The All Encompassing JR Thread

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Id hook up with Tampa this offseason. Palat, Johnson and Miller might be on the move, and they'd all be varying levels of good with Malkin. Certainly better track records on scoring lines than McCann, Rust, Simon, etc. They all make about 5 mil, Palat gives you a bit more defense and playmaking. Johnson is a better Sheary who can play center as well. And Miller seems a lot like Saad for a mil cheaper.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Id hook up with Tampa this offseason. Palat, Johnson and Miller might be on the move, and they'd all be varying levels of good with Malkin. Certainly better track records on scoring lines than McCann, Rust, Simon, etc. They all make about 5 mil, Palat gives you a bit more defense and playmaking. Johnson is a better Sheary who can play center as well. And Miller seems a lot like Saad for a mil cheaper.

And what exactly are you trading them?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
And what exactly are you trading them?

They want to shed cap space. So picks we get for moving some of our older core pieces.

I'd imagine a 2nd rounder for Miller would do the trick.

Won't be easy to navigate because we have to trade players to bring new ones in obviously.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
They want to shed cap space. So picks we get for moving some of our older core pieces.

Won't be easy to navigate because we have to trade players to bring new ones in obviously.
the thing that makes that hard is that those guys are clearly better than the guys we are trying to dump. That's why we want to dump ours and add these guys. So I can't imagine we'll be finding many takers on our guys before Tampa's guys are already gone. Even if we can move ours before then, we likely won't get as much back as these guys will cost to acquire.

The fact that they need to trade them likely won't be lowering their costs much since there will still be competition to acquire these guys. That will drive the cost up just as much as Tampa's need to move them will drop it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
the thing that makes that hard is that those guys are clearly better than the guys we are trying to dump. That's why we want to dump ours and add these guys. So I can't imagine we'll be finding many takers on our guys before Tampa's guys are already gone. Even if we can move ours before then, we likely won't get as much back as these guys will cost to acquire.

The fact that they need to trade them likely won't be lowering their costs much since there will still be competition to acquire these guys. That will drive the cost up just as much as Tampa's need to move them will drop it.

Na. NHL GMs are like vultures. They sense a team needs to move a player/s, they make the cost to acquire as cheap as possible.

If we were talking Tampa trying to shed Kucherov, Point, etc, then yeah, that's one thing.

We're talking 2nd line caliber players coming off meh to poor seasons.

Obviously that applies to us to in terms of shedding cap, but if we're acquiring forwards, Kessel is likely gone and I don't see him going for anything less than a 1st+. More than enough to flip for more complementary younger players like the ones I listed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Na. NHL GMs are like vultures. They sense a team needs to move a player/s, they make the cost to acquire as cheap as possible.

If we were talking Tampa trying to shed Kucherov, Point, etc, then yeah, that's one thing.

We're talking 2nd line caliber players coming off meh to poor seasons.
so what are we getting for the guys we are trying to get rid of?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
so what are we getting for the guys we are trying to get rid of?

I edited my post, but if we're acquiring forwards, Kessel is gone IMO. He's netting more than any of the players I mentioned.

Rust can probably bring back a 2nd rounder since he doesn't make a ton and has recent playoff pedigree as well as fitting what this league is now to a T. PH to the right team could net a late 1st.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I edited my post, but if we're acquiring forwards, Kessel is gone IMO. He's netting more than any of the players I mentioned.
Not sure I agree with that, especially since he has control over where we can send him.

Rust can probably bring back a 2nd rounder since he doesn't make a ton and has recent playoff pedigree as well as fitting what this league is now to a T. PH to the right team could net a late 1st.
The reasons Rust has value are also reasons why I don't want to move Rust :laugh:

As for Horny, I'm not sure we can move him for just picks. I think we'd be taking salary back. Not until he gets a chance to play again and prove whether he can bounce back from the concussions.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He’s a UFA. We probably trade Maatta and sign him for “pushback”

I have no doubt if there is bad defenseman who’s big and physical but does nothing else well JR will be out there trying to trade for him or sign him...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’d boycott if the D included Johnson, Girardi and Gudbranson. I wouldn’t watch a single game so long as Rutherford was GM. I’m almost at that point already with just JJ.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think all the talk about where our wingers should be playing is based on a bad hypothesis, and that is that we should be assigning places semi-permanently based on their aggregated level rather than assigning and re-assigning based on the form curve, which in the case of most of our wingers is quite extreme.

I'd love to get more players who have lesser form curves but until that's the case I think its best to stay flexible and rotate regularly.

Also, while I appreciate that we're looking to win Cups and that means looking to be better than average, but I'm pretty sure that if the entire NHL redrafted again based on current players, a lot of our wingers that people think shouldn't be in the top 6/top 9 would end up in someone's top 6/top 9.

We don't have a 2nd for the next two years and in a world where Andrew Shaw cost 2 2nds, Miller's going to require more.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I’d boycott if the D included Johnson, Girardi and Gudbranson. I wouldn’t watch a single game so long as Rutherford was GM. I’m almost at that point already with just JJ.
Honestly, I stopped watching games already this season.

It's been one line+one d-pair + a goalie show for almost entire of season.

If JR and Sully will still rule the ship, that's might be it for 87/71 era. I don't see them(managment/coaching) saddenly change to a good direction again.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

I'm at that point with Letang. I know how it ends. Get a lead, he gets aggressive for no reason and pinches and blows lead or game. Until he's traded there's really no point.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
The Jets have to be in win now mode.

Hornqvist and a 3rd
For
Lowery Samberg and a 2nd

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Why would JR add to the defense when he's already stated it's the best he's ever had?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Who? Teddy looked lost as a 4th line wing and Johnson was fine, but ZAR actually produced.

Blueger did not look lost as a 4th line wing.

Not a ZAR fan, but acting like AJ in and ZAR out is the secret to our identity is foolish especially consider Kuhnhackl and Rowney played nearly all of each cup run.

It's not "the secret to our identity". But AJ and TB clearly better fit the speed/aggressive forecheck identity better than ZAR and Wilson, a couple of plodders who aren't fast enough to force the opposition.

# 1. Wilson and ZAR are nothing like Glass Adams and is the laziest argument on here. They’re fringe NHL talent, but they play creative games and don’t just punch faces.

What the

# 2. Rust - Malkin - Kessel was used in the playoffs and was mediocre and was used in the regular season for 50ish minutes was pretty mediocre as well.

For 8 minutes.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

I feel like you’re insistence on RMK is because we have not seen it rather than any merit reason.

Precisely.

Because we haven't seen it, the idea that Rust isn't as good on LW is baseless, and we have a surplus of RWs.

That's 3 compelling reasons right there.

So McCann is your best LWer then? That's even worse :laugh:

I fail to see the problem here. We're living in a cap world, you're not going to have stars at every position.

The mix of our forward group is off right now, but there's nothing inherently wrong talent-wise with having complementary two-way wingers like McCann and Rust in the top 6 if you have elite offensive wingers like Guentzel and Kessel opposite them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I fail to see the problem here. We're living in a cap world, you're not going to have stars at every position.

The mix of our forward group is off right now, but there's nothing inherently wrong talent-wise with having complementary two-way wingers like McCann and Rust in the top 6 if you have elite offensive wingers like Guentzel and Kessel opposite them.

You don't need to want a star at every position to say that a fringe 2nd/3rd liner as your best LWer isn't good enough.

In an ideal world, I think you have one of McCann or Rust in the top-6 and one on the 3rd line. I'd probably say McCann in the top-6 and Rust on the 3rd line would be my preference, because I think McCann's upside is higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad