The 22nd Best Player In NHL History

Who's the 22nd best player in NHL history?

• Total voters

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Best Players in NHL history (according to previous poll results):

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Bobby Orr
4. Gordie Howe
5. Jaromir Jagr
6. Sidney Crosby
7. Dominik Hasek
8. Alexander Ovechkin
9. Jean Beliveau
10. Bobby Hull
11. Maurice Richard
12. Nicklas Lidstrom
13. Patrick Roy
14. Ray Bourque
15. Doug Harvey
16. Mark Messier
17. Phil Esposito
18. Guy Lafleur
19. Martin Brodeur
20. Joe Sakic
21. Steve Yzerman

To be added:

Bill Cook
Dickie Moore
Ron Francis​

Reactions: Dingo

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Torn between Bossy and Mikita. Both should go before Malkin imo. Went with Bossy because his PPG numbers are absurd (regardless of his era). I don’t think you can hold the trophy debate against him because he overlapped with Gretzky...

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Torn between Bossy and Mikita. Both should go before Malkin imo. Went with Bossy because his PPG numbers are absurd (regardless of his era). I don’t think you can hold the trophy debate against him because he overlapped with Gretzky...

I'm not sure Malkin has surpassed Bobby Clarke. I don't think he has surpassed Mikita.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
The fact that Bossy has 9 votes to Potvin's 4 and Trottier's 1 proves to me the main boards have no idea how to rate historical players.

Edit: Holy f*** I didn't realize Malkin was leading the poll. This thread needs to end it's legit embarrassing.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The fact that Bossy has 9 votes to Potvin's 4 and Trottier's 1 proves to me the main boards have no idea how to rate historical players.

Yeah, this is what I said in the previous poll...

Bossy is getting good support... is he really better than Potvin or even Trottier? Just asking. I don't think I would rank higher than Potvin. Has LordNeverLose been around lately?

Potvin > Trottier > Bossy or Potvin > Bossy > Trottier, right?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Yeah, this is what I said in the previous poll...

Potvin > Trottier > Bossy or Potvin > Bossy > Trottier, right?
Really there's a lot of debate amongst Islander fans between these 3, and all are for sure all-time great player, but the consensus is definitely that Bossy was the 3rd best, although he might be more beloved by a lot of fans due to his insane playoffs and the fact that goal-scoring is more exciting.

To me it's Potvin > Trottier > Bossy, although Potvin and Trottier are so tough to decide between.

Edit: because I know most people voting didn't watch them play and instead are basing their opinions on stat pages, just look at the Hart voting resumes. That should show you pretty clearly that Bossy was not the best player of the 3 (and not the 22nd best player ever, as much as I love him)

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
Good job, TS, keep it up. Dont let the HOH snobs stop this with their whining. This encourages debate and research, and the list aint half bad. Its also a nice fresh take, as that group is somewhat entrenched in their rhetoric, which has been built up and fossilized over many, many years.

Reactions: Flooppi

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Agreed OP these polls are entertaining - and I appreciate the effort you're putting forth in listing so many candidates each time. For as crappy as the voting has been - I feel as though the poll options are strong and the poll series has been run well.

One favor - please do not add Ron Francis anytime soon lol.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Standings at the time of writing: 1) Malkin, 2) Mikita, 3) Bossy, 4) Morenz.

I'll take the person called the greatest NHLer of the first half of the 20th century over a trio of guys who weren't the best player on their own team. My vote's going to Morenz.
My thinking, exactly. I also would take Shore over guys like Lidstrom and co.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad