The aging hockey player

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
What goes first as you get to mid 30s plus as a higher level hockey player? Your wheels/speed? Edge work coordination/agility? Hands? Processing abilities on ice? etc. All at once? :) What age do you feel this happening?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I Ray Ferraro say that the first thing too go for him was his hands.

For me, as a low level beer leaguer, I think it depends on the individual. As we age, we begin to lose our fast twitch muscle fibres. That affects our quickness and explosiveness.

How much each aspect of our game depends on those things is different for each of us, so how much it affects our game is different for each individual.

For me, I started to really notice a loss in skating explosiveness when I passed 35. At 40, I ran into some health issues that kicked the crap out of my body. This was a bit of a wake up call, and during and after my recovery, I decided instead of hitting the gym that I would hit the rink once a week to train on top of playing twice a week.

I can tell you this, skillwise I'm two or three time the player I used to be. I can skate better. I can stick handle better. But the explosiveness isn't there. Not anyway near what it used to be even when I was 35.

My first two steps isn't there anymore. It's harder form me to create separation when I'm spinning out of the corner. And I can't pull away for a break away like I used to.

In terms of my hands, my hands can't keep up with my brain anymore. I read where I need to move the puck, but when space is tight and the movement has to be precise and quick, forget it. The puck gets fumbled. It's like I'll pull the puck one way and my hands can't get the stick over to catch it clean.

No matter how much I try to work on these things, I don't make any progress beyond a certain point.

Anyway my 2cents.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I agree with puckpilot. My hands, hockey sense, shot etc are all still fine. Even my skating and agility is still pretty good. (Although I still ref 3-4 times a week). The one thing that is hard to do is to beat a younger guy in a foot race. :wally:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm just learning the game, doing a "learn to play hockey" program that's been a blast. But in our group we have people from their 20s up to late 50s. But at this (very low) level there's really no distinction between ages - young players aren't necessarily any better than old players. What comes into it is just how much prior experience you have (a couple of women who grew up playing ringette can blow everyone away) and just general level of fitness.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Theoretically if you are a beginner in your 30s-50s there isn't that much to lose because you should improve with practice. I was probably my peak hockey player at 21 and stopped playing for 10-15 years. I am glad I am in pretty decent condition for playing at 50. :)

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
my buddy who's in his late 30s and played a high level says it's consistency for him. some days he'll feel pretty darn good and others he'll find his legs feel heavy and crummy and his hands are just not that smooth and the on ice processing is slowed.

I can understand the legs going and feeling less explosive but, yes i've also heard for some people it's the hands that go first, in terms of quickness, smoothness, control and dexterity. And it happens to them in their mid 30s. I wonder why that is? I wouldn't think at 35-ish you would lose much of any kind of manual dexterity and dangles. i assume that might happen more towards 50-60. Might have something to do with grip strength which decreases around 40.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I agree with puckpilot. My hands, hockey sense, shot etc are all still fine. Even my skating and agility is still pretty good. (Although I still ref 3-4 times a week). The one thing that is hard to do is to beat a younger guy in a foot race. :wally:

Your hands and shot may be fine for your age but it must have been better when you were in your 20s or even 30s i assume. just the smoothness of the dangle and quickness of the hands and processing of everything happening around you on the ice must have been sharper.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Its hard to say at 35. If i were to play regularly like 3-4 times a week then i would hope nothing.

If i had to take a guess, it would be speed first. Then just overall compete level cause ya dont give a f anymore and it means nothing but a tshirt at the end of the year.

I would like to think other skills keep improving. Again thats based on ice time

Last edited:

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
I'm 37.....for me, more so than the speed or burst (which has always been my personal strength) is the high-end endurance factor.

I can still skate okay, but whereas I used to be able to skate at a high pace for most of a minute-plus shift, I get tired much faster now. A sprint or two up/down the length of the ice leaves me gassed instead of being able to continue to play effectively in the zone.

I also don't recover as quickly on the bench. Used to be that, no matter how long I spent on the ice, a minute or two on the bench and I'd be good as new. A long hard shift now leaves me out of breath for a shift or two beyond.

Still fast in short bursts, can still do long shifts if I pace myself well, but gone are the days where I can sprint around the ice for a minute and then just will myself to keep going at a high tempo.

Also, lots more injuries and longer recovery times. Bumps hurt more, tweaks and strains take longer to heal, and it's harder to just ignore them and play through them

aborkie

Jul 27, 2018
I play with guys half my age. I notice that endurance is the big difference. Late in a shift the young guys are still going strong.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
I play with guys half my age. I notice that endurance is the big difference. Late in a shift the young guys are still going strong.

Yup. I’ve tried distance running and sprints and I’m still gassed after every shift. What gives? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm 37(soon to be 38). I've noticed my hands and my ability to get to my top speed are the things I'm losing. I'm still in really good shape so I can skate for just as long as I used to no problem but I'm starting to struggle when I have the puck in 1 on 1 situations. That is currently my biggest frustration.

Hockey sense has been better than ever though. Still capable of making smart plays.

aborkie

Jul 27, 2018
Yup. I’ve tried distance running and sprints and I’m still gassed after every shift. What gives? Any recommendations would be

My personal rule is no exercise two days before the game. This allows your body to fully recover and be at it's best. Also, no food 4-5 hours prior to game.

aborkie

Jul 27, 2018
Rest is important for older players. I don't do anything 2-3 days prior to a game. After the game I take at least one day off.

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
I'm 38 and agree with others it's that top end endurance part. But, I do things now I didn't do when I was younger that help offset --- interval training at the gym; pick spots for going all out, play smarter positional otherwise; eat better. I think all in all I'm able to compete at same level by doing these things.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Agree with puck pilot and others about losing speed, step.

I can remember claerly when I was 35 going on 36 wondering why people were catching me on breakaways.

Now with kids I cant get to the gym, so wrist strength/shot is not there.

The other thing I struggle with is groin pulls. Leg strength overpowers whatever attaches, if I go all out for a short burst I pull my groin.

To avoid groin pulls, I use UA Core compression shorts. And I dont sit down on the bench between shifts.

OTOH, my edgework and other skills are much better, thanks to 5 years being on the ice almost daily, coaching the kids or helping with skills sessions. It helps being able to watch the occasional session of Karen or Barb working with an NHL'er, or an NHL coach teaching ohsix faceoffs.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I'm 37.....for me, more so than the speed or burst (which has always been my personal strength) is the high-end endurance factor.

I can still skate okay, but whereas I used to be able to skate at a high pace for most of a minute-plus shift, I get tired much faster now. A sprint or two up/down the length of the ice leaves me gassed instead of being able to continue to play effectively in the zone.

I also don't recover as quickly on the bench. Used to be that, no matter how long I spent on the ice, a minute or two on the bench and I'd be good as new. A long hard shift now leaves me out of breath for a shift or two beyond.

Still fast in short bursts, can still do long shifts if I pace myself well, but gone are the days where I can sprint around the ice for a minute and then just will myself to keep going at a high tempo.

Also, lots more injuries and longer recovery times. Bumps hurt more, tweaks and strains take longer to heal, and it's harder to just ignore them and play through them
You make a very good point. Gone are the days of playing every shift at 100%. Ill change my answer to this.

I remember playing tournaments with 8 skaters and being the guy who didnt need to come off the ice. Those days are lonnng gone

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I know I'm not as old as a lot of you guys posting (currently 28) but my endurance has been horrible lately. I've never been one to have high endurance and as I've gotten a bit older I've really started to notice. Don't know how some guys are able to iron man it out there. Sometimes I get so gassed there's no way I can't come off for a break.

I do feel fine athletically and I've probably lost a step or so from when I was in my early 20s but nothing I have been able to notice. So yeah, endurance for me.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Rest is important for older players. I don't do anything 2-3 days prior to a game. After the game I take at least one day off.

yes this could be a bigger thing for older guys (not sure at what age hockey players --non pros-- fall into this category though). I think it obviously affects leg power and gas tank but maybe the under-recovering can affect mental processing of game speed and hands (as the hands are skillfully controlled by the brain). I think the mental side (health, restedness and vibrancy) is just as, if not more important than the purely physical side at times. The brain needs to be well rested and recovered as well.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I know I'm not as old as a lot of you guys posting (currently 28) but my endurance has been horrible lately. I've never been one to have high endurance and as I've gotten a bit older I've really started to notice. Don't know how some guys are able to iron man it out there. Sometimes I get so gassed there's no way I can't come off for a break.

I do feel fine athletically and I've probably lost a step or so from when I was in my early 20s but nothing I have been able to notice. So yeah, endurance for me.

Perhaps some of it could come from the type of job one has (ie sitting working on a computer all day really can wreck physical vibrancy). i think as one gets a bit older too, if you want to maintain athletic/conditioning abilities you have to train better in the gym. The muscles might get sluggish and need some power, sprint and closer to max strength type exercises to keep the muscles fresh and ready to go. i think it's harder as one gets older, to just hop on the ice and hope to feel similar to when one was in the early 20s, without doing some more hockey specific workouts in the gym.

Reactions: JaeTM

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
On a side note, one thing I found that helped me with performance quite a bit was stretching outside of exercise. About a year or so ago, I really started to notice the loss in flexibility around my back and hips. I started to make those old man grunts when reaching down for stuff.

That's when I started a stretching routine that worked my hips, lower back, and shoulders, common tight areas for hockey players. It was slow going at first, but then, I started to notice that all those aches and pains I used to get after hockey would subside or even go away with a little light stretching while watching TV. It used to be that if I played two games too close together, I'd be sore for days, but now I can play three games within a 12 hr period and be fine the next day.

I used to get these nasty knots between my shoulder blades that would not go away for days, but now, a little stretch here or there, and it's pop-pop, and it's gone. Regaining flexibility has helped everything, from lengthening my stride, improving my cross-overs, shot, and general endurance. It definitely turned back the clock a few years for me.

Highly recommended for geezers and those approaching geezer territory.

Reactions: LeifUK and HK97

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Perhaps some of it could come from the type of job one has (ie sitting working on a computer all day really can wreck physical vibrancy). i think as one gets a bit older too, if you want to maintain athletic/conditioning abilities you have to train better in the gym. The muscles might get sluggish and need some power, sprint and closer to max strength type exercises to keep the muscles fresh and ready to go. i think it's harder as one gets older, to just hop on the ice and hope to feel similar to when one was in the early 20s, without doing some more hockey specific workouts in the gym.

Definitely makes sense as I've been working full time at a desk for about 6 years now. I've tried to stay active by going to the gym but then my muscles feel exhausted haha. Probably need more sleep to be honest.

Reactions: HK97

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm going to echo others and say speed/explosiveness. That was definitely the first thing I noticed. I used to be able to skate around other players, sprint for a breakaway, or whatnot. Now, they can keep up with me. I can't get that separation that I used to be able to do. My top speed is about the same, but getting there takes longer than it used to. It sucks getting beat by people you know that you used to be faster than.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
In your early 20s you can just do whatever and get fairly good results. As you get older you have to do everything right to maintain the same level of athletic performance. Look at NHL players for example, there are still a few 35+ that can really play, and though they may be diminished from their prime form, any average person would be happy to perform at that level physically. It just takes an immense amount of time and dedication.

Stretching to maintain flexibility, weight lifting to maintain strength, plyo/sprints/medicine ball work for explosiveness, interval training for cardio/endurance, and lots of ice time to keep the skills sharp :).

Proper sleep and nutrition are the other things that will set back the clock.

Reactions: jorbjorb and HK97

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
It sucks getting beat by people you know that you used to be faster than.

Sometimes I glance over at the young scrapper about to catch up, and I just wish I could jamb an stick into their spokes so to speak and give them the finger as they spin out. Hahahah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad