Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I don't think they made out as well as it appears. I think what the NHL did was actually really clever. See, in the normal course of events, Montreal would have had a 6% shot in the lottery and Chicago would have had 5%. By being in the play-in round, they lose those odds. Instead, if any of the lottery balls falls with the play-in teams, both Montreal and Chicago (assuming they lose) get the same odds as everyone else (12.5%). This works out to an approximately 3.1% chance of either team winning the lottery if one slot is available to the play in teams. So both team's odds of getting a top 3 pick has actually gone down in this scenario.

I think that's actually really fair because it balances out the benefit they get with a shot at the playoffs. Meanwhile, for teams like Pittsburgh, they'll go from not even in the lottery to a (potentially) 3.1% chance if they lose, which is at least some consolation for their fans.

If the goal is to prevent tanking at any cost, then sure, the system works. It would also "work" if you just completely randomized the draft from top to bottom. At the end of the day, the system still rewards teams for being bad, plus it adds in some random punishment & reward for teams that don't deserve it. And if another McDavid came up with a nice consolation prize like Eichel behind him, I think you'd still see tanking.

If they really wanted to use a system that prevents tanking but without the random punsihment/reward they should use the Gold plan.

If you're not familiar with it, it's very simple: draft seeding is based on points accumulated by teams from the point they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs onward. So the worst teams would have the most games to earn points, but in theory would have the hardest time doing so, especially if they tank.
How about the Suck It Up That Another Team Finished Behind You and gets the Shiny New Toy! Plan?

Won one Lotto in 2013 and got MacKinnon, figure it will only happen once every 32 years we're coming out ahead. Philly saved us from Nolan Patrick in 2017 so losing there looks like it worked out for the best.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
How about the Suck It Up That Another Team Finished Behind You and gets the Shiny New Toy! Plan?

Won one Lotto in 2013 and got MacKinnon, figure it will only happen once every 32 years we're coming out ahead. Philly saved us from Nolan Patrick in 2017 so losing there looks like it worked out for the best.

Sounds like you believe in the Change is Bad and Any Idea to Improve Things Should be Dismissed as Just Whining plan.

By the way, the 2013 draft was using the old system, so to be clear, do you support going back to that system, or do you prefer the current system? Or do you just think nobody should ever want to improve on whatever system is in place at the time - just treat it as fate and go on with your life?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Sounds like you believe in the Change is Bad and Any Idea to Improve Things Should be Dismissed as Just Whining plan.

By the way, the 2013 draft was using the old system, so to be clear, do you support going back to that system, or do you prefer the current system? Or do you just think nobody should ever want to improve on whatever system is in place at the time - just treat it as fate and go on with your life?
There wouldn’t be a team in Pittsburgh if it weren’t for tanking. It is unpreventable and sound policy for both teams and the league.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
There wouldn’t be a team in Pittsburgh if it weren’t for tanking. It is unpreventable and sound policy for both teams and the league.

Ah, I get it, you're a supporter of the old way of the draft order is just the reverse of the season standings.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Gold Plan would prevent tanking, so I don't think it's unpreventable. Completely randomizing the draft order would probably also prevent tanking.

Also, I wouldn't say tanking is a sound policy for both teams and the league. Maybe under the system you seem to favor you could say it's sound policy for the team. But the league doesn't benefit from teams being the worst in the league and their fans cheering against them. I'm sure ratings and attendance numbers drop drastically in such cases, thus hurting revenues. Also, teams don't really benefit any more because under the current system the team that tanks the most is likely to end up with the 4th overall pick, while teams that are bad but don't tank as much are likely to get the top 3 picks. Seems to me the optimal strategy to improve through the draft (under the current system) is to have a good scouting/development staff, and if you're going to be bad, don't be so bad that you can't turn it around quickly.

You can argue that Pittsburgh tanking helped them, but I could point to Buffalo and Arizona tanking for McDavid and both never recovering from it fully. And that was even under the old system.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Ah, I get it, you're a supporter of the old way of the draft order is just the reverse of the season standings.
Reason we have two Cups here. Those three straight 1st overalls in Quebec made a huge difference.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Gold Plan would prevent tanking, so I don't think it's unpreventable. Completely randomizing the draft order would probably also prevent tanking.
Or teams would tank harder early to get eliminated early to start banking points.

It also kills the trade deadline, an avenue for bad and good to get better and would hamper the ability for teams to trade away bad contracts.

But a small price to pay to eliminate the shonda of what happened in Buffalo 5 years ago.

Also, I wouldn't say tanking is a sound policy for both teams and the league. Maybe under the system you seem to favor you could say it's sound policy for the team. But the league doesn't benefit from teams being the worst in the league and their fans cheering against them.
This isn't Lake Wobegon, SOMEONE has to finish last, whether by design, sheer incompetence or bad circumstances. It is also the carrot for fans to stick with an awful team through the bad days.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Makar, 100%.

Plays a more premium position, and is a proven commodity. There isn't a defenseman in the world I'd trade for Makar, so it's a no brainer for me.

Yeah, me too.

If Lafreniere was a centre, maybe I’d change my mind, but I wouldn’t take him over Makar.

Reactions: ibengals

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, me too.

If Lafreniere was a centre, maybe I’d change my mind, but I wouldn’t take him over Makar.
But then I'd take Laf over Quinn Hughes quite easily. So yeah...I want to say Makar too but I'm not sure how much of that is because of the emotional attachment.

It's very possible to be a wing and a difference maker in the NHL. See Panarin, Kucherov, Kane...it's not a slam dunk that Laf will become that good but his floor is pretty damn high.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's hard to say without seeing Laf in the NHL, but whenever it's close in today's NHL, I lean towards the defenseman now because it's sooooo hard to find those high end D men if you don't draft them.

I think I probably still play it safe with a potential high end 1C like MacKinnon over a potential high end 1D in Seth Jones, but I'd take a 2D over a 2C most of the time.

I'd have to really be high on a 1W to take them over a 1D, even though wingers contribute a lot more than they used to. I'm not sure Laf is that high end though, and I think Makar may be the best defenseman in the NHL pretty soon, so I think I probably take Cale.

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ll be cheering for the higher seeds in the play-in round because of the Lafreniere factor.

The Avs can handle a tougher matchup, the blowback long-term of Lafreniere going to a good team would be far worse.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I’ll be cheering for the higher seeds in the play-in round because of the Lafreniere factor.

The Avs can handle a tougher matchup, the blowback long-term of Lafreniere going to a good team would be far worse.

I'm not too concerned with Lafreniere as long as it's not a team in the central division. Ideally he won't be in the West at all but if it happens then so be it. I know most Avs/hockey fans would hate it but selfishly I'd welcome him here in Edmonton. I put the entertainment value of watching McDavid, Draisaitl, and Lafreniere live over them possibly making things tougher for the Avs if they were to meet in the playoffs. Him going to a good team in the East doesn't really bother me either. Maybe if it ended up being the Leafs because they're young and their fans would be even more insufferable but in all likelihood it won't effect the Avs.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm not too concerned with Lafreniere as long as it's not a team in the central division. Ideally he won't be in the West at all but if it happens then so be it. I know most Avs/hockey fans would hate it but selfishly I'd welcome him here in Edmonton. I put the entertainment value of watching McDavid, Draisaitl, and Lafreniere live over them possibly making things tougher for the Avs if they were to meet in the playoffs. Him going to a good team in the East doesn't really bother me either. Maybe if it ended up being the Leafs because they're young and their fans would be even more insufferable but in all likelihood it won't effect the Avs.
The teams in bold below are the ones I'd find it acceptable for him to go to.

Calgary
Winnipeg
Chicago
Nashville
Minnesota
Edmonton
Vancouver
Arizona

Columbus
Toronto
Montreal
Pittsburgh
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Carolina
Florida

Calgary are in a retool and will likely lose Gaudreau in 2 years time so I don't see them as much of a threat. Arizona could be dangerous with some firepower, but I see them as a relatively minor threat.

Any team in the East other than Leafs or Pittsburgh (and maybe NYR) would be great. If Rangers get Lafreniere they'll be able to do some serious damage starting in 2021/22 when the Lundqvist/Staa/Smith contracts come off the books, and they can roll with Zib/Panarin/Kaako/Lafreniere with a supporting cast of Kreider, Buchnevich, Kravtsov, Chytil, Fox, DeAngelo, Trouba, etc. Would be quite fun to watch actually.

Reactions: Murzu

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Calgary
Winnipeg
Chicago
Nashville
Minnesota
Edmonton
Vancouver
Arizona

Columbus
Toronto
Montreal
Pittsburgh
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Carolina
Florida

Calgary are in a retool and will likely lose Gaudreau in 2 years time so I don't see them as much of a threat. Arizona could be dangerous with some firepower, but I see them as a relatively minor threat.

Any team in the East other than Leafs or Pittsburgh (and maybe NYR) would be great. If Rangers get Lafreniere they'll be able to do some serious damage starting in 2021/22 when the Lundqvist/Staa/Smith contracts come off the books, and they can roll with Zib/Panarin/Kaako/Lafreniere with a supporting cast of Kreider, Buchnevich, Kravtsov, Chytil, Fox, DeAngelo, Trouba, etc. Would be quite fun to watch actually.

Why do the Pens matter? I guess if you just don't like them or want them to have more luck then you'd hate it but their best players are in their mid-30's and the only way it effects the Avs is if they were to meet in the finals. They're not losing to the Habs though so I don't think anyone needs to even worry about them.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Why do the Pens matter? I guess if you just don't like them or want them to have more luck then you'd hate it but their best players are in their mid-30's and the only way it effects the Avs is if they were to meet in the finals. They're not losing to the Habs though so I don't think anyone needs to even worry about them.
I guess it doesn't really matter, just that they seemingly have a history of winning the lottery at the most opportune times when they scarcely deserve it. Not that I care too much about them, or the Leafs for that matter. Any team in the East would be fine really.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

If he goes to Edmonton you can basically kiss the Avs chances goodbye of getting multiple cups in the MacKinnon era. Even getting one would be pretty tough.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Calgary
Winnipeg
Chicago
Nashville
Minnesota
Edmonton
Vancouver
Arizona

Columbus
Toronto
Montreal
Pittsburgh
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Carolina
Florida

Of the teams you’d be ok with him going to, only the Rangers and Hurricanes would irk me, if he went there.

Those two teams would be ridiculous with Lafreniere. Ultimately though, if he goes out East, that will be a lot better for the Avs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If he goes to Edmonton you can basically kiss the Avs chances goodbye of getting multiple cups in the MacKinnon era. Even getting one would be pretty tough.

Avs are better, deeper, and still have their own elite prospect(s) coming. They'll be fine.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co

Calgary
Winnipeg
Chicago
Nashville
Minnesota
Edmonton
Vancouver
Arizona

Columbus
Toronto
Montreal
Pittsburgh
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Carolina
Florida

Arizona is moving to the Central after next season, so I prefer he doesn't end up there.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Avs are better, deeper, and still have their own elite prospect(s) coming. They'll be fine.

I love the Avs, but this roster projects better than ours:

Lafreniere - McDavid - Kassian
Nuge - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
AA - Archibald - Ennis
Khaira - Sheahan - Chiasson

Klefbom - Bouchard
Nurse - Bear
Broberg - Larson

Koskinen

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Why did they HAD to have the lottery before the playoffs? It screws with competitiveness of the playoffs. Imagine it’s 2-2 between the Pens and the Habs and both Malkin and Crosby are injured and out of the playoffs. Wouldn’t it be tempting to tank one game for a shot at Lafrenière?

Reactions: McMetal
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Calgary
Winnipeg
Chicago
Nashville
Minnesota
Edmonton
Vancouver
Arizona

Columbus
Toronto
Montreal
Pittsburgh
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Carolina
Florida

The Rangers are the last team that I think deserves more gifts. They were gifted Kakko, and got Fox and Panarin just because they are New York. No more free stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->