The ahl always messing with the E come playoffs.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
It's stunning that non ahl playoff teams never fail to mess up the echl's playoff race.

Do you have an example? Because the Avs AHL team certainly didn't mess up the Eagles playoff race the last 2 years. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for the Avs AHL team, the Eagles would have never won those 2 championships.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Some ahl teams that are out of the playoffs race send ahl caliber players to their echl team for the echl playoffs

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
Some ahl teams that are out of the playoffs race send ahl caliber players to their echl team for the echl playoffs

And sometimes, the don't. Tulsa Oilers were fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the 2015/16 season, and had several players that had split time between Tulsa and the Manitoba Moose. Moose were already eliminated from an AHL playoff spot, but none of these players were sent to Tulsa. I believe, had they been, the Oilers would have qualified for the playoffs, and these players would have gotten some additional playing time development.

That being said, none of the players that I'm thinking of are with the Jets/Moose organization any longer.

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
There is ahl teams draining the e that have zero chance to make the playoffs. Thats the context.
Me being a thunder fan. Calls ups have ruined my team the last couple of weeks.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
When you're a minor league, you're always at the mercy of the tier ahead of you. That can go both ways - teams can get reinforcements from above, teams can lose players to the higher league. The primary goal of the NHL team is player development, so an AHL team calling up a player simply to practice and get some coaching and fourth-line action can change the roster makeup. If an NHL team traded roster guys at the deadline and needs younger players to fill out the lineup, that creates a domino effect that requires AHL teams to call up guys to fill out their roster - even if they are practice players and don't see much/any game action (and I know some fans - one fan base in particular - complain loudly every time a player is called up and scratched by the AHL team, but it is reality).

If those teams aren't playing in the postseason (either at the NHL or AHL levels), you'll likely see some roster reinforcements coming the other direction, which is why you tend to see so many upsets in the postseason.

It's not just unique to hockey. Several years ago, our local Triple-A baseball team had 2/3 of its starting lineup called up to the majors right as the playoffs began. It had a decent postseason run with new guys who had been called up from A and AA teams.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It's just part of life in minor league sports. Teams at higher levels will pull from lower tiers to fill out their rosters, and players they don't need will be sent to the lower tier. Hence why NHL teams out of playoffs send guys to the AHL for playoff experience, and similarly AHL teams out of their races send guys to the ECHL playoff bound teams.

It's not ruining the playoffs by any means, just the natural flow of player movement.

Last edited:

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
What I find funny is that the main objective of the ECHL is development and to look at as anything different its gonna upset you. The main job of a ECHL franchise is to get players to next level and further is it awesome to win a couple cups on the way there yea . but you have to remember as long as they are getting players promoted the teams is a job well done .

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
The Thunder need a goalie asap.
That turnstile is gonna wreck a good season.simply because a call up happened .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad