The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VIII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

Had to break radio silence since no one picked up on this; set the year to "2016-2017", look at the top-5 and smile.

Manny's model had Lias as the #1 OA in the 2017 draft (#4 prospect outside the NHL) and DeAngelo as the #2 prospect behind Sergachyov.

I've been especially annoyed with the unpersoning of DeAngelo from the Ranger stats guys since his acquisition. I guess if there isn't anything to criticize outside of his PDO they rather just ignore him altogether.

His metrics were very good last year despite playing mostly with Smith and O'Gara AV refusing to play him on the PP even after Shattenkirk went down. I still stand firm in my belief that he has 1D potential. His O'Gara CF% Rel. WOWY is especially egregious; with ROG (76 min): -0.35, ADA without ROG (76 min): +5.88, ROG without ADA (67 min): -12.97. SSS and all that, but still.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Had to break radio silence since no one picked up on this; set the year to "2016-2017", look at the top-5 and smile.

Manny's model had Lias as the #1 OA in the 2017 draft (#4 prospect outside the NHL) and DeAngelo as the #2 prospect behind Sergachyov.

I've been especially annoyed with the unpersoning of DeAngelo from the Ranger stats guys since his acquisition. I guess if there isn't anything to criticize outside of his PDO they rather just ignore him altogether.

His metrics were very good last year despite playing mostly with Smith and O'Gara AV refusing to play him on the PP even after Shattenkirk went down. I still stand firm in my belief that he has 1D potential. His O'Gara CF% Rel. WOWY is especially egregious; with ROG (76 min): -0.35, ADA without ROG (76 min): +5.88, ROG without ADA (67 min): -12.97. SSS and all that, but still.
Please post more.

I don't necessarily think it's the stats guys that are unpersoning ADA, though. I mean, I can admit I have some bias against him because he was involved in the Stepan trade and I'm still salty af about that. I don't think he has 1D potential, but I do believe he certainly is an NHL d-man, if he puts it all together. I think he'll be one of those dynamite sheltered 3rd pairing guys. We'll see if he gets the PP time he needs to put up points, though.

Those splits from O'Gara are interesting, though. From what I remember, towards the end of the season, O'Gara really started putting it together (well, at least not totally sucking), and ADA was injured then, playing mostly with Skjei and Gilmour.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Anyone know where I could find a player's season total plus and season total minus statistics? I'm not interested in the regular +/- number.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I was told there was no way Vesey's AAV would be more than $2m. Huh.

Jimbo Vesey, last two years:

-2.69 relCF%
-3.65 relxGF%
-7.93 relGF%
1.28 p60

Kid is a bad third-liner, through and through. Would not have re-signed. Would have traded to a dumb team.

lmfao, you guys, how many times did I say this year that Miller and Vesey would combine for a $7.5m AAV? Off by 25K and got shit on constantly for saying that. God damn. Vindication.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I was told there was no way Vesey's AAV would be more than $2m. Huh.

Jimbo Vesey, last two years:

-2.69 relCF%
-3.65 relxGF%
-7.93 relGF%
1.28 p60

Kid is a bad third-liner, through and through. Would not have re-signed. Would have traded to a dumb team.

Meh, I don't like what Vesey has brought, but this signing is fine.

We can't entirely gut the roster, and if anything, when he is on pace for 15-20 goals again at the TDL, some team will pay better for him then than they would of for his rights in the offseason.

If he is still here in a couple years, he will most likely just be fodder for our young guys to surpass.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He was always going to be re-signed, there was no chance he was going to be traded

He is what he is, a bottom 6 player.

In two years he'll probably go elsewhere, and that's fine

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hypothesis: Jimmy Vesey's only utility is 10 feet or less from the opposition net.

Analysis:

Okay. Last season, Jimmy Vesey had 32 unblocked shot attempts from within 10 feet or less. 8 of them ended up being goals. I'm actually shocked that only 8 of Vesey's goals were from within 10ft. That's a 25% FSh%

181 players had at least 20 unblocked attempts from 10 feet or less. Vesey's 25% FSh% is 35th among this sample. This is all situations, btw.

Top-5 FSh% in the league:

Marleau: 10/21
Malkin: 13/30
Wild Bill: 12/28
Keller: 8/21
Grabner: 9/24

Top-5 by total Fenwicks:

E. Kane: 13/81
McDavid: 12/71
Gallagher: 14/66
Tkachuk: 9/65
Lee: 19/60

Holy moly Anders. How many of these attempts are going bye bye when JT leaves?

Conclusion: Jimmy Vesey is better than average at finishing Fenwicks from 10ft from the net. I'm now curious that only 8 of Vesey's goals were from this distance, so here is a density plot for distance for Vesey's 17 goals last year:

eqCTTDH.png

So Vesey has 8 goals 10 feet or less. His other 9 are:

128, 13, 12, 12, 21, 11, 21, 150, 17.

Ah f*** me, this should've been a blog post. Oh well.

lmfao. JT Miller had 22 unblocked attempts with the Rangers last year from 10ft or less and scored on one of them. What an ass.

I blogged it and made two more visualizations:

yKxs4fV.png

5ZxXlST.png

For context, Buchnevich also took 32 attempts from 10ft or less and scored on 6 of them.

Really love how the Vesey thread is arguing about exactly this. If only we had a way to quantify things instead of just spewing constant shit.

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Hypothesis: Jimmy Vesey's only utility is 10 feet or less from the opposition net.

Analysis: (incoming, need some time).
Was about to post in his resigning thread “Good in the slot, poor everywhere else”

He’s about as one-dimensional as you can get, he doesn’t create any offense besides finishing off slot chances and he’s poor in transition and on defense. I actually also think he’d be decent to good in the high slot on the powerplay but literately no where else on the powerplay.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He can score goals.

But he needs to score more if he’s gonna have positive value. ~15 goals isn’t enough to justify the other parts of his game (or lack there of). He needs to get closer to ~25, and his ice time needs to be carefully managed.

Hopefully his production rises and we use him as a sweetener is a big deadline deal.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
He can score goals.

But he needs to score more if he’s gonna have positive value. ~15 goals isn’t enough to justify the other parts of his game (or lack there of). He needs to get closer to ~25, and his ice time needs to be carefully managed.

Hopefully his production rises and we use him as a sweetener is a big deadline deal.

And he's had some good ass line mates and some spoon fed ice time in his career too and he's still averages as a < 30 point player.

Inefficient scoring, bad defense, bad possession guy. I feel like he'd be less bad if we played him like the 4th liner that he probably is.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If it were me, I would have Slimbo Jimbo play on the 4th line and bump him up to the 3rd when injury hits

That said, it seems as though they want him to prove he is a top 6 player, so I would expect him to be given top 6 or at least middle 6 minutes pretty regularly.

Fortunately for him, there aren't a ton of winger prospects that can force him out of the lineup this year (at least at first glance). Maybe Meskanen or Lindqvist can make some noise but I don't see them as top 6 guys

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
At what point does “he’s overpaid but it’s just 2 years so it’s not a problem” become a problem?

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
At what point does “he’s overpaid but it’s just 2 years so it’s not a problem” become a problem?

When we have to trade some of those players for sub-optimal returns (or even forcing us to add to have someone take a team) because Karlsson reaches FA.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

When it becomes a problem.

Right now, it isn’t and I don’t foresee anyway that it will be one by the time his contract runs out.

Look at our cap sheet, it’s pretty good.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

When it becomes a problem.

Right now, it isn’t and I don’t foresee anyway that it will be one by the time his contract runs out.

Look at our cap sheet, it’s pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad