Boston Bruins The 4th Line Dilemma

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Also, does anyone actually think anyone is afraid of Ryan White? Half the board would probably stand a good chance against him, he's a terrible fighter. I doubt Vegas is saying, "Omg, I hope they sign him AFTER we play, he scares me"

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
In my opinion, the Bruins have more of a 3rd line dilemma than a 4th line one. Pick the 3/4 best 4th line players on the team and put them on a line. Something like a Kuraly - Nash - Acciari/White 4th line. A dependable defensive line that has speed and some grit.

The lack of a dependable and consistent 3rd line is what is ailing the Bruins more than a 4th line. The lack of a 3rd line is putting more pressure on the top 2 lines which currently and may still contain two rookies in the foreseeable future. Where do Beleskey, Spooner, Vatrano, and Backes fit on the team? If the Bruins had the Beleskey and Vatrano of two years ago, an effective Spooner, and a better Backes, there may be a solution there for the 3rd line, but apart from Backes who has started the season on IR, it's hard to see where the other 3 fit or if they become an effective 3rd line unit.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Also, does anyone actually think anyone is afraid of Ryan White? Half the board would probably stand a good chance against him, he's a terrible fighter. I doubt Vegas is saying, "Omg, I hope they sign him AFTER we play, he scares me"
No one is saying people are scared of Ryan White. I'm saying that he's willing and will hit anything that moves as well as chip in with a goal here and there.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
No we need a Reaves and a Simmonds type. Ryan Reaves is a perfect 4th line player, so much so the vaunted Penguins thought enough of him to give up a first round pick. Fast, tough, tremendous hitter and far and away the best fighter in the game right now, tell me how he scoring 8 goals and being a physical presence is worse than Czarnik scoring 6 goals and being faster?

You may be tired of my wanting toughness and how to go about getting it (trade some of the over valued prospects for players who can hit, fight and skate or sign them in the offseason and not spend the season trying to find them because you aren't doing your job as a GM and getting your team prepared) but the mantra of small, soft and fast is just as tiresome.
Excellent post. Spot on.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I'm amazed, truly amazed at how many Bruins fans want soft, speedy players who provide little to no offense over more physical ones.

Who really cares if anyone is afraid of Ryan White or not? At least he has something the team totally lacks and that is the willingness to hit and fight. I wonder if anyone goes Oh no here comes Czarnik and Heinen and all their blinding speed? HA!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd like to see a fourth line of

Vatrano-Nash-Heinen

Watched Heinen last Saturday and was impressed by his development- more assertive, excellent puck skills and speed

Going to be a good player

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Vatrano-Nash-Heinen

Watched Heinen last Saturday and was impressed by his development- more assertive, excellent puck skills and speed

And the physicality of a sponge.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Blidh - Kuraly - White................ till Acciari gets back then we should know if White has matured, then go offensive on the 3 other lines.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
And the physicality of a sponge.
Look at Colorado

Their 4th line has Comeau, Colin Wilson, and that brute Soderberg

Unless I am missing something that pound for pound is the softest line I've ever seen and at about $12 M

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I just want a fourth line that is a pain in the ass to play against and brings energy. I think we have the ingredients for such a line with Kuraly-Acciari-White. I am not a huge Ryan White fan but he is actually a decent player that can play all positions and will bring a spark. He is not going to intimidate anyone but he is a better player than most people think. May actually prove to be a valuable depth piece. if he sucks or falls out of favor when everyone is healthy just send him to the AHL.

I want each line to build an identity. one of the problems I see with this team right now is they seem like a bunch of spare parts, there is no chemistry. the fourth line should be easy with the players we have. Play them ten minutes a night and tell them to forecheck hard and create some chaos.

in regards to the fighting debate, I am actually happy the league has phased out the goons that could'nt skate a regular shift. However, I think that has made players that can actually skate and fight more valuable and the Bruins need to find a forward that can do that. Ideally it would be a younger guy that can play in the top 9. These types have become very hard to find.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

Vatrano-Nash-Heinen

There seems to be three big Heinen fans here. I simply don't get the overwhelming fandom here. What brings on this incredible desire to have this particular in the lineup?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
There seems to be three big Heinen fans here. I simply don't get the overwhelming fandom here. What brings on this incredible desire to have this particular in the lineup?
I watched him live several times in Providence and followed him in college but I'm a baseball and football guy so likely I don't know what I'm talking about. The other two I'm not aware of.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Kuraly, Frederic, and Zboril as well but excellent point by you
Fine, but let me know when those three do anything noteworthy. Kuraly I do like in the small flashes we've seen. He still needs to do more.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fine, but let me know when those three do anything noteworthy. Kuraly I do like in the small flashes we've seen. He still needs to do more.
Kuraly I believe dressed last year against Ottawa and sort of had a noteworthy game but I had no way of notifying you

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Look at Colorado

Their 4th line has Comeau, Colin Wilson, and that brute Soderberg

Unless I am missing something that pound for pound is the softest line I've ever seen and at about $12 M

Colorado had 48 points last year. Not the team I would look to in an argument for fielding a fourth line of wimps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad