The Alex Pietrangelo Appreciation Thread

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think ... I believe ... I think ... I believe ... this is about the quality of opinion piece I'd expect in the local Ragtown Times from Johnny the town drunk.

Spin machine is in overdrive. If there is an disagreement and someone tells you one side did everything perfect, don't trust that guy. Especially when he makes his living off of the side he said was perfect.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Spin machine is in overdrive. If there is an disagreement and someone tells you one side did everything perfect, don't trust that guy. Especially when he makes his living off of the side he said was perfect.

It absolutely amazes me that Blues fans took Buffalo's reporters to task for the last 2 years over how they handled the O'Reilly thing and are buying the same exact bullshit about Pietrangelo hook line and sinker from media who still has to deal with the Blues but don't have to deal with Petro closely. Just comes across as a shocking lack of self awareness.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
upload_2020-10-13_1-32-23.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I appreciated Pietrangelo for being the kind of good guy that Backes was. Nothing negative ever hit the news about the guy and a lot of positive things did. He took one for the team by being filmed saying "I am a guardian of childhood'"

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Man some of these threads are getting hard to read. I'm glad Petro got the structure he wanted. Sucks that he's gone, I'll still root for him, it is what it is.

It's understandable. Im happy he got what he wanted. I just didn't like the way he handled things like the lying. That's water under the bridge now. It sucks that he's gone wish he was still here.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's understandable. Im happy he got what he wanted. I just didn't like the way he handled things like the lying. That's water under the bridge now. It sucks that he's gone wish he was still here.
I don't think he's lying, I think there is probably a lot of misinterpretations out there being fueled by Strickland and Rutherford. Neither of them are doing it on purpose, just stuff is being lost in translation through sources and texts. As far as what Petro is saying to the media, it's all political talk for Vegas' fans.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I don't think he's lying, I think there is probably a lot of misinterpretations out there being fueled by Strickland and Rutherford. Neither of them are doing it on purpose, just stuff is being lost in translation through sources and texts. As far as what Petro is saying to the media, it's all political talk for Vegas' fans.

I'm reading too much into it

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Man some of these threads are getting hard to read. I'm glad Petro got the structure he wanted. Sucks that he's gone, I'll still root for him, it is what it is.
Im going to watch more Vegas games now.

This Pietro has more affect what Army has yet realize. This has more to do with fanbase, community, legacy than business. This might even affect business when you lose such a big face of this franchise and how everything dient down.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Thanks for everything Alex, I will never forget that you captained the 2019 Stanley Cup Champions and lifted a heavy weight off all our shoulders. I will also never forget that you handed the Cup off to your good friend and teammate Jay Bouwmeester who I adore. Best of luck to you and I wish you well on this next chapter in your life.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
And I get the reactions from fans, we are fanatics after all, and people deal with these situations differently. It's going to suck, but once the season starts again, people will move on pretty quickly. Or once Pietrangelo starts his decline a few years into the deal.
Of course if it becomes another situation like Oshie in Washington in 2018 and Pietrangelo wins a Cup in Vegas, ... well, I'm sure there will be some who will find ways to dismiss it like they did then.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Of course if it becomes another situation like Oshie in Washington in 2018 and Pietrangelo wins a Cup in Vegas, ... well, I'm sure there will be some who will find ways to dismiss it like they did then.
Oshie is probably different since he was traded away.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Oshie is probably different since he was traded away.
Pietrangelo could be too. The point is, the same people who shit all over Oshie when he left and gloated when we went to the WCF in 2016 while the Capitals lost in the 2nd round to the Penguins (again) were the same ones tripping over themselves in 2018 when the Capitals won the Cup and they went grasping for every way they could think of to dismiss his contribution to it. Rarely, if ever, could you find one of them admit, "I was wrong."

I suspect it will be much of the same here if Pietrangelo has success (again) outside of St. Louis.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Pietrangelo could be too. The point is, the same people who shit all over Oshie when he left and gloated when we went to the WCF in 2016 while the Capitals lost in the 2nd round to the Penguins (again) were the same ones tripping over themselves in 2018 when the Capitals won the Cup and they went grasping for every way they could think of to dismiss his contribution to it. Rarely, if ever, could you find one of them admit, "I was wrong."

I suspect it will be much of the same here if Pietrangelo has success (again) outside of St. Louis.
How many shit on Oshie, we were pretty much all shitting on Army from what I remember. Maybe a few haters were there, but I remember the vast majority calling it a horrible trade.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I understand some of the anger at Petro right now and i get it I know It hurts. But realize he got a much higher AAV, he’s making more money after taxes in one less year, he got guaranteed protection, and loads of SB money. If he REALLY wanted to stay in St. Louis he could’ve. And yeah it sucks. But with 4 young kids he wanted a full-NMC. Which is understandable. He wanted a lot of signing bonus money. He wanted an AAV above $8 million. He deserved it, he could get it, and he wasn’t gonna get it here. He did his job. He won us a Cup. Be angry now that’s fine. But in a week just be grateful for what he gave the city and community for 12 years. He was the rock on the backend from Payne, to Hitchcock, to Yeo, to Berube. He deserves nothing but praise and gratitude from us fans.

Now to Army. I’ll go to my grave saying he should’ve given a NMC if that’s what it took to get the deal done. Would we regret that later on? Yes probably, it would’ve put the Blues in a better much better position to win now, and as Army said himself, “the window is for 4-5 more years”. If Petro’s agency was demanding close to $9 mil AAV along with all those protections, then I don’t blame Army. We just don't know what transpired. But losing a player of Petro’s stature and caliber will always partially fall on the GM. It’s his job to get past tough negotiations/agencies. He failed and came up short.

Now that this is over we need to move on from Petro and give Faulk a chance. We need to let Krug prove himself. I don’t love the contracts (especially Faulk’s), but I hope we’re celebrating him handing the Cup off to Krug 2 years from now. Let's go Blues!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad