The Advanced Stats Thread

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I had some time on my hands so I was thinking about tracking some stats like opposition chance per giveaway for defencemen or something like that for this season. I don't think any sites have a similar stat or I can't find any.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should track on how I sohuld go on about tracking it? I have some general idea but I was wondering if any of you have some tips.

http://gfycat.com/ForkedDismalDormouse

These kinds of plays are the ones I was thinking about tracking.

My favourite play of the season. :laugh: 12 seconds and that's what he comes up with...

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
My favourite play of the season. :laugh: 12 seconds and that's what he comes up with...
$3.6 million man.

And I went through about 5 random games so far and I've seen numerous times where Sbisa just completely turns the puck over with ample amount of time. I was thinking about making an album of these Sbisa gifs but I felt too bad.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I had some time on my hands so I was thinking about tracking some stats like opposition chance per giveaway for defencemen or something like that for this season. I don't think any sites have a similar stat or I can't find any.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should track on how I sohuld go on about tracking it? I have some general idea but I was wondering if any of you have some tips.

Don't even need advanced stats to analyse that one.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014

That just gave me a headache.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012

sbisa demonstrated great patience with the puck here, people (and advanced stats) always overlook the little things that he does that make him a solid defender

The Jesus*

You shouldn't hate the Dorsett one more. You can bury that contract, or move it or tolerate it much more than the Sbisa one.

Sbisa is terrible, but if he was on the bottom pairing playing limited minutes it wouldn't be so bad. Having depth defense isn't a horrible thing. Problem is coach likes to keep him in the top four and play his defensive pairing to relatively even ice times.

Term and cap hit suck, but I don't hate having extra depth defenders who can function on the bottom pairing. Dorsett is a 4th line plug who is the 5th highest paid forward on the team. There is just no reason for him to have a roster spot, let alone get a bigger contract than Hansen, Higgins, and our second line center. Just so absurd I can't even begin to think what was going through Benning's mind when offering that deal.

Was that as cheap as he was willing to sign? I just dont get it. Just thinking about it makes me hate that bumbling dolt more and more.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Sbisa is terrible, but if he was on the bottom pairing playing limited minutes it wouldn't be so bad. Having depth defense isn't a horrible thing. Problem is coach likes to keep him in the top four and play his defensive pairing to relatively even ice times.

Term and cap hit suck, but I don't hate having extra depth defenders who can function on the bottom pairing. Dorsett is a 4th line plug who is the 5th highest paid forward on the team. There is just no reason for him to have a roster spot, let alone get a bigger contract than Hansen, Higgins, and our second line center. Just so absurd I can't even begin to think what was going through Benning's mind when offering that deal.

Was that as cheap as he was willing to sign? I just dont get it. Just thinking about it makes me hate that bumbling dolt more and more.

why does it bother people so much that dorsett earns more than higgins/hansen?

if higgy was signed today he'd most likely earn more than dorsett, hansen probly would too, and then all the salaries will fall back into an acceptable hierarchy for you.

it's like you're saying...i demand higgins and hansen earn more, renegotiate their contracts now!!

in actuality, by only bumping dorsett's salary slightly higher than higgy/hansen, he's ensuring when/if those two resign their raises will be miniscule. benning has effectively created cap structure.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Higgins is awful so anyone arguing he should be making more money when he's saddled the team with a NTC is just wrong.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
in actuality, by only bumping dorsett's salary slightly higher than higgy/hansen, he's ensuring when/if those two resign their raises will be miniscule. benning has effectively created cap structure.

How so? The gap between their contributions is quite big. If we go by the Dorsett pay scale, they're due for a raise up to $4-4.5m.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not a thing anymore.

It is to a degree. Because IMO they can bury that contract and use the 900k in cap savings on a better player to replace him. So the same cap space is taken up but the team could be better.

and when I say bury I also mean just eating the contract and having a guy in the pressbox etc. It isn't the ideal solution of course but every team has to deal with a bad contract. The problem is Benning has created 3 to deal with in under 12 months.... Dorsett's is the least to worry about (IMO).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Sure having depth on the blueline is a good thing. Except when the depth you are talking about cost $3.6 mil in cap and is a 6/7 guy! Having that much money in that type of guy reduces team depth and quality, not increases it. Depth players get depth money. Not top 4 money.

