News Article: The 2021-2022 Minnesota Wild Prospect Pyramid

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
That looks pretty good to me. There are those that are going to rank Boldy higher than Rossi (I personally, respectfully, disagree) and I think addison/lambos/ROR could be interchanged depending on what one values.. but the rest of the pyramid looks legit.

Reactions: Frederik95

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why isn't Wallstedt in tier one? Based on your criteria and evaluation, he should be, and you even mention you debated it, why did he end up in tier two?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boldy is a better prospect than Rossi, to me.

Agree with @Soldier13Fox that Addison should be on the same tier as Lambos and ROR. I have some serious doubts that Addison can defend at the NHL level.

Think that Khovanov has a lot to prove, and should be down a tier till he does.

Nesterenko might move up a tier, McBain down one. Other than that, looks ok. :dunno:

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Not bad. Should also do a Propect depth chart? although that sould be in the prospect thread.

Boldy-Rossi-Beckman
Khusnt-Kovanov-Giroux
Dewar-Bankier-Firstov

Lambos-Addison
O'Rourke-Peart
Hunt-F Johansson
Warren

Wallstedt
Jones

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
That looks pretty good to me. There are those that are going to rank Boldy higher than Rossi (I personally, respectfully, disagree) and I think addison/lambos/ROR could be interchanged depending on what one values.. but the rest of the pyramid looks legit.
Thank you. Boldy is a player many understandably love and are super high on for all the right reasons. I think he is one of the safest picks to become a top 6 forward with great production and minutes in the NHL amoung all prospects around. I think thats why a lot rate him higher and i seen a few say he should be up in tier 1 as well without its being illogical reasoning at all. Rossi has a higher ceiling and for me is a player that imo is able to become our Nathan MacKinnon. He is a top 10 prospect in the league, but with the Covid riddled year he had last season, he is more of a risk than a year ago.

Why isn't Wallstedt in tier one? Based on your criteria and evaluation, he should be, and you even mention you debated it, why did he end up in tier two?
My biggest regret after the article went up was not to go with my guts and put Wallstedt in tier one. Like you said he meets all the requirements for a tier-one player and I argue for it and I think I changed his position 30 times while making the list. The logic that I had and slightly have was due to him needing to become a full-time starter in the SHL and play another year at that level he showed last season. At the same time, I was worried that I am too high on him and that my Wild bias would show in the article and devalue it a tiny bit, which probably had the reverse effect and I ended up undervaluing him in the article.

Boldy is a better prospect than Rossi, to me.

Agree with @Soldier13Fox that Addison should be on the same tier as Lambos and ROR. I have some serious doubts that Addison can defend at the NHL level.

Think that Khovanov has a lot to prove, and should be down a tier till he does.

Nesterenko might move up a tier, McBain down one. Other than that, looks ok. :dunno:

Great feedback and i see the points. For me Khovanov has a year where he needs to prove that he can make the NHL and reach his potential. This year will say a lot about him but his potential is high but its now about if he can reach it.

Addisons defending will be tested this year in the NHL, but i will say his offensive abilities looks superb even at the NHL level, so with the right coaching and if he can be put with a player with a more defensive mindset i could see him work wonders for us. But he was on the brink of three and both him and Marat changed positions a few times doing it. However as you said both Lambos and ROR have the ability to become what he is and the only reason i dont rate them similar is that i need them to have a less covid hit year to evaluate them fully.

Not bad. Should also do a Propect depth chart? although that sould be in the prospect thread.

Boldy-Rossi-Beckman
Khusnt-Kovanov-Giroux
Dewar-Bankier-Firstov

Lambos-Addison
O'Rourke-Peart
Hunt-F Johansson
Warren

Wallstedt
Jones
An interesting idea, and honestly one i have never really heard or thought of making but it would be worth looking into it making one for sure. And probably true and this probably should have been in the prospect thread as well but fully forgot to do so :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
I agree with others who suggest Boldy and Wallstedt are 1st tier. IMO Lambos joins Addison as a tier 2 with Marat K. fast approaching it. Enjoyed the pyramid!

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

Agreed and I'm not sure what would keep Khusnutdinov out of tier 2 as he's pretty clearly developed well since the 2020 draft. Imo

Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I have Boldy ahead of Rossi too. He has earned the benefit of the doubt. He has been really effective at NCAA, WJC & AHL. No reason to believe NHL will be different with his skillset. Rossi has more question marks.

Boldy, Wallstedt, Rossi
Marat, Lambos, Addison
O'Rourke, Beckman
Peart, Khovanov

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Huh. I actually would say the Wild don't have anyone at 1st tier. Rossi should be downgraded, rather than Boldy and Wallstedt being upgraded. I like Rossi and think he's got #1 center upside, but he's far from a "Matthews" level prospect. He hasn't appeared to be a potential "top 5 at his position in the NHL" player. We'd have to believe he can beat out one of McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Barkov, and Crosby. Behind them I'd list Aho, Scheifele, Bergeron, O'Reilly, etc. in no particular order. I like the kid a lot, but I think his upside is that second tier, not the first tier.

*edit* Wow, I forgot to mention Draisaitl somehow. Add one more to that 1st tier, so he has to beat 2 of them.

Last edited:

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
I agree with others who suggest Boldy and Wallstedt are 1st tier. IMO Lambos joins Addison as a tier 2 with Marat K. fast approaching it. Enjoyed the pyramid!
Lambos is a player that I felt I needed a non covid year to put that high. He has talent and I do hope he is as good as I think he is going to be this season because if so, he will be moved up. Same with Marat, who seems to have been lights out from the start of the new KHL season.

Agreed and I'm not sure what would keep Khusnutdinov out of tier 2 as he's pretty clearly developed well since the 2020 draft. Imo
The reason Marat is in three and not two was that i felt that while he got a good amount of KHL games last season, he needed a bit more production before i could confidently say he was a tier two talent. He was on the brink of it and had i factored in his start to this season and how strong he has looked, i probably would have had him in it.

I have Boldy ahead of Rossi too. He has earned the benefit of the doubt. He has been really effective at NCAA, WJC & AHL. No reason to believe NHL will be different with his skillset. Rossi has more question marks.

Boldy, Wallstedt, Rossi
Marat, Lambos, Addison
O'Rourke, Beckman
Peart, Khovanov
Boldy is the safest top 6 NHL players out of pretty much any prospect in this league. He will be sick for us and there are no reason to believe he wont make the opening night roster this season on the top 6. Rossi, Wallstedt and Boldy are extremely close to each other in terms of quality and its honestly hard to pick and choose since you can make a case for all three in tier one and tier two.
The reason i went for Rossi as a better prospect is while he has questionmarks around him, his potential is that of Marner, Aho and Barkov.

Huh. I actually would say the Wild don't have anyone at 1st tier. Rossi should be downgraded, rather than Boldy and Wallstedt being upgraded. I like Rossi and think he's got #1 center upside, but he's far from a "Matthews" level prospect. He hasn't appeared to be a potential "top 5 at his position in the NHL" player. We'd have to believe he can beat out one of McDavid, MacKinnon, Matthews, Barkov, and Crosby. Behind them I'd list Aho, Scheifele, Bergeron, O'Reilly, etc. in no particular order. I like the kid a lot, but I think his upside is that second tier, not the first tier.

*edit* Wow, I forgot to mention Draisaitl somehow. Add one more to that 1st tier, so he has to beat 2 of them.
Good arguement and i do see that, but i really rate Rossi a lot (probably wayyyyyy too much i will admit), and i honestly think he can reach the level of a Barkov and Aho. Will he be as good as McDavid, Matthews and MacKinnon. No, but i do see him being as good as the guys below those three players in the future.
However having Rossi in tier two is valid. Regardless he is still going to be sick for the Wild and im so looking forward to seeing him and Boldy in camp this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just don't see elite(top 15 C) potential in Rossi. I will be very happy if he is a top 20C, happy if he isn a top 25, and satisfied if he is a top 35. After that I will be a bit disappointed.

I don't see any elite skill(s) that will translate to the NHL. His skating looks decent, but not much above average, his defense looks ok, but is he a ROR, Bergeron, Barkov, Kopitar, Couterier? Passing and vision is good, but he is no Crosby, Backstrom, Malkin, Tavares. Puck handling is good, but no McD, Barzal, Malkin, Crosby, Eichel. Physicality at the NHL level will be average at best.

He has nowhere near the physical attributes that Barkov has.

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
I just don't see elite(top 15 C) potential in Rossi. I will be very happy if he is a top 20C, happy if he isn a top 25, and satisfied if he is a top 35. After that I will be a bit disappointed.

I don't see any elite skill(s) that will translate to the NHL. His skating looks decent, but not much above average, his defense looks ok, but is he a ROR, Bergeron, Barkov, Kopitar, Couterier? Passing and vision is good, but he is no Crosby, Backstrom, Malkin, Tavares. Puck handling is good, but no McD, Barzal, Malkin, Crosby, Eichel. Physicality at the NHL level will be average at best.

Frank assessment! And IMO, a fair one. Although, I hold out hope that he can be at least an excellent 2C, based on his edge work, hands, vision and obsessive work ethic.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I know I just threw water on the fire above, but to be fair to Rossi, Kaprizov at Rossi's age didn't have any of those skills either. It wouldn't shock me to see Rossi follow the path of Kaprizov, given their similarities (physical build, level of competitiveness on both ends of the rink, good IQ, overblown skating concerns, puck skill and underrated shots).

But I also don't think anyone should try to say "Yeah, but look at Kaprizov" or other similar long-shots as proof of another prospect's upside, thanks their very nature as long-shots.

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019

To me its the fact he really doesnt have any areas of his game that at the least average. Everything aspect of his game is NHL level and thats rare imo. Even with a limited size he is stronger than most and is willing to work harder than most i seen. Also his passing and vision on top of his shot for me is stand out. Kid can find ways to create offense from both his own shot and skating but also with pinpoint passes. For me its up there with Backstrom for sure. The point of him not being top 5 in anything is super valid and one i wasnt considering, but i do think he is a center you can build youre team around on the top line and have him produce point a game seasons regually. For me Rossi is kinda close to a compleate player, and regardless i will take it if he becomes a tier two player as well. Both versions of Rossi is siccccck!

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
To me its the fact he really doesnt have any areas of his game that at the least average. Everything aspect of his game is NHL level and thats rare imo. Even with a limited size he is stronger than most and is willing to work harder than most i seen. Also his passing and vision on top of his shot for me is stand out. Kid can find ways to create offense from both his own shot and skating but also with pinpoint passes. For me its up there with Backstrom for sure. The point of him not being top 5 in anything is super valid and one i wasnt considering, but i do think he is a center you can build youre team around on the top line and have him produce point a game seasons regually. For me Rossi is kinda close to a compleate player, and regardless i will take it if he becomes a tier two player as well. Both versions of Rossi is siccccck!
I have seen zero evidence that he is strong at the NHL level, or even average. His skating looks to be nice, but averagey. Certainly not a guy who will be putting defenders on their heels with his speed. I don't see a great NHL passer, or a great shot. Most guys(not all) who make it in the NHL have a great work ethic, but I'll give him that he might be above average there. I can only hope that his intangibles(hockey sense, competitiveness) are well above average(Gaudreau?), but that is often hard to determine till he plays up.

Backstrom would be a lofty comparison. He is 4" taller, with reach to match, and is a brilliant passer and thinker of the game.

Frederik95

Oct 19, 2019
I have seen zero evidence that he is strong at the NHL level, or even average. His skating looks to be nice, but averagey. Certainly not a guy who will be putting defenders on their heels with his speed. I don't see a great NHL passer, or a great shot. Most guys(not all) who make it in the NHL have a great work ethic, but I'll give him that he might be above average there. I can only hope that his intangibles(hockey sense, competitiveness) are well above average(Gaudreau?), but that is often hard to determine till he plays up.

Backstrom would be a lofty comparison. He is 4" taller, with reach to match, and is a brilliant passer and thinker of the game.
I think what Rossi did in the juniors and even in the few games i saw in the olympics qualifying round sets him up to have a lofty comparison. He didnt look like he had lost his step due to covid which i feared and in Juniors he dominated quite a lot for Ottawa. I think Backstrom is a good one to compare him to, even with a smaller frame, but since the game is getting faster and smaller i think it will suit Rossi in the future. But it is true that you never quite know with prospects and how they transition to the league but he is one i have a ton of faith in. Probably too much and i will give you that, but when judging prospects it really is subjective to what skillsets you value. Rossi ticks a lot of my boxes, but it is also very much likely that he will turn into a top 6 player with is great but not elite and that i would be okay with. Especially if Boldy or/and Wallstedt takes his tier one spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad