GDT: The 2020 TDL Challenge Thread - stay the course or buy the horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What do you do in 2.5 years when Mika's contract runs out? No way you can re-sign him for his worth now given the new cap restraints from the Kreider deal. The problem with this deal is the cascading affect it will have on future signing decisions. Do the math.

7 years/$63M for Mika coming soon. He is eligible to sign an extension on July 1,2021.

Reactions: kovazub94

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
In fairness, I think you're being generous with at least three of those contracts (Lemieux, Fast, Strome, and ADA's might be the floor).

So that could be a total of $3million more than what you have listed, on top of the $4-5 million you want to shed. So now you're looking at $7 or-$8 million, and that's without getting any contracts back --- which makes actual upgrading a very real challenge.

Because now you're moving that money, not to actually shore up positions, but primarily because you need the cash. So that's going to be a very real challenge, with very real consequences.

Lundqvist retires duh! Lol

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Checking in here. What a day! Emotional to say the least.

If we werent going to get a big time prospect back for Kreider I've been on record as saying F it just sign him. Now no one gets him. I'd rather have Kreider than Jost, and I'm not a fan of the 7 years.

But saying that, other moves are going to be made. They need to be. There are going to be guys moved here that the "sign Kreider" crowd won't want to make that will have to be made. And god help him if he doesn't repeat this same performance next season.

Anyway, to the draft, because this season is cooked!

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I still dont see a problem with cap. Assuming the cap is 83.5
ADA 4/5x5M
Strome 2x4M
Lemieux $1M
Fast 2.5M
Georgiev 2M
14M...

We need to find a way to shed $3M... 4-5M to be comfortable... We have 7.5M in dead cap money.

Skjei, Smith, Staal, HL and Buch need to be moved/cleared.

THIS IS NOT THE APOCALYPSE

It was never the immediate maneuvers that made this an issue- although it will take some clever tinkering to keep everyone.

It's the impact of this cap hit 3-4 years down the line, when players like Zibanejad, Kakko, Fox, ect are coming up for long term extensions that it's more of a concern.

But no, it was never going to be the apocalypse if we re-signed Kreider. It's just a strategic misstep in my eyes.

Reactions: Midikem

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Barring the trade of an RFA for cap purposes, I don't think we'll really feel bad about that Kreider number until years 5-7

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I'm sure in 2022 we will have another lockout that will change the cap to a luxury tax system. Go over the luxury "cap" and your profits get distributed to salary floor teams.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Oh, so piece of cake.

I feel like I'd like to buy a house with some HF financial planning.

Applying for my mortgage would be fantastic.

"I'd like to take out a loan for $500k, please."

"Sure, what's your salary and debt situation."

"Oh no, don't worry about that. I'm fine if I can sell my current house, maybe a vehicle, and disown one of my kids. If not, no worries. I'll be fine so long as I can double my salary. Then it's smooth sailing."

"I'm sorry, I think you lost me. You want a 30 year housing loan?"

"Oh yeah, it's easy. I figure 30 years is plenty of time to work something out. I mean for Chrissakes, 30 years is like 2050! f*** it, I might be dead by then."

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Checking in here. What a day! Emotional to say the least.

If we werent going to get a big time prospect back for Kreider I've been on record as saying F it just sign him. Now no one gets him. I'd rather have Kreider than Jost, and I'm not a fan of the 7 years.

But saying that, other moves are going to be made. They need to be. There are going to be guys moved here that the "sign Kreider" crowd won't want to make that will have to be made. And god help him if he doesn't repeat this same performance next season.

Anyway, to the draft, because this season is cooked!

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I feel like I'd like to buy a house with some HF financial planning.

Applying for my mortgage would be fantastic.

"I'd like to take out a loan for $500k, please."

"Sure, what's your salary and debt situation."

"Oh no, don't worry about that. I'm fine if I can sell my current house, maybe a vehicle, and disown one of my kids. If not, no worries. I'll be fine so long as I can double my salary. Then it's smooth sailing."

"I'm sorry, I think you lost me. You want a 30 year housing loan?"

"Oh yeah, it's easy. I figure 30 years is plenty of time to work something out. I mean for Chrissakes, 30 years is like 2050! f*ck it, I might be dead by then."

and they wonder why the mortgage crisis occurred and history would repeat itself if banks had their way.

hey, here is a million dollar mortgage and you only pay the interest!!!!! Want two? Refi and you can have three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->