Prospect Info: The all-encompassing WJC talk thread

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Ty Smith is really shoving a lot of Oil fans words down their throats. He had a damn good tournament and has been lighting up the WHL.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

North

Jun 25, 2009
As much as the d was underwhelming, the forwards were far more disappointing. Scoring two goals total against Russia and Finland? No way you are winning if your forwards can’t put the puck in the net.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

North

Jun 25, 2009
Ty Smith is really shoving a lot of Oil fans words down their throats. He had a damn good tournament and has been lighting up the WHL.

I would have been okay with picking him if Bouchard hadn’t been available but while Smith was good he still made a pretty costly mistake.

None of Canada’s d really separated themselves from the pack.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
And despite it being a small tournament, Bouchard looked horrendous much more than he looked good. I'm starting to wonder about this prospect and if being a Knight might have played a part in being ranked so high.

Reactions: Studz

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The defence never seemed to get involved in the game.

Rather Hunter seemed to want the forwards to get the puck quickly and then let them do all the work, while keeping a 3rd forward high. Sadly this just lead to a lot of individualistic rushes and bland cycling in the corner, leading to nothing.

Not surprised that none of them really looked good.

Reactions: Aerrol and Oilhawks

North

Jun 25, 2009
And despite it being a small tournament, Bouchard looked horrendous much more than he looked good. I'm starting to wonder about this prospect and if being a Knight might have played a part in being ranked so high.

This tournament tells us nothing. Bouchard has been dominant with London and his return also had a positive effect on Boqvist’s game.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Well the euros caught up to canada in toughness at one point in time.
Passed Canada in goaltending at one point in time.
And have 100% for passed them in coaching at least at the junior level. We seem to pick the worst coaches all too often. Like stunningly bad.

Reactions: Aerrol

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Well the euros caught up to canada in toughness at one point in time.
Passed Canada in goaltending at one point in time.
And have 100% for passed them in coaching at least at the junior level. We seem to pick the worst coaches all too often. Like stunningly bad.
Curious as what what great tactics Finland did & what horrific tactics Team Canada employed

Reactions: BleedingOil

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I always liked him. I never understood why he was rated distinctly below the group of Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard and Hughes. To me he was right in that group.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We came out way too jittery in that game, half the job of a WJC coach is just controlling the emotional level of the group trying to not let them get too high or too low and trying to get the nerves out of players games. I didn't like how we were trying to break the puck in the zone and it felt like our zone entry rate with possession was really stifling our offense.

As for Bouchard he's the kind of d-man who plays better with structure and I didn't find a whole lot of it in these games, like Nurse being a rover was great at playing into the chaos of the WJC, but the more structured NHL game has been a tough adjustment for him. I have zero concerns with respect to Bouchard his play in main camp and back in London speaks for itself.

Ty Smith was quite good though and I was one of the most vocal individuals in my support for him as a possible selection at 10, though at the time I wasn't exactly expecting Bouchard to slide to us.

Reactions: LaGu and North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->