The all-purpose: Alexander Wennberg thread

Wennberg points estimate for 2019-20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I have to say that Cyclones going after Wennberg's attitude and professionalism is pretty rich after his stance in the Johansen drama. Perhaps I'm just biased in the other direction, but it looks like to me like we're grasping for clues of what's going on in Wennberg's head, and it's possible he's just very low-confidence. Whereas it was blatantly obvious we had a serious character problem in Johansen.

You're welcome to speculate but think about the gravity of some of these speculations.

I think it's very bold indeed to say that Wennberg's ice time could be directed by the FO. If there's truth to that then we have a huge issue with the coach and FO that's more important than Wennberg's ice time.

It's also not believable at this point that Jarmo favors Wennberg because of a Scandinavian bias. What's his highest drafted Finn at this point? And since when do Finns love Swedes? I don't know why you would bother speculating that.

Way to misrepresent my points.

I clearly stated that I had no idea what drives the TOI. That there may be an affinity due to Scandinavian heritage isn't exactly wild speculation. I didn't say that it drove the engine.

"Blatantly obvious" about Johansen character problems? Yeah. Whatever. He's really causing a lot of headaches in Nashville.

The level to which some will suck the FO toes on this site is laughable. Imagine what it would be if the CBJ were actually a really good team.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
FYI we've had comment and rebuttal on Johansen. We're not rehashing old discussions on that topic in this thread. Let's enjoy the continued first hashing of Wenny in here please and thank you.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The first post I quote here suggests that there has always been a player that certain posters (not always the same posters) will single out for criticism. Because that approach displays often severe myopia, it's hard to take any criticism of that player from certain posters seriously, even when it's warranted.

The second post I quote suggests that whipping boys are OK as long as "I" agree with that status.

One of these positions is utter BS. (Hint: It's the second one.)

In general, that this forum apparently needs a thread where lines in the sand can be drawn about a certain player because that discussion has dominated a GDT is pretty poor.

Nobody is going to be 100% "happy" or a "fan" of every player that's on their favorite team, or "happy" with how they or another player (they ARE a "fan" of) plays.

Almost every team in the NHL (even "true" contenders, and SC Champions) has "underperforming" players. Whether that "underperformance" is in relation to cap hit, "opportunity", "ability", or just simple expectations from a coach or the fans. They are not "whipping boys", as they absolutely have a negative effect on the team. To say that Wennberg has been (recently or always) individually or unfairly picked on, scapegoated, and turned into the "whipping boy" is false.

There may have been people (like myself) that were a little "tough" on Wenny his (legit terrible) 1st year, and since. But, I can say from my point of view, that most of my vocal negativity was IN RESPONSE to all the, imo, absolute overhyping of him from nearly "day 1".

This "poor-poor Wennberg" mindset, is laughable. And, ironically it could or should be seen as a part of essentially the MAIN (only?) problem that MOST (all?) of the supposed "Anti-Wennberg Brigade" has with Wennberg. He's just as "soft" as any of the "softest" players in the NHL. Remember, he also gets paid 100k a week to play hockey.

Again, to make it seem like Wennberg is singled out, whether fairly or unfairly, is false. There are plenty of guys who have WORSE things said about them that (imo) are clearly LESS deserved than what's thrown Wennberg way. I also find it "funny" how even the most "pro-Wennberg" people will attempt to HIDE in the middle of their comments that they essentially agree with what people are negatively saying about Wennberg, but at the same time attempt to claim that these people are biased and shouldn't be listened to because of said bias. As YOU say it, "even when its warranted". Purposefully ignoring or openly attacking an idea that you see as warranted? Talk about bias, huh.

So with that out of the way, if some of us can admit that SOME of his criticism is unwarranted can people admit that MOST of it isn't? Or should I just make a "Stop criticizing Dubinsky, Foligno, Jenner and Murray" thread? Or is all the degrading stuff thrown all these guys way after major knee surgery, sick children, and broken orbitals all "ok" and warranted?

Maybe its time to realize that maybe just MAYBE it seems like he has a disproportionate level of DISPLEASURE (not "hate") thrown his way, because as you would say, its warranted and/or deserved.

Last edited:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
For the sake of this thread and our fan base, I really hope Wennberg has a mimic performance of the game against Colorado.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He is on pace for 20.5 shots this season. With his career average 9% shooting percentage, he is on track to score 1.8 goals.

As I have learned, you cant argue the "numbers" and "facts"....

It's a riveting discussion, not at all dominated by posters being more concerned with other posters than with the topic.

That is only coming from 1 side. The 'anti Wennberg' side is "annoyed" WITH Wennberg, the 'pro Wennberg' side is "annoyed" with posters being "annoyed" with Wennberg. No?

that's my problem with him, is that he's content with being where is and not trying to better himself. He has the ability to be a first line center, it's just up to him if he wants to be one or not. As for damn expensive, Dubinsky makes more and I've never seen him more than a 3rd liner.

This isn't about Dubi, our 2nd best center this year.

I'm curious what the Torts-effect is on this player. He's not the kind of coach every player can work with. It was very apparent during that Vancouver season for example, when consistently very good performers like Edler and Hansen completely collapsed under Torts, and then again bounced back to their usual self the following season after he was fired. They both actually had that same kind of "public shaming" moment on the bench with Torts that Wennberg also had last season.

But that personnel managing style Torts uses is just not for everyone, and maybe it irks specifically Scandinavians more than others (different cultures, upbringings etc).

Bang-Bang right here. Emotionally soft, on the ice and on the bench.

For posterity's sake can somebody post the Torts/Wenny bench "incident"...

Reactions: CPTN71

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
that's my problem with him, is that he's content with being where is and not trying to better himself. He has the ability to be a first line center, it's just up to him if he wants to be one or not. As for damn expensive, Dubinsky makes more and I've never seen him more than a 3rd liner.

You need to post more. Your username absolutely kills me. Almost every time.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
FYI we've had comment and rebuttal on Johansen. We're not rehashing old discussions on that topic in this thread. Let's enjoy the continued first hashing of Wenny in here please and thank you.

:speechles

We CANT make this the 'All Encompassing Johansen/Wennberg Complaint' thread.....??

:whine: :cry:

:grinch:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That is only coming from 1 side. The 'anti Wennberg' side is "annoyed" WITH Wennberg, the 'pro Wennberg' side is "annoyed" with posters being "annoyed" with Wennberg. No?.

This is just a cursory check but in the GDT, a poster prefaces a critique of the player by addressing the pro-Pooh crowd; and in the same thread a poster wrapped up a critique with “Wenny is soft as I'm sure you (and others) imagine his hair being.”

Both of those fit the description I laid on both sides that you attempted to lay on one. And that’s just, as I said, a quick look.

Most of this thread seems constructive...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not taken as one. LOL. My man man Desharnais gained a reputation as a bad defensive player early on, but-and I used to argue against this all the time on the Montreal hfboard-no one could produce any statistical evidence that he was. Had to say this.:laugh:
I think one of the few things we can both unreservedly agree on is that Desharnais did not deserve one tenth of the crap thrown his way by Habs fans. ;)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe its time to realize that maybe just MAYBE it seems like he has a disproportionate level of DISPLEASURE (not "hate") thrown his way, because as you would say, its warranted and/or deserved.
Criticism is warranted because he's not doing well. It's been disproportionate and poorly presented, though, and when folks point that out that's being treated by the hypercritics as meaning "there's nothing wrong with Wennberg, all is fine" instead of the more accurate "dude, it's bad but it's not nearly that bad, calm down".

* * *​
That is only coming from 1 side. The 'anti Wennberg' side is "annoyed" WITH Wennberg, the 'pro Wennberg' side is "annoyed" with posters being "annoyed" with Wennberg. No?

Nope. The so-called "pro-Wennberg" side is simultaneously annoyed with Wennberg's flaws AND annoyed with posters here amplifying those flaws to such ludicrous extremes that no honest conversation can be had about them. ;)

EDIT: Well, almost no honest conversation to date. This thread so far seems to be doing OK.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I don’t get it with Torts . He’s tried everything under the sun to convince Wennberg to shoot , because he knows that one trick ponies won’t stay around long , in the nhl . Wennberg is at that point , Torts clearly upset by what he showed in camp , pointed out he would be keeping his eye on Wennberg. So when do u start motivating him , by actually benching him , or playing him on the 4th line . Bjork didn’t check enough , although he was one of our better scorers , and he can’t sniff the ice . It’s One of the things that drive me insane about Torts . He picks and chooses his tough love .

Me personally , I can appreciate a few things that Wennberg does well , but he’s a severely flawed player at this point , and probably the softest player I can remember in the Nhl

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don’t get it with Torts . He’s tried everything under the sun to convince Wennberg to shoot , because he knows that one trick ponies won’t stay around long , in the nhl . Wennberg is at that point , Torts clearly upset by what he showed in camp , pointed out he would be keeping his eye on Wennberg. So when do u start motivating him , by actually benching him , or playing him on the 4th line . Bjork didn’t check enough , although he was one of our better scorers , and he can’t sniff the ice . It’s One of the things that drive me insane about Torts . He picks and chooses his tough love .

Me personally , I can appreciate a few things that Wennberg does well , but he’s a severely flawed player at this point , and probably the softest player I can remember in the Nhl

I don't think you can say he has shown tough love to Bjorkstrand and not Wennberg. Wennberg's the one who gets chewed out, and has seen his ice time cut somewhat. And Bjorkstrand isn't in the dog house so much as he lost his minutes to guys like Duclair who are hot right now.

We'll know more when Dubinsky gets back, but for now if he puts Wennberg on the 4th line, that means a lot more minutes for Sedlak and Riley Nash. Does that make the Jackets a better team? I don't think it does. Nash is an important add for the club but what does he add that Wennberg doesn't do? Neither player shoots much - both will probably end up around 100 shots again. And the hard/soft distinction isn't persuading me - I see Wennberg battling on the wall just as much as anyone.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wennberg wants to be the first player since Kaberle in 2008 to join the 0 and 20 club (20+ points and no goals in a season) and the first forward to do so in NHL history.

But he can't do it alone. We should support him in his endeavor to make hockey history.

The record by the way is James Thomson (defenseman) on the 1947-48 Leafs who got 0 goals and 29 assists. I see Wennberg easily going 0-30-30.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Al Wennberg had 19 shots on goal in his last 23 regular season games last season. Add in his 1 this season in 4 games and he has 20 SOG in his last 27 games. That's a 60 shots on goal per 82 games pace. **** I went back far enough to create a one third of a season sample***

At his career 9% shooting percentage, Al is tracking at a 5 goals per season pace. Al's goals cost around a million bucks apiece. They had best be game winners.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Nobody is going to be 100% "happy" or a "fan" of every player that's on their favorite team, or "happy" with how they or another player (they ARE a "fan" of) plays.

Almost every team in the NHL (even "true" contenders, and SC Champions) has "underperforming" players. Whether that "underperformance" is in relation to cap hit, "opportunity", "ability", or just simple expectations from a coach or the fans. They are not "whipping boys", as they absolutely have a negative effect on the team. To say that Wennberg has been (recently or always) individually or unfairly picked on, scapegoated, and turned into the "whipping boy" is false.

Yet when the guns are pointed towards Dubinsky last year you were screaming from the rooftops about how wrong everyone was, and how we can't see all that he's doing for the team, and how people are going out of their way to pick on everything he does. etc

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Al Wennberg had 19 shots on goal in his last 23 regular season games last season. Add in his 1 this season in 4 games and he has 20 SOG in his last 27 games. That's a 60 shots on goal per 82 games pace. **** I went back far enough to create a one third of a season sample***

At his career 9% shooting percentage, Al is tracking at a 5 goals per season pace. Al's goals cost around a million bucks apiece. They had best be game winners.

All the players are measured in goals per million? Or just Wennberg?

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
All the players are measured in goals per million? Or just Wennberg?
What a bargain he was two seasons ago. But as you recall the bash then was merely that he was too soft. His numbers last season, you know when he played hurt, and his slow start this year have added a new bonus cudgel for his detractors

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yet when the guns are pointed towards Dubinsky last year you were screaming from the rooftops about how wrong everyone was, and how we can't see all that he's doing for the team, and how people are going out of their way to pick on everything he does. etc

Ok, we'll make this 1 about Dubinsky.

What people were wrong about last year was how good the team AND Dubinsky were the first 1/4 of the season or so, before his injury. And, the fact that Dubi ISN'T "dragging the team down". After the mediocre stretch in the middle of the year and then the team going hot at the end of the year, people made it seem like the last 1/4 and Vanek and Cole were the reason the team made the playoffs. The 1/4 at the beginning of the year is JUST as important as the LAST 1/4 of the year.

And, what about the "injury excuse" that gets thrown out there every time there's the smallest hint of any Wennberg ailment? Dubi had his eye socket broken by a 230lb dude sticking up for a teammate/the entire team and all you heard was a bunch of classless f***ing jokes. Yet, you and others try to pass off that people calling Wennberg "soft" are the most despicable people on the planet because they see Wenny attempt to block a few shots and dig a few pucks out of the corner each game.

The other thing THAT I TRIED TO GET PEOPLE TO ACKNOWLEDGE, is the impact that not only suffering the injury would have, but more importantly, THE IMPACT PUTTING A VISOR ON for the 1st time "ever" would have on his game. 1 of the most "tangible" things, other than an injury, that would affect somebody's "game". There (now) obviously was something else negatively affecting him last year and a bit before I'm sure, but quite frankly, after the preseason and few games to start this year, unlike Wenny, Dubi looks to have moved past his prior "issues".

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Ok, we'll make this 1 about Dubinsky.

What people were wrong about last year was how good the team AND Dubinsky were the first 1/4 of the season or so, before his injury. And, the fact that Dubi ISN'T "dragging the team down". After the mediocre stretch in the middle of the year and then the team going hot at the end of the year, people made it seem like the last 1/4 and Vanek and Cole were the reason the team made the playoffs. The 1/4 at the beginning of the year is JUST as important as the LAST 1/4 of the year.

And, what about the "injury excuse" that gets thrown out there every time there's the smallest hint of any Wennberg ailment? Dubi had his eye socket broken by a 230lb dude sticking up for a teammate/the entire team and all you heard was a bunch of classless ****ing jokes. Yet, you and others try to pass off that people calling Wennberg "soft" are the most despicable people on the planet because they see Wenny attempt to block a few shots and dig a few pucks out of the corner each game.

The other thing THAT I TRIED TO GET PEOPLE TO ACKNOWLEDGE, is the impact that not only suffering the injury would have, but more importantly, THE IMPACT PUTTING A VISOR ON for the 1st time "ever" would have on his game. 1 of the most "tangible" things, other than an injury, that would affect somebody's "game". There (now) obviously was something else negatively affecting him last year and a bit before I'm sure, but quite frankly, after the preseason and few games to start this year, unlike Wenny, Dubi looks to have moved past his prior "issues".
Your honor @Viqsi, let the record reflect I agree with bus for once.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Your honor @Viqsi, let the record reflect I agree with bus for once.
For disagreeing with me, this court holds you in contempt. :nono:

:sarcasm:

The issue isn't that Dubinsky took a lot of crap he didn't deserve last year - it's that issue juxtaposed with Wennberg taking a lot of crap he doesn't deserve this year, and the former being seen as a problem while the latter is seen as proper and natural.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If goals per million is the new way to measure players, then GM's around the league have a lot of work to do to fix their mistakes. I don't think Brian Burke can possibly atone for taking "Mr. 11 goals" Henrik Sedin at 3rd overall. Monumental error.

@thebus, putting a visor on does not change much. I would know. Dubinsky was in the fan dog-house before he got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->