The 4 0n 4 Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I keep reading about how a team would take a minor to make the game four on four for a while because they were good at it. I want want to know what is the logic did the coach use? You loose your extra man, you've got the same number of people to defend with, when five on four is better in your own end. More men attacking is better as you have more options open for pass and shots.

The only logic I can see is that there is more space on the ice, put the advantage goes to the other team as well so it cancels out. If you want the space then you can tell one guy the stand on his own blue line when your team is with the puck to catch dumps and pass it back in quickly.

Could someone give me some in sight to things conserning this please?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Kimi3013 said:
I keep reading about how a team would take a minor to make the game four on four for a while because they were good at it. I want want to know what is the logic did the coach use? You loose your extra man, you've got the same number of people to defend with, when five on four is better in your own end. More men attacking is better as you have more options open for pass and shots.

The only logic I can see is that there is more space on the ice, put the advantage goes to the other team as well so it cancels out. If you want the space then you can tell one guy the stand on his own blue line when your team is with the puck to catch dumps and pass it back in quickly.

Could someone give me some in sight to things conserning this please?

You actually answered your own question, it's the open ice space. During the Oilers heyday, if one of the Oiler's pests could draw an opponent into going off to the box with him in matching minors, it freed up ice for Gretzky, Kurri, Coffey and Anderson to skate. The skill teams could really take advantage.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
So it was more of the Oiler's players taking the other guy down with them when they got a minor?

I was confused on why they didn't just have one guy keeping out the way, staying down there own end to help out should they loose the puck. But if they got the minor first I can see the logic.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Kimi3013 said:
So it was more of the Oiler's players taking the other guy down with them when they got a minor?

I was confused on why they didn't just have one guy keeping out the way, staying down there own end to help out should they loose the puck. But if they got the minor first I can see the logic.

They wouldn't already be receiving the minor, they would try to get someone into a pushing match, etc that would result in two minors at once..

The more space on the ice, the less opportunity for clutching and grabbing and the greater the advantage to the more talented team.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I see now. It not like they went out to get a minor when they were on the power play to make it four on four. It was taking the minors at even strength, sacrificing a player to do so. I understand now.

I guess the Oiler's didn't need the extra man for a power play when they had the players they did back them.

Thanks for the help!!

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Kimi3013 said:
I see now. It not like they went out to get a minor when they were on the power play to make it four on four. It was taking the minors at even strength, sacrificing a player to do so. I understand now.

I guess the Oiler's didn't need the extra man for a power play when they had the players they did back them.

Thanks for the help!!

You're welcome, Kimi! It's kind of sad to think back to those days in a way. Those of us who were young Oiler fans in those took for granted the fun you could have watching that team. Others will disagree, but I had a lot of fun watching those 9-6 hockey games!

chooch*

Bring Back Bucky said:
You're welcome, Kimi! It's kind of sad to think back to those days in a way. Those of us who were young Oiler fans in those took for granted the fun you could have watching that team. Others will disagree, but I had a lot of fun watching those 9-6 hockey games!

yeah those were real great hockey games, 9-6 huh? bucky.....la premiere etoile Kelly! Butchberger!

KariyaIsGod*

chooch said:
yeah those were real great hockey games, 9-6 huh? bucky.....la premiere etoile Kelly! Butchberger!

Must you hijack every single thread mentioning the Oilers?

As for the topic... They were deadly 4 on 4. THey should take out the Gretzky rule when the NHL comes bakc too. Minor change but might create a bit more offense...

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Kimi3013 said:
Could someone give me some in sight to things con[c]erning this please?

The main difference would be that the opposing team wouldn't be allowed to clear the puck without icing being called. You say that you can keep a guy back to catch clearing passes, but all the other players still have to clear the zone, and time gets taken off the clock.

I'd be curious to see if any team actually has scored more goals per ice time four-on-four than they have on the power play. Can't see that happening.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kimi3013 said:

Because if you have the extra guy why not just plant him in front of the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad