Pre-Game Talk: The 2022-2023 First Goal of the Game and Puppy Pic Thread (Use link in OP to submit picks)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Continuing on with the time honoured tradition, the First Goal of the Game game is underway!

---> ---> ---> CFHF's "First Goal of the Game" Game <--- <--- <---

1. Pick the two players you think may get the first goal, along with the situation (Even Strength, Power Play, Short Handed, Penalty Shot)
2. Pick one player you think may get the game winner, along with the situation (Even Strength, Power Play, Short Handed, Penalty Shot)
3. Enter your HF username
4. Hit submit

Format:
- Your first pick gets you 5 points
- Your second pick gets you 3 points
- The game winner gets you 1 point
- Guessing the correct scoring situation gets you a bonus point
- Picking 'shutout' or 'loss' gets you eternal damnation

Once the official game time* has passed, no more picks are allowed. Please make sure to get your picks in ahead of time to be fair to everyone. Good luck!

*Official game time is the scheduled start of the game as stated by the NHL (and Calgary Flames) schedule.*

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I think it’s the matter of playing every game. This is a luck game.

Also there is a minor flaw in the point system that should change next year

What is your suggestion?

Yeah it's definitely a luck game. Lately I've been mostly picking "secondary" scorers cause the guys we're supposed to depend on haven't been stepping up.

I think one point for picking a loss is fine but GWG should get more points. Maybe 3.

As it is right now, it doesn’t make sense to pick anything except loss. The odd is 10x better.

For example today the Flames have a 50% chance of winning. Even if they win, you have at best a 10% chance of picking the right guy

Okay, you make a good point. The current points are just an accumulation of changes that happened over the last handful of seasons. We can discuss and revise all the points/bonuses before next season.

Okay so before the next regular season starts, do we want to reconsider the point scoring? What are the suggestions?

Or are you okay with it now that you were last season's winner? :laugh:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Okay so before the next regular season starts, do we want to reconsider the point scoring? What are the suggestions?

Or are you okay with it now that you were last season's winner? :laugh:
Hihihi I am good with whatever you guys decide. Just saying do something so we don’t benefit by picking the Flames loss..lol

Maybe, 2 or 3 pts if you actually pick the right GWG. If you pick a loss and it’s right you get only 1 point?

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I haven't played this in forever, but instead of GWG, why not a 3rd option for 1st goal?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I didn't like the loss points, because I hated picking loss as the result. I do like the premise.

Maybe a second category of bonus points, being the "game outcome". Pick a win, get a point. Pick a loss get a point. Additional bonus points could be awarded for selecting the outcome in regulation, more bonus points for selecting the outcome in overtime or shootout as the case may be.

Or just revert to the rules from the season from where I won.
(except now I can't spam Gaudreau Lindholm and Tkachuk all season)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I haven't played this in forever, but instead of GWG, why not a 3rd option for 1st goal?

I actually like this idea the best. The whole spirit of the game was to pick the first scorer and I only introduced the GWG as a "loser point" to keep scores closer so there wouldn't be just a few people running away on the leader board.

Maybe something like
First pick = 3 points
Second pick = 2 points
Third pick = 1 point

And then picking the right situation gets you a bonus point?

And then get rid of GWG completely?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I actually like this idea the best. The whole spirit of the game was to pick the first scorer and I only introduced the GWG as a "loser point" to keep scores closer so there wouldn't be just a few people running away on the leader board.

Maybe something like
First pick = 3 points
Second pick = 2 points
Third pick = 1 point

And then picking the right situation gets you a bonus point?

And then get rid of GWG completely?
That's what I would do, and now that I think about, this whole thing was started by me stealing teh idea from HFKings and you made it better with the website. I'd completely forgotten :laugh:

Maybe check their page and see what they do now?

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad