GDT: The 2020 TDL Challenge Thread - stay the course or buy the horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I still dont see a problem with cap. Assuming the cap is 83.5
ADA 4/5x5M
Strome 2x4M
Lemieux $1M
Fast 2.5M
Georgiev 2M
14M...

We need to find a way to shed $3M... 4-5M to be comfortable... We have 7.5M in dead cap money.

Skjei, Smith, Staal, HL and Buch need to be moved/cleared.

THIS IS NOT THE APOCALYPSE

Dirk Kuyt

Feb 7, 2018
NJ
I see a lot of people that are upset with the extension but I’m happy with this deal. It gets to a point where you have to keep certain guys. You cant play a team full kids and expect to be successful.

Out of all of the guys we’ve moved the past few seasons, I think Kreiders absence would have been by far the most noticeable. I think both sides budged, and in the end I think he really wanted to stay here. He’s the de facto captain (Can argue Zibby as well) and you can see the positive impact he’s had on the young guys. If the contact is an issue in year 6 or 7 there are ways to figure that out. But I believe the next few seasons when we’re looking to compete and then contend, having him around makes us a better team as opposed to whatever we would have received in a trade.

Reactions: eco's bones

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If you crunch numbers, they can make it work next year if they buy-out Staal, let Fast walk, and trade one of Strome or Buch. Buying out Hank might even let them bring Strome/Buch back for a year or two. The RW depth is suspect if we're losing Fast and Buch, but the C depth has been a question mark for years.

Does it make them better? No. Like you said, they lose the majority of the depth unless they're getting it through trade or FA, or unless someone really steps up in Hartford. I'm also not at all convinced by Howden.

Lundqvist and Smith walk and $9m in dead cap space from buyouts frees up for 2021-2022. If Lundkvist or Miller are ready or Lias wants to take another run at it, then there might be options. But, again...losing that depth.

Lots of ifs here.

Right and that's the big issue. Making the money work is not that difficult. It's making the money work while still actually improving it.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Not sure how things work in the US, but where I come from, disclosing patient information without their consent is punishable by up to 3 years of hard time...

Not sure about prison time but my brother used to be upper management at a trauma center. George Harrison was getting treatment there and there was a standing order that if you released anything you would be immediately terminated.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
This is ok with me only if we win a stanley cup while his contract looks good. Also he better keep playing the way he has the last two months.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
This is ok with me only if we win a stanley cup while his contract looks good. Also he better keep playing the way he has the last two months.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Could still move Hank, pick up that Aeyer's guy on the cheap that filled in for Carolina the other night against Toronto. #wewantthecup

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I wanted Kreider traded, want nothing to do with a 7 year deal. But these "same old Rangers" takes are the worst. The Rangers committed to trading off assets two seasons ago when they were 3 points out of a playoff spot. And committed hard to it for the next two seasons. Are there any parallels in league history?
It’s a lazy narrative. And after having to hear the Andy Reid narrative for years, I don’t want to move on to hearing another one repeated as nauseam

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Not sure about prison time but my brother used to be upper management at a trauma center. George Harrison was getting treatment there and there was a standing order that if you released anything you would be immediately terminated.
Good to here they still terminate people. I thought things were getting a bit soft. Expect a smaller trade coming

Reactions: FultonReed

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I see a lot of people that are upset with the extension but I’m happy with this deal. It gets to a point where you have to keep certain guys. You cant play a team full kids and expect to be successful.

Out of all of the guys we’ve moved the past few seasons, I think Kreiders absence would have been by far the most noticeable. I think both sides budged, and in the end I think he really wanted to stay here. He’s the de facto captain (Can argue Zibby as well) and you can see the positive impact he’s had on the young guys. If the contact is an issue in year 6 or 7 there are ways to figure that out. But I believe the next few seasons when we’re looking to compete and then contend, having him around makes us a better team as opposed to whatever we would have received in a trade.

With or without Kreider...we weren't.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
Just remember "almost" comes with a cost.

And waiting for youngsters to mature, comes with a time commitment.

I just worry that everyone thinks we're going to go out and upgrade our LD without a significant cost (including salary), and that some of our youngsters are going to be easily replacing some of the offense that we might be a little too eager to move.
True. The problem is that we are making conclusions with minimum information. Meaning, we have no clue as to what was or wasn’t offered. Obvious statement? Probably, it’s just why I can’t prematurely react positive or negatively yet. Just sit on it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
ADA 4/5x5M
Strome 2x4M
Lemieux $1M
Fast 2.5M
Georgiev 2M
14M...

We need to find a way to shed $3M... 4-5M to be comfortable... We have 7.5M in dead cap money.

ADA, Strome and Lemieux’s will cost more than what you just posted.

We have to essentially move Skjei and probably Buch now to try and make this work.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
ADA 4/5x5M
Strome 2x4M
Lemieux $1M
Fast 2.5M
Georgiev 2M
14M...

In fairness, I think you're being generous with at least three of those contracts (Lemieux, Fast, Strome, and ADA's might be the floor).

So that could be a total of $3million more than what you have listed, on top of the $4-5 million you want to shed. So now you're looking at $7 or-$8 million, and that's without getting any contracts back --- which makes actual upgrading a very real challenge.

Because now you're moving that money, not to actually shore up positions, but primarily because you need the cash. So that's going to be a very real challenge, with very real consequences.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Kreider is 28. Won’t be 29 till the end of April. Jesus acting like we gave a 35 year old a 7 year deal

this guy fits our window perfectly. You’re best player Mika has major chemistry with him. You tie them together. The guy is a freak athlete. 28 he’s probably coming into his prime. Worry about year 7 in year 7 my god lol
What do you do in 2.5 years when Mika's contract runs out? No way you can re-sign him for his worth now given the new cap restraints from the Kreider deal. The problem with this deal is the cascading affect it will have on future signing decisions. Do the math.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
ADA 4/5x5M
Strome 2x4M
Lemieux $1M
Fast 2.5M
Georgiev 2M
14M...

ADA, Strome and Lemieux’s will cost more than what you just posted.

We have to essentially move Skjei and probably Buch now to try and make this work.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Do you really expect him to? The guy has been inconsistent and take weeks off his entire 8 year career...all of sudden contract year comes around and he magically starts playing his best hockey of his career? C'on

Reactions: NYSPORTS

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Good to here they still terminate people. I thought things were getting a bit soft. Expect a smaller trade coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->