The Air Horn Chant?

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Excuse my ignorance since I'm a *band wagon fan from the Crosby draft, since when did we acquire the Caps three count air horn chant?

*wife is from Pit and we visit Melon/Consol every year.

Last edited:

Pedaller

Grinder
Feb 18, 2012
Richmond VA
Thanks for asking. I've been wondering the same thing.

The Caps need it because their fans are quite often "out of the game". Pens fans tend to be "in it" without the need of artificial stimulants.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I love it. Gets the fans into the games.

And it's not like the Caps are the only other team that uses one.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
It's Iceburgh.

It's also loud as hell up close. He was blowing it in my section the other night and my ears were ringing. I thought the little kid behind me was going to cry. :laugh:

I don't like it. Not because it's a Caps thing (though they will tell you otherwise) but I just find it kind of annoying.

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.
Pens fans tend to be "in it" without the need of artificial stimulants.

That's one of the most wildly inaccurate statements I've ever seen on HFBoards... And that's saying a lot.

We have one of the quietest/most docile arenas and fan bases in the league. I hate the airhorn, but anything that helps perk up the crowd helps, I guess.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
It's annoying and I hate it.

With the great team that we have we shouldn't need ****ing airhorns to get the crowd into things. Although, that's what we get for having a new arena full of old people, bandwagoners, rich fatcats and suits. But hey, whatever stops the funeral parlour vibe I guess....

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

With the great team that we have we shouldn't need ****ing airhorns to get the crowd into things. Although, that's what we get for having a new arena full of old people, bandwagoners, rich fatcats and suits. But hey, whatever stops the funeral parlour vibe I guess....

truer words, back in '06-'07 the Civic Arena was jumping with all the college kids. When they started to turn really good, the suits all piled back in & well, this is the result.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
:laugh:
I'm 99% certain that the people who do the most complaining about the noise level in the arena are never actually there to hear it. Most nights it's absolutely fine. Sometimes it's a little quiet. Sometimes it's quite loud. Just like I'd imagine most arenas in the league are.

Let's just go back to all student rush seats. We won't be able to ice a competitive team but it'll sure be loud. Just imagine how many people will be there to yell WOOO all game long!

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
I'm 99% certain that the people who do the most complaining about the noise level in the arena are never actually there to hear it. Most nights it's absolutely fine. Sometimes it's a little quiet. Sometimes it's quite loud. Just like I'd imagine most arenas in the league are.

Agreed on that statement.

Not a fan of the horn though, first time I heard it all I could think of was the Caps horn.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I like it. Gets the fans into the game.

Plus, it's a million times better than all the annoying ****s that woo during the game.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

Someone has to pay for all the talent. Student rush isn't going to cut it.

Tafkak

Feb 2, 2005
Novi, MI.

Let's just go back to all student rush seats. We won't be able to ice a competitive team but it'll sure be loud. Just imagine how many people will be there to yell WOOO all game long!

Normally, I would say your right. But in this case a player complained about the noise level in the arena. Pretty condemning towards the noise level in the arena if you ask me.

I've been to my fair share of games at the Civi/Mellon Arena and a few at the CEC. It's been we'll touched on, but there is a big difference between the two.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Normally, I would say your right. But in this case a player complained about the noise level in the arena. Pretty condemning towards the noise level in the arena if you ask me.

I've been to my fair share of games at the Civi/Mellon Arena and a few at the CEC. It's been we'll touched on, but there is a big difference between the two.

You mean Tanner Glass, the guy who just came from Winnipeg and who had only played a few home games early in a season after a lockout? Look, there are nights when it's sort of quiet. As I said, most nights it's fine and some nights are loud. The playoffs are very loud.

I've been there nearly every home game for the last ten seasons and the noise level difference on average between CEC and Mellon gets blown waaaaay out of proportion. Way out. And even if it wasn't, they're not going to kick out the families and businesses to bring back an arena full of college students to yell WOOOOO, so what's the point of people complaining about it incessantly?

Edit: Disregard that last question. This is a place where we can have an 11 page thread complaining about a team on an 13 game win streak. :laugh:

BCard86

Mar 2, 2013
Knightdale, NC
They use it at the Hurricanes game, but instead it's a big bellied man who blows into a plastic horn.

Side note.. what are you guys opinions on the "wave" at a hockey game? Last Canes game I went to, section next to me and started it. I never seen it at a hockey game but after it went around PNC Arena 4x, I was impressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad