Salary Cap: The 2021 expansion draft & cap strategy

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
sorry. Im a little bored from a lack of “hockeying” going on. I put this strategy together to get keep the expansion draft impact minimal. Allowing us to keep our first round pick while not exposing a major talent

Expansion draft strategy:
Offense protected: Svech, Aho, Turbo, Staal
Exposed: Nino, FAs, and older checkers
Exempt: Necas, 2018, 2019, & 2020 draftees

How we get there:
Sign McGinn to a 2 year deal to make him a UFA
Allow Foegele and Wallmark to go to arbitration next year making them UFAs after the 2020-21 seasons
Trade for Gusev or sign Ferland to a two year deal leading him to be a UFA before the expansion draft

Defense protected: Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, Bean/Fleury
Exposed: Bean/Fleury
Exempt: Sellgren

How we get there:
Hamilton will be a UFA

Goalie protected: Ned (RFA)
Exposed: Helvig & Booth

How we get there:
Both NHL goalies will be UFAs before the draft, not requiring exposure or protection

Team for cap purposes
Svech, Aho, Turbo, Staal, Necas, Nino (maybe)
Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, Bean/Fleury
Ned

Assumed additional roster players
O-Geekie & Gauthier
D- Sellgren
G- Kochetkov?

So we need 4 forwards, 1 defender, and potentially a backup.
On offense we would need a 2 fourth liners, 1 top 6 and 1 top 9 winger. We would have the options of any of our UFAs (Wallmark, McGinn, Foegele, and Gusev/Ferland), our recent draftees and other UFAs.
Defense: we need one the one young defenders is taken. Veteran righty in UFA, maybe. Hamilton will probably be too expensive to keep if Faulk is re-signed.

We have 35 million in hit. I would expect the two ELCs and the 4 needs on offense will cost around 18 million.
Faulk, Bean/Faulk on another contract, Sellgren’s ELC, and a veterans RHD would cost 13 million
Goalies will be 6 million.
That leaves us at 72 million. The big wild card would be Svech. He could be 8-10 million. 80-82 million. Need room for Necas the following year. Also why I don’t see us offer sheeting a Canadien unless we ask for Nino to be taken and Kotkaniemi absorbs the expected top 6 money too.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
1. don't lose good players

2. do lose bad players

that's my two-pronged strategy. I think it's a good one
Confirm. As kids, in the sandbox, we would fill the bucket and then tip it upside-down and bang the bucked bottom with our tiny sand shovel chanting "come good cake don't come bad cake!", and most of time it worked.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I am depressed on the idea of protecting Staal, but then I look at the other forwards who might not need to be protected over him and I get even more depressed. But I guess this can be a blessing and a curse depending how it plays out.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I am depressed on the idea of protecting Staal, but then I look at the other forwards who might not need to be protected over him and I get even more depressed. But I guess this can be a blessing and a curse depending how it plays out.
Why is this exactly? Staal is great at what he does.

For the last 6 years what he isn’t good at the rest of the team isn’t either. As the rest of the team shifts with Aho, Turbo, Svech, and Necas, a guy like Staal will become more appreciated with his ability to keep the game in check. Allowing the core offensive players to maximize matchups and increase scoring chances.

Staal shutdowns so well that we can play a more offensive gifted player at 4C if needed.

I was hard on Staal for a while because he was our 1C. Our scoring was low and you couldn’t count on him to get a goal. It was unfair though because, the team put him in a 1C spot when he isn’t a 1C.

I think we will all have more appreciation for him over the last 4 years of his deal.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

That NMC is not on anybody except Jim Rutherford. Staal's a very good player, so it's not too bad to have to protect him (unless Staal waives it). However, it's Jim Rutherford that thought it was a good idea to just give out a 10 year contract with NMCs back when the team was actually cash-poor. Hence why he's now hamstringing Pittsburgh in the back-end of Crosby and Malkin's primes.

Reactions: Unsustainable

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Didn't Francis trade a pick to Vegas in promise they would take a prospect? I'd say just do that again if need be.

But I guess what you have proposed is fine too.

Don’t think it will be as easy this expansion draft for us. Our best available player during the Vegas draft was Lee Stempniak. There’s going to be a lot better talent exposed from the Canes this go around unfortunately.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Don’t think it will be as easy this expansion draft for us. Our best available player during the Vegas draft was Lee Stempniak. There’s going to be a lot better talent exposed from the Canes this go around unfortunately.
We only lose one. And we will have picks we can use to make that one less painful.

Reactions: Unsustainable

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Still way too early to care, but I'm betting the best strategy will be to protect the best you can and just accept you'll lose a decent player. Not that big of a deal, and if you're lucky you'll end up losing a marginal player that Seattle really likes for whatever reason. Happened plenty in the Vegas draft.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad