The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yes, as usual, the extremes are brought into the picture while completely ignoring the middle.

You're not in the wrong thread, you're just not understanding the argument.

The argument is not: "Never hire former players".

The argument is: "Let's hire people with actual, tangible, experience".

Leetch wants to work in an NHL FO? Get hired in the AHL. Get hired in the OHL. Prove you can do it.

The argument is: "Former players shouldn't be hired to NHL FOs just because they are former players".

Hasn't Leetch just been working on the ice with prospects?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm well beyond Brad and Brian, and these hires specifically, and into the entirety of "former players being handed NHL positions" in general. I don't like it. Some people do. That's great.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Going back on topic (my bad, everyone, for derailing in the first place).

Probably about that time to re-visit last year's post-game scraper and see what can be improved.

Recall, these were the chart dumps post-game from last year.

Thoughts?

- I need to fix the faceoff count chart to sort correctly again, that I know.

http://imgur.com/a/cABNJ

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Going back on topic (my bad, everyone, for derailing in the first place).

Probably about that time to re-visit last year's post-game scraper and see what can be improved.

Recall, these were the chart dumps post-game from last year.

Thoughts?

- I need to fix the faceoff count chart to sort correctly again, that I know.

http://imgur.com/a/cABNJ

The charts were always great! It was the idiots who said hur dur watch the games that made it annoying. Is there a way to scrape xG once corsica is back?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The charts were always great! It was the idiots who said hur dur watch the games that made it annoying. Is there a way to scrape xG once corsica is back?

Thanks! Yeah, posting them in the actual PGT's, it got tiresome waking up to 10 quote notifications going: 'LOL YOU THOUGHT X WAS BAD AND Y WAS GOOD!?!?!'

Maybe I'll dump 'em in here this season.

re xG: Don't think so, and wouldn't want to pass Manny's work as my own. When Corsica launches again, the xG will be available there, and maybe if we're lucky, Manny will launch 'ElkBot' again :)

I have long-term ambitions of creating my own xG linear regression model, but, it won't be as strong as Manny's or DTM's, so often I wonder... what's the point?

I always enjoy when you post the postgame charts silver, hope that continues

Thanks!

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Thanks! Yeah, posting them in the actual PGT's, it got tiresome waking up to 10 quote notifications going: 'LOL YOU THOUGHT X WAS BAD AND Y WAS GOOD!?!?!'

Maybe I'll dump 'em in here this season.

re xG: Don't think so, and wouldn't want to pass Manny's work as my own. When Corsica launches again, the xG will be available there, and maybe if we're lucky, Manny will launch 'ElkBot' again :)

I have long-term ambitions of creating my own xG linear regression model, but, it won't be as strong as Manny's or DTM's, so often I wonder... what's the point?

Thanks!

Hey if you don't ever do it, you'll never know. Unless it's a huge undertaking that takes away your free/personal time, then why not have a crack at it?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Hey if you don't ever do it, you'll never know. Unless it's a huge undertaking that takes away your free/personal time, then why not have a crack at it?

Yeah, it's kind of far down on my list of priorities for things to take care of outside of work.

One item on a very long list of long-term projects/ambitions.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The charts are nice and all but do you really need them if you watch the game?

Yes, because no one is able to correctly remember everything about every player in a specific game. It's nice to reference back to stats.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
thumbs-up-sign_1f44d.png

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Y'all got got

... Will be very curious to see how this board treats Skjei next off-season if his secondary assist numbers don't keep up this season. He's going to lose PP time, too. In fact, there's really no reason Skjei should get any PP time this year. Shattenkirk unit 1, McDonagh unit 2. 4F-1D, always. I did the work on Skjei but can't remember where I posted it. He had a below-average, among d-men, secondary to primary assist ratios.

Right now, we're back to people laughing at the idea of trading Miller+Skjei for Trouba. Meanwhile, in reality, we remember that Trouba is just one-month older than Brady, and has solidified himself as a legitimate top-pairing right-handed d-man.

What's Skjei? Not that. Maybe he will be. But one of these guys is, and plays the more premium position (right-side), and one of these guys might be.

This board needs to be more reflective. Take a major step backwards when evaluating your own players. We are so biased.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Desjardins:

Doesn't move the needle on shot attempts.
Got torched on goals, but could be a victim of a very low PDO. However, that's going to happen when you only record 1 point in 46 games.

I don't know how someone who records 11.89 individual shot attempts per 60 scores 0 goals, but here we are.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com

PTOs to Farnham and Desjardins, and Jagr is still just chilling. What are his contract demands that he's not signed yet? Preposterous. Truly.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Desjardins:

Doesn't move the needle on shot attempts.
Got torched on goals, but could be a victim of a very low PDO. However, that's going to happen when you only record 1 point in 46 games.

I don't know how someone who records 11.89 individual shot attempts per 60 scores 0 goals, but here we are.

http://www.naturalstattrick.com

PTOs to Farnham and Desjardins, and Jagr is still just chilling. What are his contract demands that he's not signed yet? Preposterous. Truly.

Jagr probably wants ~$4M and a NTC. I think he mentioned that he doesn't want to be traded mid season

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Jagr probably wants ~$4M and a NTC. I think he mentioned that he doesn't want to be traded mid season

He wants market value? Wow. For shame :sarcasm:

I really don't know why we haven't signed him yet. Solves so many problems.

Have **** centers? Easiest way to mask them is by signing wingers who drive play. Hello, Jagr.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He wants market value? Wow. For shame :sarcasm:

I really don't know why we haven't signed him yet. Solves so many problems.

Have **** centers? Easiest way to mask them is by signing wingers who drive play. Hello, Jagr.

Might have some resentment from the end of his tenure here, but :dunno:

SA gave a good breakdown of how Jagr's scoring hasn't dropped t/o the season (and proved me wrong in the process), so I'd have no problem bringing him in. It'd give me a reason to dust off my Jagr jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->