GDT: The 2020 TDL Challenge Thread - stay the course or buy the horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

archanfelnsx

Feb 25, 2018
Kreider's deal is only a 2m raise.

Can be subsidized by not re-signing Fast and moving Smith or Staal or something. Let alone any other hockey trades that come in. Don't need to do anything with Hank necessarily for Kreider's deal.

They have a ton of dead cap space next year for the Shattenkirk buyout.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
The cycle will continue.

Rangers make a "sexy" but short-sighted move. Half the fan base cheers. The other half is upset and talks about the long term consequences.

When the long-term group brings up how they should've avoided that short-sighted move- they are ridiculed and called fake fans that root for the team to lose. Team makes another short-sighted move.

Rinse and repeat.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Another way to look at the Kreider deal is it gives the organization a solid piece that will be here for the entirety of the development of the current youth. We've heard Kreider is great with the young guys and has shown great chemistry with other guys that will be here long term. To me, this resign is a great move and shows that the rebuild will have some semblance of consistency!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yes we are. (almost) all the pieces are in place. Now we just have to wait for the youngsters to mature.

Just remember "almost" comes with a cost.

And waiting for youngsters to mature, comes with a time commitment.

I just worry that everyone thinks we're going to go out and upgrade our LD without a significant cost (including salary), and that some of our youngsters are going to be easily replacing some of the offense that we might be a little too eager to move.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The cycle will continue.

Rangers make a "sexy" but short-sighted move. Half the fan base cheers. The other half is upset and talks about the long term consequences.

When the long-term group brings up how they should've avoided that short-sighted move- they are ridiculed and called fake fans that root for the team to lose. Team makes another short-sighted move.

Rinse and repeat.

After two years of moves entirely made for the future, one move that is based in the now completely delegitimizes all of it?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
My real concern with the Kreider deal is now the Rangers are forced to make moves, likely from the depth that's making them formidable right now, and they have to do it while taking back less money than they send out. If you're talking Strome, Buch, and Skjei, how do you replace two top-six forwards who account for over 100 points AND a top-4 LHD while bringing back less money??

Either the Rangers are going all-in on hoping kids take huge steps forward, or we're going to start seeing some of that league-best prospect pool start heading out the door very quickly.

If you crunch numbers, they can make it work next year if they buy-out Staal, let Fast walk, and trade one of Strome or Buch. Buying out Hank might even let them bring Strome/Buch back for a year or two. The RW depth is suspect if we're losing Fast and Buch, but the C depth has been a question mark for years.

Does it make them better? No. Like you said, they lose the majority of the depth unless they're getting it through trade or FA, or unless someone really steps up in Hartford. I'm also not at all convinced by Howden.

Lundqvist and Smith walk and $9m in dead cap space from buyouts frees up for 2021-2022. If Lundkvist or Miller are ready or Lias wants to take another run at it, then there might be options. But, again...losing that depth.

Lots of ifs here.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
As I’ve previously stated, the Rangers best possible return on Chris Kreider was to resign Kreider.

The Rangers have won the day.
Let's be real, half the angst is being bored with Kreider (who needs a 1st line wing?) and not getting a shiny new prospect to overhype and another 1st round pick that could be anything, even a 1st line wing.

The board does not take kindly to getting their toys taken away.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Funny thing is I don't think this impacts the prospect as much as it impacts the roster guys --- at least for right now.

Because if you're moving your top prospects now, the odds say you're getting a a veteran player who brings term with him. I think the Rangers probably aren't looking to swap low salaries for high ones--- right now at least.

However, they will have to be creative with how they use their current roster players and what types of salaries they bring back.

It's one thing to say, "Yeah, Buch and Strome aren't core players let's move them."

It's another thing to replace 120 points, and have to take back less salary than you shipped out.

I can't really see them solving any problems today by moving their roster players. At least not in any capacity that makes the team better or stays even in the short term. Fast is probably going to have to go, but beyond that I think it's going to be a "wait for the draft" sort of deadline.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
After two years of moves entirely made for the future, one move that is based in the now completely delegitimizes all of it?

You tell me if spending almost 20M on two wings in their late 20s for 7 years on a supposedly rebuilding year "legitimizes" a rebuild.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kreider is 28. Won’t be 29 till the end of April. Jesus acting like we gave a 35 year old a 7 year deal

this guy fits our window perfectly. You’re best player Mika has major chemistry with him. You tie them together. The guy is a freak athlete. 28 he’s probably coming into his prime. Worry about year 7 in year 7 my god lol

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I wanted Kreider traded, want nothing to do with a 7 year deal. But these "same old Rangers" takes are the worst. The Rangers committed to trading off assets two seasons ago when they were 3 points out of a playoff spot. And committed hard to it for the next two seasons. Are there any parallels in league history?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Funny thing is I don't think this impacts the prospect as much as it impacts the roster guys --- at least for right now.

Because if you're moving your top prospects now, the odds say you're getting a a veteran player who brings term with him. I think the Rangers probably aren't looking to swap low salaries for high ones--- right now at least.

However, they will have to be creative with how they use their current roster players and what types of salaries they bring back.

It's one thing to say, "Yeah, Buch and Strome aren't core players let's move them."

It's another thing to replace 120 points, and have to take back less salary than you shipped out.

I can't really see them solving any problems today by moving their roster players. At least not in any capacity that makes the team better or stays even in the short term. Fast is probably going to have to go, but beyond that I think it's going to be a "wait for the draft" sort of deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad