crowd then substitute “needs” for “wants”) him to be?

If anyone's in that crowd, it's me, and I'm not in that crowd. We need Wennberg to be better, or we need to go out and get a Duchene type of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->