Speculation: The 21-22 Oilers have a chance to be historically good on special teams

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Oilers have been the #1 powerplay team, by some distance, for a couple of years now. They were 2% better than any other team last year with a 27.6% PP. They were more than 4 percent better than anyone else in 19-20 with a 29+% PP - a better PP than any helmed by Gretzky, Lemieux, Ovechkin, Crosby, or the dynasty Red Wings. Zach Hyman will take over for Alex Chiasson in front of the net. It's not hard to see how a big number here is possible.

But the Oilers have quietly been a pretty good shorthanded team as well. Last year, after a rough start, the Oilers were the best PK team in the NHL down the stretch and finished 9th with an 82.5% rating. In 19-20, they were second in the NHL with an 84.4% rating.

This summer the Oilers have added to lead penalty killers Darnell Nurse, Josh Archbald, Leon Draisaitl and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins with Cody Ceci (2:32 TOI/G, one of the highest minute getting PKing defenseman over the last 5 years), Zach Hyman (1:58 TOI/G, the top Leafs penalty killing forward in 4 of the last 5 seasons) and Derek Ryan (a centre who has excelled 4v5 his whole career, is a clear upgrade on SH faceoffs over Jujhar and RNH). They were essentially already a high-end PK team who have added several other teams top penalty killers at the expense of two regulars in Adam Larsson and Jujhar Khaira.

The Oilers collective special teams percent was 110.1 in 20-21 & 113.9 in 19-20 (the best in modern history). Can they top that and hit 115%, which is elite on a level no team has achieved in the post expansion era?

Why or why not?

Last edited:

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
PP should be a lock in the top 3.

I'm expecting the PK to be top 10 with some adjustment period for the new guys on the team. Top 5 would be great but my area of concern is elsewhere.

Reactions: SK13

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Great post and thread idea, it's certainly possible.

Also to note, they will likely be getting more penalties drawn with their new additions. Hyman and Foegele should be drawing more penalties due to play style, Foegele led the league one year as well.

Reactions: SK13

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I think it's possible, especially considering Ryan's prowess at the dot, but the most notable department of our PK, our goaltending, remains the same. Honestly, the goaltending is probably worse due to age/enduring Costco membership. That probably drops our gaudy late stage PK numbers.

Im also (generally) worried with Ceci being our only defenceman who can be trusted to play D on the RHS. Barrie probably PKs a bit - not because we want him to, but because I don't think Tippet will trust a rookie.

On the flip, PP probably maintains its shockingly good numbers. Hyman for Chiasson is hopefully a big plus, but I can see it being a wash.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Stupid phone refreshed and I lost my write up but basically I agree that the powerplay will still be top 5 with even better personal and more options. PK has more turnover and has some big losses. Ceci and Keith were the top PK from their previous teams while Hyman, Foegele and Ryan should hopefully replace Kharia and Haas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad