TV: The All - Encompassing Star Trek Thread. Debate Long + Prosper

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
As long as it doesn't result in a stupid car chase battle it might be okay for Stewart's influence to be there...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Decided to watch all of Next Generation.

Season 1 started off really rough but looking better by Episode 8 or 9, when Q gives powers to Riker. Almost everything between the Pilot (which was solid) to that one was rather cringe-worthy.

At the same time, last time I watched a lot of these was as a child in the early 90's, part of me thinks it might be best to let the show live on in my distorted memories because it hasn't lived up to them so far.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Decided to watch all of Next Generation.

Season 1 started off really rough but looking better by Episode 8 or 9, when Q gives powers to Riker. Almost everything between the Pilot (which was solid) to that one was rather cringe-worthy.

At the same time, last time I watched a lot of these was as a child in the early 90's, part of me thinks it might be best to let the show live on in my distorted memories because it hasn't lived up to them so far.

Season 1 of tng is super rough. There's no getting around it. Season 2 is better, but not great outside of some standout episodes (Measure of a man).

Things didn't get really good until season 3

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Say Hello to 'Star Trek: Picard'

STP.png

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That's a rather dumb name, but I'm hardly surprised. CBS is no doubt afraid that not as many casual fans will pay attention otherwise.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Michael Chabon is a good writer. That's really the only hope for this show.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Almost done going through the three seasons of the original series. Great fun and some excellent science fiction in there.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

I haven't watched the clip yet, but there's something different about Picard. I guess that it's the hair and the beard.

Almost done going through the three seasons of the original series. Great fun and some excellent science fiction in there.

Just wait until you get to Star Trek Discovery. Based on my understanding of your tastes and standards, you're sure to love it.

:sarcasm:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This Picard series is giving me This Is Us vibes. Not sure it'll work well for Star Trek.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Episode 1: Picard laments that everyone he knew and loved is gone and he is all that remains of his generation of Starfleet explorers.

Episode 2: he meets time-displaced Michael Burnham who teaches him to feel again and he decides to mentor her to save the universe, but the twist is that she's actually the one mentoring him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

A lot of interesting data in here about which Star Trek shows are more and least liked, and by which generations.

Pretty damning to Discovery that it's universally disliked by every age group.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was an interesting read.

It warms my heart to see TNG liked so much by all generations. I might've guessed that the oldest Trek fans would still have something against it and millennials and Gen-Zers (those who aren't yet adults) would find it too outdated nowadays.

I like how exactly 2000 millennials participated in the survey.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've been watching Star Trek: The Animated Series for the first time. I guess that I put it off for so long because I figured that it was a cartoon or "Star Trek for kids." I'm pleasantly surprised to find that it's not really. It feels a lot like TOS, just animated and with shorter episodes (half an hour long each, which makes the stories a bit simpler, but only in details, not scope). It really helps that all of the original cast provide the voices (not just the main three, as I think that I assumed), and some of the writers are the same, too. I'm enjoying watching it because it's like discovering a fourth TOS season. Anyways, it's on Amazon Prime.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->