Paul Stastny
Guillaume Latendresse
Mason Raymond
Adam McQuaid

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Who isn't an impact player......:laugh:

Not hatin, just saying. I am one of his biggest fans, but he still hasn't proven ****.

Not gonna get into another discussion about Markström, but to say he isn't proven is ********. He hasn't proven anything in the NHL because he hasn't gotten the chance (except when Clemmer was pulled against NJ). But carrying a weak SEL team alone at the age of 17-18 is definitely something "proven" his talent in the worlds third best league. He had a rough start in the AHL, but was a lot better in the second half. Doesn't sound like you're a big fan when you're saying that.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
2nd round picks are all very valuable, as much as people might laugh at that. People joke about the Leafs and how they ended up getting late 1st rounders and that those are basically throw away picks. They aren't.

Even in the draft guide edition of the hockey news they profile the 2nd round and touch on the trending notion that 2nd round picks could be the hottest commodity right now among GM's.

2nd round picks are valuable. Top line dman are more often found in the 2nd round than any other round, including the first round. Teams like Detroit and Nashville usually keep their 2nds if they trade their first.

2nd round picks have a lot of value. I wouldn't even mind if the Leafs traded one of their picks backwards to get another 2nd and 3rd rounder.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Vancouver
------------
1998 - Artem Chubarov (Burke had just been hired a week before, so it's tough to imagine he had a ton of input on the draft process)
1999 - traded to Avs for coach Marc Crawford
2000 - Had two picks, traded own pick for 2001 pick, traded another for Devils prospect Vadim Sharifijanov
2001 - Had three picks, traded for Drake Berehowsky, traded with Adrian Aucoin for Dan Cloutier, traded for Alex Auld
2002 - Had two picks, selected Kirill Kolstov and Denis Grot
2003 - Marc-Andre Bernier
2004 - Traded for Johan Hedberg

Anaheim
-------------
2005 - Had two picks, drafted Brendan Mikkelson with one, traded the other for Todd Fedoruk
2006 - Had two picks, drafted Bryce Swan with one, traded the other for Jeff Friesen
2007 - Had three picks, drafted Eric Tangradi with one they got by trading down, traded for George Parros (with pick they got for Vitali Vishnevski), traded their own pick in a package for coach Randy Carlyle
2008 - Used own pick in the Pronger trade, traded down twice for picks #35 and #39 and got Nic Deschamps and Eric O'Dell.
2009 - Traded for Brian Sutherby in 2007

Toronto
------------
2009 - Acquired two picks via trade, drafted Kenny Ryan and Jesse Blacker
2010 - Reacquired then used own 2nd in the Phil Kessel trade, acquired a pick for Jimmy Hayes and drafted Brad Ross

Obviously not the greatest array of talent brought in, but the teams getting those 2nd rounders generally didn't draft guys who were much better.

Fans like to lay the drafting process on the GM but its more the scouting staff. They do the ground work and most of the choosing. Now ultimately the GM has the final say, but more often than not, the GM is smart enough to let the staff he pays to scout, make the choices. Yes, he will scout from time to time but Burke usually lets his scouts play with his picks. Toronto's scouting in recent years has been very good. In fact it gets a bad rep when its late round picks were actually quite decent even in the JFJ years. Kulemin, Gunnarsson, Stalberg, Reimer were all picks by a Leaf scouting department that has only been beefed up even more.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Especially this year there is so many guys that are bubble players on the edge of the first round.

this exactly

at top prospect game back in feb

almost all of the guys showed first round skills and attributes

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think it will be very important to the Oil. Last year the thought was 100% re-stocking the prospect cupboard and I highly doubt Tambo ever considered moving 31 (also the fact Pitlick fell out of the 1st rd). This year I think Tambo will consider moving it depending on who falls in the draft vs who is an available cap casualty. Probably more likely it isn't moved, but you never know.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not gonna get into another discussion about Markström, but to say he isn't proven is ********. He hasn't proven anything in the NHL because he hasn't gotten the chance (except when Clemmer was pulled against NJ). But carrying a weak SEL team alone at the age of 17-18 is definitely something "proven" his talent in the worlds third best league. He had a rough start in the AHL, but was a lot better in the second half. Doesn't sound like you're a big fan when you're saying that.

Talk to me when he has done something at the NHL level, then we'll see about "proving himself". That's the ultimate test for me and it should be for every player in the world.

Like I said, I love the guy (he is my 2nd favorite goalie in the world) but that doesn't change the fact that he is still yet to prove that he is going to be the stud everyone thinks he is.

Sure he hasn't had the chance per say, but that doesn't change the fact that he is still unproven against the best of the best.

vannzee

Ruslan Salei fan...
Dec 18, 2010
S.E Michigan
Seeing players picked in the second round is a fallacy to me when compared to the first round players. I think that the case could be made to include the 2nd round on down. Where the first round is typically the b.p.a but rounds 2 thru 7 is often about team preference. A first rounder could become a hall of famer, just like a 2nd, 3rd or even 7th rounder could as well. Espically in hockey where you draft a player and he doesnt join your system for some time allowing for more development.

Edmonton has two first round selections. I think they will stay at one but could use their other first and second rounder to move up near the top 10 in my opinion. It is a very valuable selection, not worth more then any of the picks before it though.

Who are some players expected to be on the board at this pick this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad