The Ability to watch preseason

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Is anyone else starting to wonder why its so difficult to watch the oilers preseason games. the last few times i have watched the oilers streams they are blurry and choppy.

i am also wondering why it seems every other team has their games televised (vancouver even) but no oiler game is ever on TV.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Sportsnet owns the rights to Oilers regional hockey. Only they or their partners (City, CBC) are able to air games. They've deemed it not worth the money to produce and pay talent for preseason games and that, I think, comes down to lack of interest and viewership (and, I think, the fact that Edmonton and Calgary share some production stuff - or, at least, they used to).

It wasn't that long ago we couldnt' watch all 82 actual games on television. So I don't really complain about ass-y preseason steams. I'm just glad we can watch them at all.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Not really. I use Google. It works great and a million people on this forum in game threads have pointed people straight to HD streams and have also encouraged people to PM them.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
It's ridiculous. Competing stations, competing providers, multiple channels from the same station usually playing the same C programming, sometimes the same content on a loop for half a day. Specialized channels for each team that's a black screen 99% of the time... And the most passion fan base in the country who hasn't watched their favorite sport in half a year has to choose between watching the game in terrible quality on their phone or tablet, or finding an illegal stream. It's 2019 for f*** sakes, we're supposed to have flying cars by now.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Is anyone else starting to wonder why its so difficult to watch the oilers preseason games. the last few times i have watched the oilers streams they are blurry and choppy.

i am also wondering why it seems every other team has their games televised (vancouver even) but no oiler game is ever on TV.

Quality hasn't been great, like 540p but some other streams have been good, not the "official ones" I wish they'd just use youtube because let's face it, Twitter and Facebook are absolute crap, while Youtube is pretty simple and has good quality live streams. Whoever is responsible isn't very Tech savvy.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Sportsnet owns the rights to Oilers regional hockey. Only they or their partners (City, CBC) are able to air games. They've deemed it not worth the money to produce and pay talent for preseason games and that, I think, comes down to lack of interest and viewership (and, I think, the fact that Edmonton and Calgary share some production stuff - or, at least, they used to).

It wasn't that long ago we couldnt' watch all 82 actual games on television. So I don't really complain about ass-y preseason steams. I'm just glad we can watch them at all.
Remember they had some games as ppv the first few years after the cup run

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Every stream I've seen is Crystal clear. Several straight from the Oilers' Twitter.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
It seems like they should probably televise every game in this day and age.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
The thing that makes me mad is that I pay my cable provider an crap tonne of money for the NHL package. So every game is on my tv but it’s blacked out. If it’s all blacked out why I am paying more money for access to more games?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The thing that makes me mad is that I pay my cable provider an crap tonne of money for the NHL package. So every game is on my tv but it’s blacked out. If it’s all blacked out why I am paying more money for access to more games?
Ahhaha

Cable.

It's one thing to have to pay for bad service, when literally everything is free on the internet.

Only pay for things that have good service, or don't pay at all. Let the free market adjust.

But yeah, most people are cutting cable for good reason. It's almost like getting printed newspaper.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Not really to worried about watching preseason games. Just kind of have it on in the backgound as filler. The veteran players give 0 effort and the other half of the team has almost no shot at making the NHL. The only players worth watching are the prospects that are trying to break it but most of those players get cut in the first week.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Ahhaha

Cable.

It's one thing to have to pay for bad service, when literally everything is free on the internet.

Only pay for things that have good service, or don't pay at all. Let the free market adjust.

But yeah, most people are cutting cable for good reason. It's almost like getting printed newspaper.

You look at cable plans now and they know this as well. They charge like $100/month for high speed internet then they throw in a cable package for an extra $30.
We need more competition here to eliminate the Shaw/Telus/Bell monopoly.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Ahhaha

Cable.

Yes but I don’t live in a city, so my internet is not great, the games are very delayed and rarely load well, I cancelled my prescription for 1.5 years, literally could barely watch hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad