The "6 points in 5 games"/Overreact to Every Game Thread

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, with last night's win, I'm good with this stretch. 5 points in 5 games isn't ideal, but we can likely make it up later in the season.

But 7 points in 5 would be great :naughty:

It's already more than I expected, none of these were gimmes except Philly.

Getting a point against Detroit and a win against the Caps is awesome. A point here would solidify a good five games.

If we're hitting 6 points against THESE 5 teams, we'll do OK this season.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
****, Philly wasn't even close to a gimme given our history against them. They could have a 10-72 season and I'd bet about half their wins would come against us, just the way things usually work with Carolina and Philly.

I think the big takeaway so far is that the only game we were looking outclassed in was Pittsburgh, and even then we hung with them until they pulled away in the 3rd. We haven't exactly boat raced anyone like San Jose is doing but the fact that we hung with Detroit arguably looking like the better team for much of the game, and clearly looked like the better team against Washington and Philly is a good sign.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
****, Philly wasn't even close to a gimme given our history against them. They could have a 10-72 season and I'd bet about half their wins would come against us, just the way things usually work with Carolina and Philly.

I think the big takeaway so far is that the only game we were looking outclassed in was Pittsburgh, and even then we hung with them until they pulled away in the 3rd. We haven't exactly boat raced anyone like San Jose is doing but the fact that we hung with Detroit arguably looking like the better team for much of the game, and clearly looked like the better team against Washington and Philly is a good sign.

Yeah, even the terrible 06-07 Flyers team won the season series against us going 2-1-1. They outscored us 5-2 and 5-1 in their two wins.

I still expect the Flyers to spank us a few times this year, even if we have a good season...

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It also doesn't help that Mason, despite being generally mediocre, has very good numbers against us, especially at PNC. Definitely happy with the first 5 game stretch.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Just a small suggestion to Mr. Bomber, sir...if I may: instead of tracking this in individual posts, maybe it would be good to track it in Post #1?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Just a small suggestion to Mr. Bomber, sir...if I may: instead of tracking this in individual posts, maybe it would be good to track it in Post #1?

Yeah, I'll be updating the first post every 5 games. Was going to do it after tonight's game.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
OP updated

Can't really complain about this start. Had some games where our goaltenders have bailed us out, but that's what they're paid for.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Bolded are my predictions:

Oct. 13 - Phoenix Coyotes W
Oct. 15 - Chicago Blackhawks L
Oct. 17 - Toronto Maple Leafs OTL
Oct. 19 - New York Islanders L
Oct. 24 - Minnesota Wild W

So 5 in 5.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'll go optimist: 7 points

Phe - W
Chi - OTL
TML - L
NYI - W
MIN - W

middle set are "flex" games which i could see going any direction depending on what the teams play like. Toronto and zee Isles are hot, but beatable, and we usually have pretty good results on their ice. Chicago we usually play well here, not so much on the road.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Looking ahead...

Chicago (ugh)
Toronto (normally fine, but they've started out playing really well)
Islanders (****in' Tavares)
Minnesota (Western team...auto loss)

Wouldn't have pegged this stretch as a rough one when the season started, but it's starting to shape up that way.

Frank Booth239*

Not that there's much to be optimistic about, but I think I'll roll the dice and go to the Chicago game. If for nothing else than we always beat them at home.

Seems weird, the teams from the Western Conference that the Canes always beat, like Chicago and Vancouver, and always seem to lose to Phoenix and Nashville.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Looking ahead...

Chicago (ugh)
Toronto (normally fine, but they've started out playing really well)
Islanders (****in' Tavares)
Minnesota (Western team...auto loss)

Wouldn't have pegged this stretch as a rough one when the season started, but it's starting to shape up that way.

Every stretch is a rough stretch as a Canes fan.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yep, even playing well against Chicago and LA, 2 points in 4 games would have been a serious hole this early in the season.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
With the talent they have on the roster (on paper), it seems like it has to be only a matter of time before the Wild put it together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad