The 2021 World Juniors Begin on December 25th

wreckless

Apr 27, 2010
vancouver
From the bubble in Edmonton.. here we go!

Full Schedule: https://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-c...junior/2020-21

CALGARY, Alberta. – For the first time since 2005, the IIHF World Junior Championship, a holiday hockey tradition, will get underway on Christmas Day. Three games highlight the opening-day schedule before Canada’s National Junior Team begins defence of its gold medal against Germany on Boxing Day.
Hockey Canada and the host committee, on behalf of the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF), unveiled the full tournament schedule Monday. All 28 games will be played at Rogers Place in Edmonton, from Dec. 25, 2020 to Jan. 5, 2021.
The 10-team tournament features Canada in Group A with Finland, Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland. Group B is comprised of Austria, the Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden and the United States.
In addition to Canada’s Boxing Day match-up with Germany, it will also play Slovakia on Dec. 27 and Switzerland on Dec. 29 before closing out the preliminary round with a New Year’s Eve showdown with Finland.
TSN and RDS, the official broadcast partners of Hockey Canada, will carry extensive game coverage and analysis throughout the World Juniors, including all 28 tournament games and all 10 pre-tournament games that begin Dec. 20. TSN Radio will also provide comprehensive tournament coverage, with details to be announced at a later date.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
WHL and OHL starting in January. For Canada it will be a challenge to create a winning team.

Why? The WHL/OHL starting then has no bearing on Team Canada. Like every other year, teams will release their best player to play for Canada or any other team. In fact this year it makes it easier since the tournament will be over prior to the start of their seasons. Missing training camp is a less of an issue than missing a 3-4 weeks worth of games mid-season.

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
From the bubble in Edmonton.. here we go!

Full Schedule: https://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team-c...junior/2020-21

CALGARY, Alberta. – For the first time since 2005, the IIHF World Junior Championship, a holiday hockey tradition, will get underway on Christmas Day. Three games highlight the opening-day schedule before Canada’s National Junior Team begins defence of its gold medal against Germany on Boxing Day.
Hockey Canada and the host committee, on behalf of the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF), unveiled the full tournament schedule Monday. All 28 games will be played at Rogers Place in Edmonton, from Dec. 25, 2020 to Jan. 5, 2021.
The 10-team tournament features Canada in Group A with Finland, Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland. Group B is comprised of Austria, the Czech Republic, Russia, Sweden and the United States.
In addition to Canada’s Boxing Day match-up with Germany, it will also play Slovakia on Dec. 27 and Switzerland on Dec. 29 before closing out the preliminary round with a New Year’s Eve showdown with Finland.
TSN and RDS, the official broadcast partners of Hockey Canada, will carry extensive game coverage and analysis throughout the World Juniors, including all 28 tournament games and all 10 pre-tournament games that begin Dec. 20. TSN Radio will also provide comprehensive tournament coverage, with details to be announced at a later date.

I find this quite interesting and don't know how I feel about a Christmas Day start. However, I think they made the right call in a) putting Canada's opening game on Boxing Day (to match with tradition and get those ratings) and b) saving the big match-up on Christmas Day for the evening, so we can all settle down after dinner to watch USA vs Russia.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Woo Hoo, can't wait.

Been watching older WJ games on TSN lately, I miss it!!!!

1970 Ken Dryden Team Canada, Sweden.jpg

Reactions: Pandaman11

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Why? The WHL/OHL starting then has no bearing on Team Canada. Like every other year, teams will release their best player to play for Canada or any other team. In fact this year it makes it easier since the tournament will be over prior to the start of their seasons. Missing training camp is a less of an issue than missing a 3-4 weeks worth of games mid-season.
Those players have missed half a year of development and can't be evaluated prior to camp. Selection will be a challenge.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Switzerland's semifinal-qualification from 2019 has messed up the groups, now there'll always be one monster group and the Czechs will always finish 4th there

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Those players have missed half a year of development and can't be evaluated prior to camp. Selection will be a challenge.
With the NHL season starting so late (I doubt december like they originally hoped) you'll probably see a true best of the best tourney too though. Which really makes things interesting. If the NHL doesn't start until January, you may see guys with NHL experience, like Jack Huhges returning to play. Kappo Kakko, etc. But Lafreniere will likely play if that's the case, so will Byfield, Drysdale.

Other countries have had some strong drafts lately, but normally a true best of best favours Canada pretty heavily.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Switzerland's semifinal-qualification from 2019 has messed up the groups, now there'll always be one monster group and the Czechs will always finish 4th there
Czechs look like they get to play Russia, Sweden and the US. Then as a reward for those asskickings, they most likely get Canada in a quarter final matchup. We are in trouble!

Note: Unless they don't do quarters anymore and only top 3 advance... might save us 1 ass kicking.haha

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
This year I think they will need a longer camp. More than just a couple practices and two games versus the U Sports All-Stars. I wouldn't be surprised if they are together for an extra week or two in order to determine the roster.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
They should have made it start in early December, played it somewhere that allows fans and made the tournament longer.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
This year I think they will need a longer camp. More than just a couple practices and two games versus the U Sports All-Stars. I wouldn't be surprised if they are together for an extra week or two in order to determine the roster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Canadian/American players are at a disadvantage in this year's WJC because the Europeans in some way have played hockey, while the North Americans will be very rusty because of not playing hockey in months and months...?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Canadian/American players are at a disadvantage in this year's WJC because the Europeans in some way have played hockey, while the North Americans will be very rusty because of not playing hockey in months and months...?

But in some cases it could be like a veteran NHL players Vs amateur team (Canada : Slovakia).
That means, the quality is still there. They need one-two practice hours and could be still above some teams.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They are allowing expanded rosters

23 skaters, up from 20
A coach theoretically if he was really unimpressed with a line could take them out for game and bring in a new line depending on how they carry rosters.

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
So who’s the favourite lol

best player/mvp Dach if he actually plays, I don’t expect Laf to go.

best D Drydale or Byram

best goalie Devon Levi bold as f*** I know

gold Canada
Silver Finland
Bronze USA

Just spitting stuff out here.

even without the NHLers, this is supposed to be the best team we’ve had in a long long time.

Apocalypse Dude

"Value"
Jul 25, 2012
Nova Scotia

You're right about players from the OHL and WHL but the QMJHL has been playing games.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
every country is in this position,this years team from Canada is one of the deepest and strongest teams yet.
Pretty sure most of the European teams are mostly going to have players that have been playing this year. It is mostly a Canada and US problem. Up to them to figure it out though.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Pretty sure most of the European teams are mostly going to have players that have been playing this year. It is mostly a Canada and US problem. Up to them to figure it out though.
If we're having an early camp, Canada should be fine.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The U20 Russians looked damn good at Karlaja. I'll be shocked if Canada doesn't win this though. My Czechs are in for an awful 2 weeks and a quarterfinal asskicking from Canada.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Expand the tournament by 2 teams and start the games on Christmas Day EVERY YEAR. You could even start the tournament on Christmas Eve Day.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Expanding the World Juniors by 2 teams would mean 10 extra games. That's a LOT of extra games to fit in - assuming you want New Years Eve to be the BIG night of the Round Robin.

Maybe it's NOT doable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad