The Athletic - Boston The 2020 NHL Poll: Players have their say on the best player, worst referee and more

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Athletic’s hockey reporters spent the past couple months polling players around the league to get answers to our most pressing NHL questions. When all was said and done, we spoke to players from all 31 teams and nearly 400 players in total — 392 to be exact. That’s more than half the entire league.

The 2020 NHL Poll: Players have their say on the best...

best2.jpg

goalie1.jpg

underrated1.jpg

dirty1.jpg

defenseman1.jpg

bestref1.jpg

worstref.png

beer1.jpg

outdoor.png

stats.png

rules.png

Reactions: Boston Bandit

aguineapig

Most underrated Defensive Defenceman Brandon Carlo +14 on team in Top 5 Goals Against, 99%. Player to Drink Beer with. Whoever is buying, 100%.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
There are some absolutely terrible results here.

I mean, Tim Peel getting any votes as best ref. :help:

The goalie one might be the worst. I get that guys weren't taking this seriously, but some of those answers are awful. Some of them have never even played in the playoffs before. The easy answer should have been Holtby. Bobrovsky literally has the worst playoff stats among active goalies, and Vasilevskiy isn't far behind him. Price winning (and some of the other answers) just tells me that NHL players don't pay much attention to the rest of the league.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009

The goalie one might be the worst. I get that guys weren't taking this seriously, but some of those answers are awful. Some of them have never even played in the playoffs before. The easy answer should have been Holtby. Bobrovsky literally has the worst playoff stats among active goalies, and Vasilevskiy isn't far behind him. Price winning (and some of the other answers) just tells me that NHL players don't pay much attention to the rest of the league.
That's my take on it too

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills

There were 23 different answers for best goalie. Seems like some of the players must have simply been loyal to their team's guy. Makes sense to me.

What are we supposed to do without the over-the-glass penalty? I get that it's annoying, but I actually think it's a decent rule that creates excitement and prevents constant stoppages. That more players objected to that than the stupid offside microscope is surprising.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

For sure. Players are just naming guys who they think sounds like the right answer, without giving much proper thought to it. Price has earned his fine rep, but his playoff record is only slightly above average and completely unproven at the deep end when it really counts. Fleury, decent, played a part in bringing 2 different teams to SCFs in back-to-back years, but even his own team dropped him for Murray once Matt was fit for the Pens in 2017. Vasilevskiy gets so much hype and the guy can play, no doubt, but he was awful against Columbus last year. The postseason before that he was good, but he's still got a lot to prove to demonstrate he's a genuinely elite playoff goalie. Even Binnington being that high up is premature and again suggests just throwing up a name that seems right.

I agree, so many not naming Holtby is odd, and how Ben Bishop gets so little recognition after putting together an excellent regular season record and 3 massive playoff runs is baffling - maybe a record of injuries at the worst possible times counted against him?

Reactions: BMC

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
This just shows you how out of tune most fans are. Barkov isn't the most underrated (people were ranking him higher than Bergy for Selke winner when he was like -20), Wilson is hands down the dirtiest and the outdoor games are a joke now. Attaboy Marchy for robbing Wilson blind though :laugh:

And Peel got best ref votes? That's enough internet for me.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
This just shows you how out of tune most fans are. Barkov isn't the most underrated (people were ranking him higher than Bergy for Selke winner when he was like -20), Wilson is hands down the dirtiest and the outdoor games are a joke now. Attaboy Marchy for robbing Wilson blind though :laugh:

I think this was actually voted by players lol

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Worst referee, Justin St. Pierre with 42%. That's pretty damning.

Marchand no surprise as dirtiest player.

Tim Peel being 2nd worst and 4th best also not surprising. For every perceived bad call made, there is a whole team of players thinking he got that one right. But because of Wes McCauley being hands down the best ref (71%), getting 3% of the votes gets 4th best.

Beers with Ovie and Sid, somewhat surprising. Surfer Joe 3rd not surprising.

McDavid, no kidding.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

So, in reality, most players are out of tune with the game.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
There were 23 different answers for best goalie. Seems like some of the players must have simply been loyal to their team's guy. Makes sense to me.

What are we supposed to do without the over-the-glass penalty? I get that it's annoying, but I actually think it's a decent rule that creates excitement and prevents constant stoppages. That more players objected to that than the stupid offside microscope is surprising.

That was absolutely the case, but if I'm The Athletic, I'm throwing out the answers of anyone who clearly wasn't taking it seriously. It makes your whole data sample bad if the goal is to get an actual consensus among players.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
It's affirming to see that Rooney got a good amount of votes on worst ref. He really is bad. Of course he got some best votes as well but...

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
For sure. Players are just naming guys who they think sounds like the right answer, without giving much proper thought to it. Price has earned his fine rep, but his playoff record is only slightly above average and completely unproven at the deep end when it really counts. Fleury, decent, played a part in bringing 2 different teams to SCFs in back-to-back years, but even his own team dropped him for Murray once Matt was fit for the Pens in 2017. Vasilevskiy gets so much hype and the guy can play, no doubt, but he was awful against Columbus last year. The postseason before that he was good, but he's still got a lot to prove to demonstrate he's a genuinely elite playoff goalie. Even Binnington being that high up is premature and again suggests just throwing up a name that seems right.

I agree, so many not naming Holtby is odd, and how Ben Bishop gets so little recognition after putting together an excellent regular season record and 3 massive playoff runs is baffling - maybe a record of injuries at the worst possible times counted against him?

Not sure what this means, but I think you're too hard on Price. He has proven himself "when it really counts" enough that Canada made him their #1 goalie several times.
Yes his stats have dropped off, but the fact that his NHL team has been so poorly managed the last several years doesn't mean he is not still respected by the players throughout the league.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
That was absolutely the case, but if I'm The Athletic, I'm throwing out the answers of anyone who clearly wasn't taking it seriously. It makes your whole data sample bad if the goal is to get an actual consensus among players.
I think the Athletic is happy to report the players' loyalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad