GDT: The 2020 NCAA Football Thread

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So @DaveG
West Virginia to the ACC? due to Ok and Texas?
ACC wouldnt take WV. WV will go to the AAC at this point. Their fans make that school more undesirable. That is hard to do seeing that their TV market is very small, academics arent very good, and there is zero recruiting help by adding WV.

Reactions: Tryamw

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So @DaveG
West Virginia to the ACC? due to Ok and Texas? For 2025+?
I'd be ok with that outcome, but there would have to be a lot of convincing if the votes the last cycle are an indication. UVa, UNC (and by proxy State), and Duke were firmly against adding WVU last time around. Not sure what the requirements are for the ACC, but i can also see the Domers and Louisville saying no just to be pricks.

ACC wouldnt take WV. WV will go to the AAC at this point. Their fans make that school more undesirable. That is hard to do seeing that their TV market is very small, academics arent very good, and there is zero recruiting help by adding WV.
And yet they had no issues adding the trashiest of trash in Louisville the last time

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I'd be ok with that outcome, but there would have to be a lot of convincing if the votes the last cycle are an indication. UVa, UNC (and by proxy State), and Duke were firmly against adding WVU last time around. Not sure what the requirements are for the ACC, but i can also see the Domers and Louisville saying no just to be pricks.

Was WV even a candidate when Louisville was added? I can't remember anymore.

I think now, seeing what is left in the landscape, WV will have a better chance. There aren't many other good options. Maybe UCF, but FSU and Miami would probably balk at that.

But if ND is not joining for football, what's the point of going from 14 to 15 in football?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Was WV even a candidate when Louisville was added? I can't remember anymore.

I think now, seeing what is left in the landscape, WV will have a better chance. There aren't many other good options. Maybe UCF, but FSU and Miami would probably balk at that.

But if ND is not joining for football, what's the point of going from 14 to 15 in football?
They were initially when Pitt and Cuse made their move. I don't think it ever got to voting because they knew the votes weren't there.

Oddly enough the interest was there from the SEC but they wanted time to see if anyone from the Big 12 was going to become available. Mizzou wanted the Big 10 but that wasn't happening, so the SEC went for the TV markets in that pick over WVU.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
UNC on the least list? Thats BS. I mean I know they are flippant towards the NCAA but not public sentiment. If your threaten at all their liberal projection you start a shit storm.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
TBH with the OU and Texas official and the money for the SEC is going to explode, I wouldnt doubt that Florida State and Clemson will join them as well. SC and Florida would hate the idea until they see the media deal get astronomical. ACC is already 300 million behind the SEC and will be 100 million more behind (i would expect those two flag ships to add that much). Clemson and FS will see the writing on the wall. Seeing that both of those teams probably add another 100 million to the table, SEC would probably easily help them with a 50 million exit fee in 2025.

It might seem crazy but, I think it will happen.

ND, NC Schools, VA schools, and Kansas will be in scramble mode.

UVA, Duke and NC probably go to Big 10. They may add Kansas for basketball only.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Lousiville, while trash, is a better basketball school than WV. Probably on par with football too.
Only marginally in basketball and that's only looking back decades. In recent years WVU has been just as good and wasn't the dirtiest program in the country like Louisville was under Pitino.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not sure Clemson would want to leave the ACC even if they get more money. They have one of the easiest paths to the playoffs in football.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Only marginally in basketball and that's only looking back decades. In recent years WVU has been just as good and wasn't the dirtiest program in the country like Louisville was under Pitino.
Marginally is kind of playing down the Cardinals. I am no fan of theirs but they are much more likely to be a National title contenders than WV. I would like to say ACC cares about cheating but their flagship program is the worst cheater so, it is about results. Louisville won a championship and is still a top 15 program. WV bounces around top 25 spots not a serious contender. While that may seem marginal, there typically isnt a small margin between perennial top 15 programs and one that stays around the top 25.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Not sure Clemson would want to leave the ACC even if they get more money. They have one of the easiest paths to the playoffs in football.
I agree but the money difference that SEC schools and Clemson will get will become almost unsustainable for Clemson. Clemson has FSU as their one big game intra conference game. And that isnt even that great right now. SEC would have any of the following options that would trump it: OU, Texas, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, and A&M. Sometimes the Mississippi schools are pretty good. That is 28 combination of games that could beat Clemson's 1.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
They were initially when Pitt and Cuse made their move. I don't think it ever got to voting because they knew the votes weren't there.

