Prospect Info: The all-encompassing WJC talk thread

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah, one bad effort vs being a top dman for the rest of the year on his team is definitely reason to question his abilities.

I swear people watch one game and think they're scouts.

Bouchard makes defensive mistakes pretty regularly, not just confined to this tournament.

With that said, I do think people put too much stock in this tournament. Hard to really assess individuals in such a chaotic paced environment on a team that doesn't have much time to gain chemistry.

Reactions: Aerrol

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Bouchard makes defensive mistakes pretty regularly, not just confined to this tournament.

With that said, I do think people put too much stock in this tournament. Hard to really assess individuals in such a chaotic paced environment on a team that doesn't have much time to gain chemistry.

The way i see it, these tournaments are a way for fans to get a glimpse into the player, but so many here treat it like it tells the entire story.

We knew bouchard wasn't a defensive stalwart when we drafted him, and I'm sure he has some warts in junior that he needs to work out, but this statement was clearly based off of a single highlight.

I just wish people weren't so quick to call themselves experts because they saw a 3-4 games of a kids 100+ junior career.

Reactions: Yeah15 and Aerrol

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Hate how the teams don't get re-seeded after the quarterfinals. Whoever wins between USA/Russia gets the gold.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I would encourage everyone to watch John Carlson, who Bouchard gets compared to a lot. Dude does the same stuff. Caught standing straight up in his own end, missed coverage, reaching in late. But hey, he just won a cup last summer and played a massive role in winning it all.

I don't think BOuchard is trending to be a godly 2-way D. He's going to be very heavy on the offensive side. And that is something we are desperate for, and even if he makes defensive errors, if he lives up to his potential offensively, that's going to be perfectly fine. We are loaded to the hilt with stay home guys that can play the shutdown minutes, and those guys are easier to find than high end offensive D.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Comtois apparently played the whole tournament with a separated shoulder which again doesn’t make it look good that he was out there taking the penalty shot. Still valiant effort.

Reactions: ujju2

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Comtois apparently played the whole tournament with a separated shoulder which again doesn’t make it look good that he was out there taking the penalty shot. Still valiant effort.

I wont blame the player at all. A passionate kid trying to score for his country. The coach is an idiot though if he knew about that injury. Not only does it not give you your best chance to win, but you're putting that poor kid in a position to fail. Thats not what a leader does. Suzuki. Glass. Frost. There were better options who were healthy.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
I’m no
I wont blame the player at all. A passionate kid trying to score for his country. The coach is an idiot though if he knew about that injury. Not only does it not give you your best chance to win, but you're putting that poor kid in a position to fail. Thats not what a leader does. Suzuki. Glass. Frost. There were better options who were healthy.
I’m not blaming him. I think it’s shitty Hunter had him out there taking that shot knowing his shoulder was f***ed.

Reactions: ujju2 and Aerrol

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
I've separated my shoulder and barely felt any pain and had no limitations.

And there are people I know that have seprerated their shoulder and had ongoing rotator cuff issues ever since. It’s different for everyone. Since Comtois is now out for a couple weeks, I suspect it’s different for him too than what you experienced.

Reactions: Aerrol

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Seperated shoulders can put a guy out for weeks as well depending on the severity....I guess some have to blame somebody

North

Jun 25, 2009

My only issue with Comtois was the flopping.

Him missing the PS was something that happens.

As others have said, it’s Hunter’s fault for picking him to take the shot.

With the amount of talent he had on the team, Hunter’s coaching really limited what he got out of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad