TV: The All - Encompassing Star Trek Thread. Debate Long + Prosper

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I get the feeling that CBS/Paramount is trying to milk Star Trek like Disney is milking Star Wars, only on the TV side instead of the film side.
I think all these studios see what Disney has been able to achieve with the MCU and want to replicate that model with their own properties.

Problem is, no one has been able to do it successfully except Marvel. Disney themselves don't look like they're going to be able to do it with Star Wars.

As much as I've wanted to see Stewart as Picard again and a TNG sequel, if it's anything like Discovery, I'd rather not have it. The last thing that I want is for Kurtzman to taint my all-time favorite series.
The TNG movies already kind of tainted it. Especially First Contact and Nemesis.

Kurtzman will probably make it worse though.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Ugh, I am not pleased that Kurtzman is being given the keys to Star Trek. Everything is going to be nostalgic fan service while also ticking off the old fans at the same time.

-I wouldn't mind seeing Picard in a cameo one last time, but that's it.
-The only Khan thing that would interest me is a Eugenics War story, but I also kinda think the concept of that is outdated.
-Animated show could be good, but yeah it'll probably be aimed at kids.(I think an animated show could show some really interesting alien designs/worlds though)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

I was serious. Maybe you suspected that I was proposing that as the series, itself. No, I was suggesting that that's what his retirement that they drag him out of (probably to help Starfleet fight a resurgent Borg) might look like.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I was serious. Maybe you suspected that I was proposing that as the series, itself. No, I was suggesting that that's what his retirement that they drag him out of (probably to help Starfleet fight a resurgent Borg) might look like.
Okay I misunderstood.

Any new Trek series has to be filled with action, violence, sex and explosions. I actually think they'll re-cast Picard with a younger actor so they can show his pre-TNG days. They'll bring in Patrick Stewart as a marketing ploy. He'll be featured in an occasional flash-forward or something. Sort of like what they did with Nimoy in the Abram's Trek movies.

Personally I'd much rather see an older Picard on the Vineyard getting into fights with Robert and hanging out with his old crew mates. That sounds much more interesting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Alex Kurtzman Inks $25M Overall Deal Extension With CBS TV Studios, Will Expand 'Star Trek' TV Franchise

Alex Kurtzman Sets Five-Year CBS TV Studios Pact, Will Oversee Expanded ‘Star Trek’ Universe

Not only is Alex Kurtzman the new sole showrunner of Discovery, but he will also be in charge of Star Trek as a whole on the TV side.

SOME OF THE NEW TREK SHOWS REPORTEDLY IN THE WORKS:
-A teen-oriented series set at Starfleet Academy from Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz, the duo behind the recent Dynasty reboot and Marvel’s Runaways adaptation.
(Teen oriented? No thanks. Yuck.)

-A limited series with a currently confidential plot.
(There's rumors this could involve Patrick Stewart as Picard)

-A limited series based around the beloved character Khan, from the original Star Trek and the classic film The Wrath of Khan—something that’s been rumored for a while as being spearheaded by Wrath of Khan director Nicholas Meyer.
(More Khan? Lame. Although I love Nicholas Meyer I don't care about Khan. The franchise needs to move on.)

-An animated series with another currently confidential plot.
(Yawn. Don't care at all. It will probably be aimed at kids.)
All of these idea sound terrible. I'm devastated that this hack has been given full control over the franchise now, one series was bad enough.

Reactions: johnjm22

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Okay I misunderstood.

Any new Trek series has to be filled with action, violence, sex and explosions. I actually think they'll re-cast Picard with a younger actor so they can show his pre-TNG days. They'll bring in Patrick Stewart as a marketing ploy. He'll be featured in an occasional flash-forward or something. Sort of like what they did with Nimoy in the Abram's Trek movies.

Personally I'd much rather see an older Picard on the Vineyard getting into fights with Robert and hanging out with his old crew mates. That sounds much more interesting.

Robert and Rene died in a needlessly cruel and mostly pointless minor plot aside in the first tng movie.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You guys know my opinions about Discovery, but I have to agree with everyone else that these ideas sound terrible.

The 90210 in space idea in particular is likely going to be a disaster.

I'd rather not see Starfleet cadets and their love triangles.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
They'll have a senile crazy Picard trapped in a holo deck playing his private eye character while screaming that there are 2 lights. Every week will have a special guest star from the old NG days that shows up in the holo deck playing a villain. Picard keeps jumping time lines in the holodeck so that he can become a private eye in the 80's wearing zaba pants and a mesh shirt, or in the 90's where he's grunged up.

His friends are hopefully that his next time leap will bring him back to sanity and home.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Remember when ST had competent people at the helm?

- Berman
- Pillar
- Behr
- Moore

I choose to read this as "remember when Star Trek had Star Trek people at the helm."

The biggest problem now is that modern execs think it's better to slap the Star Trek name on whatever focus groups, market research and disconnected studio heads think people want in their Sci-Fi in general, rather than creating a chance for creative folk invested in the property to do something entertaining with it that will attract viewers.

If I may be indulged in using a classic Trek plot exposition device, the "Phlebotinum Analogy" (aka "explain a specific, technical, often fantastic plot issue in relatable analogous terms that the character (and thereby the audience) can understand" technique)

It's like walking into a restaurant and ordering a steak, only to get a piece of chicken that's been cut and cooked to sort of resemble a steak. And then the waiter tells you that this is better because it allegedly gives the steak-eaters what they want (something they swear is a passable facsimile of actual steak), but also being what all the people who wouldn't normally eat at the steakhouse want too (chicken that isn't the stuffy, boring, unevolved steak that their parents ate and they've never cared for). When instead what they should do is get chefs who know how to make the best damn steak you've ever tasted so that all the chicken eaters will come to the restaurant curious, try the steak, and say "you know what? This is really really good."

Admittedly that's a terribly clunky analogy that I mostly did to set up and pay off a bit of (bad) meta Trek 'humor', but the point stands:

A wider audience will watch a show that is unmistakably Star Trek at its core as long as it is good. But the built-in Star Trek fan audience won't necessarily sit happily through a show that is mostly engineered to attract the anti-Trek crowd by disavowing the franchise's spirit, no matter how much of a glossy Trek-ish veneer you paint onto its surface layers.

As an aside, I also continue to be astonished as I watch the make-up competition reality show "Face-Off" which is judged by two of the people responsible for Discovery's Klingon redesign and those judges habitually chastise contestants on failures of design and aesthetic that are very much at the core of their Klingon makeups' problems (too difficult to speak clearly in, too difficult to emote through, baked-in expression/emotion, violating the spirit of the design inspiration in order to do something cool but unrelated, drifting too far outside the confines of the task handed to them so that it no longer looks like it belongs to what they were asked to do, etc). Every time Glenn carps at some contestant because the makeup turns the actor underneath it into a range-less mannequin, I tear my hair out because he crafted a set of Klingons that look like they strolled off some 15-year-old emo kid's DeviantArt profile and sound like they all just got out of major dental surgery and still have the gauze stuffed in their mouths.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
On top of that, Worf has had his story told through out two series and a multitude of movies. There isn't much more you can do with the character.

TBH, I'm not down with the Picard series either. Picard has also had his story told. His story is over, was over, a long time ago.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
On top of that, Worf has had his story told through out two series and a multitude of movies. There isn't much more you can do with the character.

That isn't part of Dorn's reasoning, though. The article mentions that he wouldn't rule out a meatier role and he was trying to get a Worf-centric series started about 10 years ago, so he feels that there's a lot more that could be done with his character. It looks like he's turning down the possibility of a cameo so that the writers come to him with more than a cameo.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
That isn't part of Dorn's reasoning, though. The article mentions that he wouldn't rule out a meatier role and he was trying to get a Worf-centric series started about 10 years ago, so he feels that there's a lot more that could be done with his character. It looks like he's turning down the possibility of a cameo so that the writers come to him with more than a cameo.

Oh i know he didn't say this was one of the reasons, however, it's just a personal line of thought

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->