There is no real reason for Sbisa to have a roster spot either. Dorsett at that money will be easier to move than Sbisa at the money he's getting. Why? because he clearly does something for a team even if the stats look terrible. His teammates voted him the unsung hero. They see value in him. And guys like that hang around the league even if they are overpaid. Might now make sense to any of us how his peers can think that way but clearly they do.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
So; am I correct in assuming that the higher your QoC, the higher caliber of players you are typically on the ice against? Meaning that Tanev, for example, being placed higher on the chart relative to his QoC means he faces the tougher assignments, and still comes out ahead in terms of advanced stats? (not surprised by that, just looking to make sure I understand that)

Yep. The higher your QoC, the tougher the opponents are for that player. Likewise with QoT, the higher number the better your linemates are. To use your example, Tanev plays against more difficult opponents while posting a positive Corsi, while Sbisa plays against easier opponents while posting negative Corsi numbers.

These sorts of things like QoC are useful for seeing who did the heavy lifting for a team; that Tanev and Edler are in the top 3 in QoC among defenders who played over 40 games is not a surprise considering how WD has used them this year.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
What advanced stats are you looking at that show Bieksa was much better than Sbisa?

Are his numbers appreciably better, considering he gets fewer defensive zone draws? I don't see the case to be made for Bieksa here, based on advanced stats. What numbers are you looking at that shows separation between these guys?

Bieksa was better than Sbisa because he played against better quality of opponents (higher QoC) and with worse quality of teammates (lower QoT) while churning out a better on-ice Corsi differential (Corsi On). If you use Corsi Rel QoC/QoC it leads to the same conclusion.

The 1.8% difference in O-zone starts probably doesn't mean too much considering that's a swing of just 13 over a full season, after averaging the total end-zone starts Bieksa (722) and Sbisa (725) were on pace for over 82 games.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Bieksa was better than Sbisa because he played against better quality of opponents (higher QoC) and with worse quality of teammates (lower QoT) while churning out a better on-ice Corsi differential (Corsi On). If you use Corsi Rel QoC/QoC it leads to the same conclusion.

The 1.8% difference in O-zone starts probably doesn't mean too much considering that's a swing of just 13 over a full season, after averaging the total end-zone starts Bieksa (722) and Sbisa (725) were on pace for over 82 games.
come on vanuck.. you're being too kind.. the proper statistical term is 'insignificant".

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Further evidence in support of advanced stats: 538 blog has declared Cloutier's 2003 appearance to be the worst goalie performance in playoff history, and overall Cloutier to be the second worst playoff goalie (behind Hrudey) ever. Or at least since 1988

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...he-best-nhl-playoff-goaltending-performances/

I saw this today, unbelievable. I swear I felt it coming as I scrolled through the article.

I never want to hear anyone criticize Luongo or call out Luongo for costing us the series in 2011 if you haven't seen Cloutier's performance against minnesota, especially game 7. That is what a goalie costing you a series looks like.

I can't find it now, but I saw a spreadsheet that I think was linked somewhere on tyler dellow's site, that had estimated team corsi% for teams from that era. I think the Crawford Canucks from like 2001-2003ish were a 55% team.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
cam charron did a good article on those teams and how badly they got screwed by cloutier

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i read that earlier today and i think he's just hanging out with the wrong people if they scream at him GREGORY CAMPBELL PLAYED BADLY

he misses the point so badly and its infuriating because he's a smart person. he's creating a false dichotomy of people that either like stats BUT HATE ALL HOCKEY and [everyone else]. its insane. people get into stats because they like hockey, they like watching the games and they want to understand it better. painting a massive group of people with a brush of boring stats nerds is a ****** misrepresentation

on top of all of this, he doesnt make any new points. this is the confession of a lot of fans. "i like advanced stats but i like hockey too" wow, good work guy

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
i read that earlier today and i think he's just hanging out with the wrong people if they scream at him GREGORY CAMPBELL PLAYED BADLY

he misses the point so badly and its infuriating because he's a smart person. he's creating a false dichotomy of people that either like stats BUT HATE ALL HOCKEY and [everyone else]. its insane. people get into stats because they like hockey, they like watching the games and they want to understand it better. painting a massive group of people with a brush of boring stats nerds is a ****** misrepresentation

on top of all of this, he doesnt make any new points. this is the confession of a lot of fans. "i like advanced stats but i like hockey too" wow, good work guy

I'd cut him some slack.

He made his name being a comedian of sorts, making random commentary on hockey with pop culture references.

You can tell deep down, he gets advanced stats but that's never been his realm, he can't just all of a sudden turn into James Mirtle or CanucksArmy.

His schtick is being the regular joe who knows nothing. Even though he gets media clearance, he's always played up that bit about being some guy caught between the old newspaper guys and the new advanced stats bloggers.

Can't expect him to not pander to his reader base.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

It's a dichotomy I've seen on this board before too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad