Prospect Info: The 2021 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Which Player Is The Most Interesting Thus Far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
With the U-18s over (congrats, Canada!), can anyone who watched the tournament name any standouts that might be available when the Avs pick?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
With the U-18s over (congrats, Canada!), can anyone who watched the tournament name any standouts that might be available when the Avs pick?
Othmann/L'Heureax/Rosen/Chibrikov/Robertsson/Svechkov are our range forwards I'm liking. Roulette and Pastujov are 2 other options I don't mind. Tbh though trade all the picks and other assets to get up to 12ish for Wallstedt/Cossa.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Othmann/L'Heureax/Rosen/Chibrikov/Robertsson/Svechkov are our range forwards I'm liking. Roulette and Pastujov are 2 other options I don't mind. Tbh though trade all the picks and other assets to get up to 12ish for Wallstedt/Cossa.
I know that Mackenzie had Cossa in his top 15, but is that the general consensus now among other scouts as well? Most rankings had him ranked in the late 1st or early/mid 2nd until that Mackenzie ranking came out.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I know that Mackenzie had Cossa in his top 15, but is that the general consensus now among other scouts as well? Most rankings had him ranked in the late 1st or early/mid 2nd until that Mackenzie ranking came out.
Bobs list is the only one that really matters because it's the actual scouts but mckeens has him 15 and HP 7. Since bobs list came out expect Cossa to magically rise on everyone elses updated rankings though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd love for the Avs to move up to get a goalie, but I don't see it happening. They'll probably just grab their highest ranked goalie with the 3rd round pick... or if they recover a 4th/5th, they'll use that.

Samoskevich is really the guy I want in the first. On pure talent level offensively, he's a top 10 guy.. maybe top 5. His hand are arguably the best in this draft and he shows a knack for knowing exactly how long to hold the puck. He's an incredibly accurate passer. His wrist shot is hard, accurate, with a solid release... plus he can shoot on his off foot with power leaving him unpredictable. His frame is just okay and he's likely to end up on wing full time as he doesn't display the best defense. He's a pretty damn good skater with a lot of high end pieces to it, not sure there is a ton more upside in his stride... but he'll at least be good in the NHL in this area. But he's got legit 65-70+ scoring potential. He reminds me of a little bit smaller Kyle Connor with better pacing to his game at the same age. He's going to fall in their weird year, but be a guy that teams wish they didn't pass on.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hell would freeze over when Avs trade up to draft a goaler, even though I actually like that plan very much. Hepple even admitted to the public he’s not a goaler guy.

My personal favourite is McTavish, but I doubt we’d be able to get him. I have no problem with trading down to the second round getting a 2nd+3rd and target some of the OHL lads.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hell would freeze over when Avs trade up to draft a goaler, even though I actually like that plan very much. Hepple even admitted to the public he’s not a goaler guy.

My personal favourite is McTavish, but I doubt we’d be able to get him. I have no problem with trading down to the second round getting a 2nd+3rd and target some of the OHL lads.

After his performance at U18s, zero chance he slides outside the top 15.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Appreciate the reply. I haven't watched much in the way of junior hockey this past year, so I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to this draft. I do like the idea of the Avs drafting a really high-end goalie prospect, though. I can't remember the last time they did that, if ever. And with Annunen struggling in Liiga this past year, it continues to be the biggest hole in our prospect pool.

I'd love for the Avs to move up to get a goalie, but I don't see it happening. They'll probably just grab their highest ranked goalie with the 3rd round pick... or if they recover a 4th/5th, they'll use that.

Samoskevich is really the guy I want in the first. On pure talent level offensively, he's a top 10 guy.. maybe top 5. His hand are arguably the best in this draft and he shows a knack for knowing exactly how long to hold the puck. He's an incredibly accurate passer. His wrist shot is hard, accurate, with a solid release... plus he can shoot on his off foot with power leaving him unpredictable. His frame is just okay and he's likely to end up on wing full time as he doesn't display the best defense. He's a pretty damn good skater with a lot of high end pieces to it, not sure there is a ton more upside in his stride... but he'll at least be good in the NHL in this area. But he's got legit 65-70+ scoring potential. He reminds me of a little bit smaller Kyle Connor with better pacing to his game at the same age. He's going to fall in their weird year, but be a guy that teams wish they didn't pass on.

Name is Matthew but goes by Mackie. As a Matt, I'm not sure how on board I could get with him, although you make him sound like the type of player the Avs like when it comes to the draft: good skater, good possession instincts, plays at a high pace. If he can improve upon his defense he'd fit right in.

What do you like about McTavish? I only caught the 3rd period last night but he gave the Russian team some good opportunities to tie the game with his bad penalties late in the game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Appreciate the reply. I haven't watched much in the way of junior hockey this past year, so I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to this draft. I do like the idea of the Avs drafting a really high-end goalie prospect, though. I can't remember the last time they did that, if ever. And with Annunen struggling in Liiga this past year, it continues to be the biggest hole in our prospect pool.

Name is Matthew but goes by Mackie. As a Matt, I'm not sure how on board I could get with him, although you make him sound like the type of player the Avs like when it comes to the draft: good skater, good possession instincts, plays at a high pace. If he can improve upon his defense he'd fit right in.

What do you like about McTavish? I only caught the 3rd period last night but he gave the Russian team some good opportunities to tie the game with his bad penalties late in the game.

There's a story to that... his twin sister couldn't say Matty and the nickname just stuck. His older sister was one of the best U18 US women's players I've seen (to be fair don't watch a ton) and will be a fixture on the US Olympic teams for years.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
USHL is probably what they’d be comfortable with this year so sounds like an option.

Even in this weird year I don’t see teams having an appetite for two goalies taken early in the first but we’ll see.

I’m glad sorting out McTavish isn’t going to be my problem lol, there’s something off putting about him but he’ll certainly be gone by Avs pick.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
There's a story to that... his twin sister couldn't say Matty and the nickname just stuck. His older sister was one of the best U18 US women's players I've seen (to be fair don't watch a ton) and will be a fixture on the US Olympic teams for years.
Alright, fine, MAYBE I can forgive him if it's a name he got in his youth. He'd need to be drafted by the Avs and develop into the 65-70+ points scoring forward you think he can be for me to let it go entirely, though :D

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Alright, fine, MAYBE I can forgive him if it's a name he got in his youth. He'd need to be drafted by the Avs and develop into the 65-70+ points scoring forward you think he can be for me to let it go entirely, though :D

What if he ends up in Minny or Detroit and does it? :sarcasm:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
High-energy forward who has a good around game and solid skating ability, but really impacts on the scoreboard. Loves to shoot the puck and has a ripping shot. Though he also suffers from some immaturity issues at times physically (which can lead to some stupid penalties). I also think he suffers from not being able to generate offence for others compared to making things happen for himself. In a sense he is very Kadri-like, both in terms of strengths and weaknesses. If he doesn't develop well, I see him more along the lines of having a Debrusk type of impact.

Reactions: Papa Francouz

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
High-energy forward who has a good around game and solid skating ability, but really impacts on the scoreboard. Loves to shoot the puck and has a ripping shot. Though he also suffers from some immaturity issues at times physically (which can lead to some stupid penalties). I also think he suffers from not being able to generate offence for others compared to making things happen for himself. In a sense he is very Kadri-like, both in terms of strengths and weaknesses. If he doesn't develop well, I see him more along the lines of having a Debrusk type of impact.
I'd definitely take him as a second line offensive option on the Avs if he ends up like DeBrusk (current season excluded). However, since there's zero chance he'll be available for the Avs, who would you say is the best playmaking forward that could be available in the 25-31 range?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'd definitely take him as a second line offensive option on the Avs if he ends up like DeBrusk (current season excluded). However, since there's zero chance he'll be available for the Avs, who would you say is the best playmaking forward that could be available in the 25-31 range?
Hmmmm, I wouldn't say we need playmakers since Avs do have Newhook and he's as good of a playmaker than a scorer. However, to answer your question I like the shout from @henchman24 for Samoskevich. Othmann is another one, but I am not the biggest fan of him. You also have Pastujov, but I don't think he'll fit our system if Sakic sees Bednar as a long-term answer. Nonetheless, I am always down for Rosen, Chibrikov, and L'Heureux as well. Coronato is the most interesting name, had an insane season in the USHL, but only ranked 21st on McKenzie's list. You can also trade back into the 2nd round and get Korczak and Knies as well. I quite like what Korczak brings to the table, would fit quite well in Bednar's gameplan.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

So first we grabbed JT Compher to have a connection to Better Compher Jesse, then we draft Alex Newhook whose sister Abby Newhook is highly thought of and could be one of the next Team Canada regulars, and now we could add Mackie Samoskevich along with his two talented sisters....we sure Kroenke or Sakic isn't building a future WNHL team? haha

Reactions: henchman21

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Hmmmm, I wouldn't say we need playmakers since Avs do have Newhook and he's as good of a playmaker than a scorer. However, to answer your question I like the shout from @henchman24 for Samoskevich. Othmann is another one, but I am not the biggest fan of him. You also have Pastujov, but I don't think he'll fit our system if Sakic sees Bednar as a long-term answer. Nonetheless, I am always down for Rosen, Chibrikov, and L'Heureux as well. Coronato is the most interesting name, had an insane season in the USHL, but only ranked 21st on McKenzie's list. You can also trade back into the 2nd round and get Korczak and Knies as well. I quite like what Korczak brings to the table, would fit quite well in Bednar's gameplan.
Maybe I’m not thinking long-term here, but it seems like the Avs have a lot of two-way guys and shooters on the current roster and in the system, hence my interest in playmakers. I’ve heard of L’Heureux and his pest/dirty ways, and I’d be lying if his combination of those aspects and his offense don’t intrigue me. Plus there’s the Mooseheads connection, and the Avs love going back to that well during the draft.

Appreciate the names, though, @S E P H! I’ll look into these guys a bit more when I find the time to do so.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Maybe I’m not thinking long-term here, but it seems like the Avs have a lot of two-way guys and shooters on the current roster and in the system, hence my interest in playmakers. I’ve heard of L’Heureux and his pest/dirty ways, and I’d be lying if his combination of those aspects and his offense don’t intrigue me. Plus there’s the Mooseheads connection, and the Avs love going back to that well during the draft.

Appreciate the names, though, @S E P H! I’ll look into these guys a bit more when I find the time to do so.

You’re dead on right in your thinking. Pastujov is a name that comes up a lot with playmaking skills. There might be a couple of Swedes too, even though the Avs dont draft Euros unless they’re willing to come and play in NA before the NHL.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
You’re dead on right in your thinking. Pastujov is a name that comes up a lot with playmaking skills. There might be a couple of Swedes too, even though the Avs dont draft Euros unless they’re willing to come and play in NA before the NHL.
I'm always down to draft a Euro. They're almost always taken a few spots later than they should've been in hindsight, and I've come to trust the Avs' Euro scouts more than their NA scouts. One of Wallstedt or Cossa would be at the top of my list, but there's zero chance of them falling to the late first and I would be shocked if Sakic traded up for one of them.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm always down to draft a Euro. They're almost always taken a few spots later than they should've been in hindsight, and I've come to trust the Avs' Euro scouts more than their NA scouts. One of Wallstedt or Cossa would be at the top of my list, but there's zero chance of them falling to the late first and I would be shocked if Sakic traded up for one of them.
I think the Euros will drop even more this year with the lack of scouting with the pandemic.

I figure the ‘22 draft will have an abundance of overagers from Europe and the OHL.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I think the Euros will drop even more this year with the lack of scouting with the pandemic.

I figure the ‘22 draft will have an abundance of overagers from Europe and the OHL.
Yeah, a bunch of small overagers, maybe. Mark my words - all the eligible big boys will be taken this year, and the Avs' cubbard will remain bare of Gustav Olhaver types :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad