The Alex Pietrangelo Appreciation Thread

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'll go back to what I said elsewhere: one day, Pietrangelo will get welcomed back here. It will be a massive lovefest, everyone will forget about this period of time and what led to him leaving and whatever hard feelings there were between all the parties, there will be tears of joy as we celebrate his return, and everyone will remember all the great things he did here and how good he was and :blah::blah::blah:.

That's somewhere down the road. We're not there yet. Not remotely close. All of this will have to heal, and for some those wounds are going to take a long time to do so. But for someone who was a top-5 Norris Trophy finalist 3x and a 2nd-team All-Star 3x on top of the Cup win, who was highly regarded yet never truly acclaimed elite because he didn't put up gaudy offensive numbers like Karlsson, Burns, Carlson and others who went on to win the Norris or didn't get all the hot press like Doughty and Keith and more recently Josi, he was a stalwart for this franchise and his place among Blues legends is forever guaranteed.

How all of that just gets discarded to the trashbin of Blues history like he wasn't even Steve Poapst or Christer Olsson or Jason Marshall, I don't get. In time, I think everyone else will agree, and I look forward to the day when he's back and he's in the fold as a member of the Blues alumni, calling the St. Louis area home again and raising the family here, and we think first and foremost of him wearing the Bluenote with the Cup held on high and anything that's not him with the Blues is a distant, almost forgotten memory that gets swept toward that trashbin instead.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'll go back to what I said elsewhere: one day, Pietrangelo will get welcomed back here. It will be a massive lovefest, everyone will forget about this period of time and what led to him leaving and whatever hard feelings there were between all the parties, there will be tears of joy as we celebrate his return, and everyone will remember all the great things he did here and how good he was and :blah::blah::blah:.

That's somewhere down the road. We're not there yet. Not remotely close. All of this will have to heal, and for some those wounds are going to take a long time to do so. But for someone who was a top-5 Norris Trophy finalist 3x and a 2nd-team All-Star 3x on top of the Cup win, who was highly regarded yet never truly acclaimed elite because he didn't put up gaudy offensive numbers like Karlsson, Burns, Carlson and others who went on to win the Norris or didn't get all the hot press like Doughty and Keith and more recently Josi, he was a stalwart for this franchise and his place among Blues legends is forever guaranteed.

How all of that just gets discarded to the trashbin of Blues history like he wasn't even Steve Poapst or Christer Olsson or Jason Marshall, I don't get. In time, I think everyone else will agree, and I look forward to the day when he's back and he's in the fold as a member of the Blues alumni, calling the St. Louis area home again and raising the family here, and we think first and foremost of him wearing the Bluenote with the Cup held on high and anything that's not him with the Blues is a distant, almost forgotten memory that gets swept toward that trashbin instead.
The next game with fans where St Louis hosts Vegas, I’ll be shocked if Pietro doesn’t get a huge ovation.

As for the behind the scenes stuff and integrating into the alumni activities, maybe that takes a little longer. But it’s kind of moot since he has several years of playing before then.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Petro is the man.
I'm proud to have a Pietrangelo jersey.

I guess the only thing to do now is send it in to get a Stanley cup patch sewn on

I also have a Pietrangelo jersey i'm proud to own one. I debating whether to frame it or not as I don't plan on wearing it again and don't want to keep it in the closet or should I keep wearing it?

Last edited:

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
The Blues have had a lot of great players in it's history and a lot of great captains as well, But Pietrangelo in my book will always be a legend. The first captain in Blues history to hoist the Stanley Cup that so many captains that came before him only wished they could've done. I have that iconic photo of him on the wall behind me. Petro is a true warrior, He may be gone but he will never be forgotten.

And the next game with fans where St Louis hosts Vegas I hope there will be a huge standing ovation for #27

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yeah, I have a Pietrangelo, Fabbri, Tarasenko (who knows with his shoulder), and Demitra (from when I was a kid) jersey. I wanted to buy a Thomas jersey, but for everyone’s sake I think I’ll just stick with what I have lest I curse another member of the team.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I also have a Pietrangelo jersey i'm proud to own one. I debating whether to frame it or not as I don't plan on wearing it again and don't want to keep it in the closet or should I keep wearing it?

I still may wear mine, but it will be very occasionally. I tend to be very careful with jerseys as it is - I always take them off before I eat, or if I'm in a situation where something may spill etc.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks, just read through this Thread and wanted to give a tip of the hat to you.

One of the things I enjoy about HF is Threads like this, where a fan base can express their thoughts about their hockey heroes, even when they leave.

It gives Members like me, as a fan of the game, a real sense of how much a player like AP impacted his Team/Community.

I recognize there are always a small % who will express their loss bitterly:
87296411-C3F5-4210-B1FA-3D3D0448ABF3.gif

But, this Board has been very positive, as I expected:
F4EB5013-DA83-4D16-B07A-34575E5335CF.gif

I look forward to the day we see AP honoured. I’d really like to see him come back to the organization in the future.

Cheers

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I agree with Bobby Orrtuzzo. I'm not trying to pick on you or be mean. I don't want to see anymore Petro posts or updates not just from you but everybody. He's gone, He isn't a Blue anymore, Time to move on. I have, and you should too.
I would recommend that you two should probably just ignore the thread then.

Reactions: Ranksu

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
The second I heard that there was something about the contract situation that was sticky, I just kind of instinctively entered hope for the best but expect the worst mode.
Are NMCs riskier to give out than extra term/cash? I sometimes wonder if they are given out too freely for the sake of cementing a roster that has chemistry at a particular point in time, but then it leaves a situation that doesn't age well.

I guess I kind of choose to believe that whatever happened, happened in good faith - but that's just me.

Reactions: MissouriMook

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
At the time I didn't think anything of it but after recent events I keep thinking back to the last game in the bubble where the Blues were eliminated maybe Petro knew all long that he couldn't get something done with Army hence his reaction. He was almost crying and Perron was hugging him as they left the ice. I remember watching the the press conference after said game Petro was trying his hardest to keep it together, he was also quite shifty and maybe mumbled 2 words. So yeah maybe he knew something, if he knew that he was staying then he would've acted differently.

I also remember watching the end of season press conference with Petro and he said he wanted to remain a St Louis Blue maybe that was his plea to DA to sign him.

What's done is done but to me it's still one of the biggest blunders in Blues history.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Aw man, a real gotcha moment for you. Please stop telling people to move on. You and I both know the spirit of that rule, and it wasn’t to protect your precious feelings about him as a Vegas player.
Yes, getting constant updates on a player that’s no longer here’s every little move sounds way more enjoyable, my bad.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->