Oddly enough the interest was there from the SEC but they wanted time to see if anyone from the Big 12 was going to become available. Mizzou wanted the Big 10 but that wasn't happening, so the SEC went for the TV markets in that pick over WVU.

I remember that, but I thought they were already signed to the B12 when Maryland left and Louisville was picked. Otherwise I could have seen WV then.

TBH with the OU and Texas official and the money for the SEC is going to explode, I wouldnt doubt that Florida State and Clemson will join them as well. SC and Florida would hate the idea until they see the media deal get astronomical. ACC is already 300 million behind the SEC and will be 100 million more behind (i would expect those two flag ships to add that much). Clemson and FS will see the writing on the wall. Seeing that both of those teams probably add another 100 million to the table, SEC would probably easily help them with a 50 million exit fee in 2025.

It might seem crazy but, I think it will happen.

ND, NC Schools, VA schools, and Kansas will be in scramble mode.

UVA, Duke and NC probably go to Big 10. They may add Kansas for basketball only.

B1G adds Kansas for everything; I don't see them going only-basketball.

I think the ACC will remain, but the key may be getting ND for football as well. Then you have at least a stable 16 when a 16th is identified.

Crazy idea: B1G goes west and takes Kansas and Colorado. P12 then takes TT, maybe they take OK State and expand further but it's hard to identify if they take KS State or IA State as the 14th.

But I can see this as the beginning of the end of major WF athletics if it goes to the superconferences. Partially because WF will not be interesting to the superconferences; partially because I don't see them getting heavily involved in the NIL deals.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I remember that, but I thought they were already signed to the B12 when Maryland left and Louisville was picked. Otherwise I could have seen WV then.

I think the ACC will remain, but the key may be getting ND for football as well. Then you have at least a stable 16 when a 16th is identified.

Crazy idea: B1G goes west and takes Kansas and Colorado. P12 then takes TT, maybe they take OK State and expand further but it's hard to identify if they take KS State or IA State as the 14th.

The midwestern states arent overly attractive candidates. Iowa St because of a geographical rival but to be honest Iowa State is like NC State the after thought of the state of Iowa. The flagship school, Iowa, doesnt really consider Iowa State a rival either much like UNX to State. Heck they didnt even play each other for 40 some years. Iowa owns the football matchup.

KSU. used to live in Manhattan. I wouldnt see the appeal to adding them. Stillwater is the 5th largest town in Oklahoma but that isnt saying much. I dont see a ton of large interest from the now major conferences with ISU, KSU, OSU, TT, etc. Kansas, maybe, because of basketball but football is still ruling the roost. And they are AWFUL, as you know.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
There are very few basketball programs that can attract a conference in expansion independent of their current football status.

Duke is one, although post-K is a question.
UNC is another.
Kansas is absolutely another. The B1G will gladly accept a homecoming game in conference to get Kansas basketball on BTN.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

But I can see this as the beginning of the end of major WF athletics if it goes to the superconferences. Partially because WF will not be interesting to the superconferences; partially because I don't see them getting heavily involved in the NIL deals.
I'd see the Pac taking all of TT, Baylor, Okie State, and TCU.

Iowa State going to whichever of the Pac or B1G. In your scenario the Pac.

K State may be SOL

And to see if the ACC wants to go to 16 or not in response.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I'd see the Pac taking all of TT, Baylor, Okie State, and TCU.

Iowa State going to whichever of the Pac or B1G. In your scenario the Pac.

K State may be SOL

And to see if the ACC wants to go to 16 or not in response.

If the P12 is going to start letting in private religious-affiliated schools, they are going to add BYU along with TCU and Baylor.
But I don't think they are going that direction.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Personally, I think the Big 12 should look to stick together and expand. Add BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and Memphis, get to 12 and hope to keep it together.

It would be a decent football conference and a damn good basketball one.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
All these realignments are taking the fun out of the sport for me. If the ACC were to get disbanded, which I think is eventually coming, I'm not sure I'd bother watching anymore. I don't follow recruiting anymore and just assume Alabama signed all the big boys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad