The 2nd All Encompassing World Juniors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I guess I will chime in on the Holloway talk. I don't see things a whole lot different than others have already said. He looks like a "total compete" guy, which aligns to his pre-draft talk as well. Looks like a guy that you won't have to convince to play a full 200-foot game in the pros. His skating is certainly a plus as well, its not at the Broberg/McDavid level, but it is certainly already at least NHL average, and likely a little higher than NHL average. This is double impressive given his slightly bigger than average size as well. He uses that speed+size to be super aggressive on the forecheck and be involved in the play, which is always nice to see. A NHL team needs those guys for sure.

The issues come with his apparent offensive limitations, which have also been on display in the tournament so far. I can't think of 1 time where I was impressed with what he did with the puck. I'm not saying he is making bad decisions left and right, but rather he isn't doing anything that would make me believe he has the ability to have offensive impact in the NHL. He has mishandled the puck a few times on the rush, and thrown a "hope/pray" pass into the middle a few times as well. He is a plus on the cycle, and has enough skill to make a pass though.

Now, all this is after watching him for literally around 20 shifts, so..... yeah, take it all with a grain of salt. However, given this very limited viewing, his pre-draft scouting seems very accurate. His floor seems like a guy who is just destined to be a 4th line energy guy at the worst. However, I just don't see a top-6 forward in him, skill-wise anyhow. He screams middle-6 winger who can play on the 2nd line if there is another dominant player for him to feed off of and create space for. That being said, he actually probably would work out decently on 97/29 wing. But that is more because of the fact that 97 and 29 can drive their own line, and Holloway would just be there to play the "Kassian role" and open up space, go into the corners, etc. Based on actual skill, he isn't an ideal guy for those centers. But again, this is an exceptionally small sample size.

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sure hope he can pick it up offensively going forward. They will need goals from everyone once they start playing the good teams. I know scoring isn't everything, but Canada has potted nearly 30 goals and he has one assist.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I heard the anecdote about I think it was Canada vs. Norway getting 90 shots on net. So almost a shot a minute....I think. They should expand the format so we can see triple that some day.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Man these games have been really boring for the most part. Hoping for some close, watchable games tonight :laugh::help:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Earl Sweatshirt
Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

Reactions: Drivesaitl

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I still don't think 6 pts Byfield skates well.... Actually worse than last season. But hey, if he gets points anyway good for him.

Sorry to bring this back up, but since basically any negative opinion on Byfield was ridiculed after his 6 pts vs Switzerland I thought it could be worth explaining the why behind it. If he regains his skating or if he manages to put up points without it, great for him. My point yesterday was that he looks slow and/or not agile. I only saw half of the game and like 1 Byfield pt though...

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
I still don't think 6 pts Byfield skates well.... Actually worse than last season. But hey, if he gets points anyway good for him.

Sorry to bring this back up, but since basically any negative opinion on Byfield was ridiculed after his 6 pts vs Switzerland I thought it could be worth explaining the why behind it. If he regains his skating or if he manages to put up points without it, great for him. My point yesterday was that he looks slow and/or not agile. I only saw half of the game and like 1 Byfield pt though...

Didn’t they mention he bulked up during the off season? Perhaps he’s still adjusting to the added weight which is why he looks slower.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I think he was awful last year.. and somewhat invisible this....but i think it comes down to him dictating the play. If he can he will be on more pucks than not. If its all rush play he may not.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Didn’t they mention he bulked up during the off season? Perhaps he’s still adjusting to the added weight which is why he looks slower.
Yes they did, and I thought that opinion made a lot of sense. Putting on too much weight too fast, makes perfect sense by my eye and happens lots of kids coming into age. He can obviously come back from it.

Just thought that some people pointing out his flaws yesterday were roasted afterwards, but context was important.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
How about that nice bank shot by Hatakka off the goalie's shoulder from the bad angle. As I'm writing they score again. Helenius on the rebound. 5-0 Finland now.

Tomorow's game between Canada and Finland should be a close affair. Thinking ahead to the QF would be a bad idea for Team Canada.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

He's absolutely massive, got a dynamite shot, a decent pass, and has phenomenal straight line speed. There is a lot to like there, and even with me being fairly low on the player, I have to admit it is hard not to see the potential for this kid to be an absolute monster if he figures things out.

That being said, honestly I think he is a deeply flawed player at this point in time. His edgework is atrocious for a player picked this high in the NHL draft; he skates on his edges like a wilted husk of a man whose skating talents McDavid harvested for his own personal gain. When he turns he has the vigor and dexterity of a Naval Aircraft Carrier going full steam ahead. For a behemothly large kid, he seems to fall apart in traffic, and loses more puck battles than he wins. You see the frame, add the pedigree, and you think he would control the puck and the game like a Kopitar, Draisaitl or a Thornton does, but he plays the game very similiar to a guy like say a Marian Gaborik... most of his highlights seem to be him winding up and finding a hole in a way he doesn't have the agility to achieve in the NHL. He also kind of lacks any dynamism to his attack, seems like he just goes as fast as he can until he needs to slow down to not lose the puck. Which, again, I would say another big weakness to his game is his puck control and handling at top speeds, just seems like his hands can't keep up.

There is maybe a player there, a damn good one perhaps, but he has some real growing to do, imo. For one, he needs to spend like 3 straight years with the best skating coach he can find. For two, he needs some real work on his puck control. Finally, he really needs to add some jam to his game; the biggest guy in the damn scrum shouldn't be the most tentitive. He's 6'5 220 playing against guys who are like 5'8 180...He ought to win every damn puck battle. He shouldn't be shying away from a little contact; let that defender drape his way on you and just put your shoulder down and drive the puck to the net...

The big question for me, is does he lack the will to play that kind of game? Or does he simply not know how because he's always been towering so far above his peers physically that he hasn't really had to ? It kind of reminds me of a Young Joe Thornton; its ludicrous now, but the biggest criticism of his game when he was a top draft pick with similiar pedigree was questions about if there was any fight in the dog. Hell, Joe Thornton's WJC in his Draft year he only scored 4 points in 9 games @ -3. Of course, some 20+ years later, Thornton is regarded as one of the players with perhaps the most fight in the league. A guy who after breaking his arm in the third game of a playoff series, went on to play the remaining 4 games.

I suppose the big positive for Byfield is that he's already a force at this level with the aforementioned flaws. With hard work, good leadership, and some luck I could easily see him being one of the best players in the league. I could also see him being the next Hugh Jessiman... but I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad