Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I am not the biggest fan in the world of Wheeler, but how he described Lundell's game in one of his articles is quite accurate to me. He's a great prospect, top 15 overall in the entire world is no small feat. However, I don't see him have top end offensive talent even though he has some good traits in his game. For example, I suggest that he plays a very mature style who's very responsible without the puck and has above-average offensive potential.

His game style reminds me of a centre due to his two-way ability, but I question how high his offensive skills are and why I dropped him because he's played wing this season too. What I think you're going to get with him at this current point of time is either a 2nd line winger or a 3rd line centre - who has 2nd line centre potential - and there are ten better players IMHO. In the top ten you should be hitting either 1st line centres, 1st line wingers, top-pairing defenders, or 1B goalers and I just don't see anything higher from him as of now. Reminds me of a bit more talented Adam Henrique (or Brock Nelson) type of player and even though I suggest that he's serviceable and will have a long NHL career, top ten is a reach for me.
Hows Krejci as a comparable? I see him as a 60-80pt guy with shutdown ability.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm probably higher on Lundell than most (mostly because his hockey IQ is high end and I believe he will be a center), but he's not supremely skilled. I doubt you'll ever be seeing him in the top 20-30 of NHL scoring as I just don't think that ability is there. That said he's got a hell of a shot that will be a weapon in the NHL and he looks like a future 30+ goal sort of center with shutdown ability and will anchor a PK (he can QB a PP from the point too). With all of that, this draft is really stacked. Lundell slipping into the teens would not at all shock me. He's been on the radar forever and those types do tend to get over scouted and drop 5+ spots by having so much exposure that their weaknesses get blown out of proportion.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not a fan of Drysdale I see? I could see some team taking him top 5 rather easily
Weirdly enough, I watched some Erie Otters on tape delay the other night and he's already looking like a riser for my Spring list. In the past, these defenders would be iffy, but Girard has paved the way from the Rafalskis' and Zidlickys' before him. Drysdale is a Girard clone, just an uber smart defender with good mobility and a very consistent style of hockey. Top 5 or 10 is pushing it for me though, I don't see him having top end offensive potential, but he's good enough that I think 10th to 16th or so is fair. He's going to go too high no doubt, but whoever drafts him is probably a team who absolutely fell in love with his game over the course of the season, he's quite impressive.
Hows Krejci as a comparable? I see him as a 60-80pt guy with shutdown ability.
Not sure I see 60 to 80 points, maybe I am selling Lundell short and he does have that offensive skills. What I mean is that Kadri isn't the most talented bloke either and he's on pace for his career average in points with 60-ish. I think that might be fair for Lundell as well, Kadri did go 7th overall who would probably go between 7th and 14th in a 2009 redraft list. I see Lundell more in the Nolan Patrick spectrum, maybe more offensive flair, but a lad who has the similar talent and lack of talent level.

I feel like that’s reaching a bit. That’s an elite level of player that is quite rare.
Has Krejci ever been that consistent of an elite player? I haven't chequed his point totals the last couple of years, but I remember that he was in a lot of trade proposals by Bruins fans like three years ago. He always came across as a good yet complimentary centre for me.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's been on the radar forever and those types do tend to get over scouted and drop 5+ spots by having so much exposure that their weaknesses get blown out of proportion.
That's the hardest thing when it comes to scouting, how to stop yourself among others in the over-scouting department. That's what I suggest happened to McMichael because he gets to play in London and a lot of scouts live there to watch a lot of opponent teams. However, they get to see him daily and why he probably slipped in mine and other rankings.

Reactions: henchman21

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm probably higher on Lundell than most (mostly because his hockey IQ is high end and I believe he will be a center), but he's not supremely skilled. I doubt you'll ever be seeing him in the top 20-30 of NHL scoring as I just don't think that ability is there. That said he's got a hell of a shot that will be a weapon in the NHL and he looks like a future 30+ goal sort of center with shutdown ability and will anchor a PK (he can QB a PP from the point too). With all of that, this draft is really stacked. Lundell slipping into the teens would not at all shock me. He's been on the radar forever and those types do tend to get over scouted and drop 5+ spots by having so much exposure that their weaknesses get blown out of proportion.

Sounds like Jarett Stoll 2.0, minus the supermodels and cocaine.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Krejci is elite or do you mean sixty plus centers? Not sure it's as rare as you are saying.

Has Krejci ever been that consistent of an elite player? I haven't chequed his point totals the last couple of years, but I remember that he was in a lot of trade proposals by Bruins fans like three years ago. He always came across as a good yet complimentary centre for me.

Sorry I didn't mean Krejci was a rare elite player. I'm saying ~70+ pt shutdown centers are rare and I don't think that Lundell will be that type of player.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Sorry I didn't mean Krejci was a rare elite player. I'm saying ~70+ pt shutdown centers are rare and I don't think that Lundell will be that type of player.
I think hes as talented as guys like Monahan and Zibanejad. He also seems to think the game on a level those guys don't. Him scoring somewhere in the 60's or 70's isn't outlandish as a projection imo.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think hes as talented as guys like Monahan and Zibanejad. He also seems to think the game on a level those guys don't. Him scoring somewhere in the 60's or 70's isn't outlandish as a projection imo.

The guy is clearly good and I think 50-60 points is extremely likely. He's also really smart so good 2 way play is also likely, but a 70 pt shutdown C is Barkov/Bergeron territory and that just won't happen. Or it'd be incredibly unlikely.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The guy is clearly good and I think 50-60 points is extremely likely. He's also really smart so good 2 way play is also likely, but a 70 pt shutdown C is Barkov/Bergeron territory and that just won't happen. Or it'd be incredibly unlikely.
The comparison I gave was Krejci, a 2nd line C with solid defensive skills that is generally a 60pt guy. An ideal 2C.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Mikko Koivu with a better shot is who Lundell reminds me of. Not flashy, steady 2 way player that is good in all areas of the game. I think Lundell's ceiling is of a low end #1C, but you're more likely to get an all around #2C out of him.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I know. You also said 60-80 pt shutdown C and I was saying that 70+ points and shutdown ability was unreasonable.
If you look at Krejci's stats he rotates between 50-60 and 70 pt seasons. Thats why I chose that spread. 70pts isn't as extreme as it once was. Guys like Couturier and O'rielly have done it recently and I think were even longer shots if you look at them pre-draft.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
From 10-11 to 16-17 the average goals per game for a team was in the 2.7s. The last three seasons are 2.97, 3.01, and 3.06. If you feel this continues, you pretty much elevate all players 10% above where they would have been projected 5-10 year ago. Prior to the past two seasons, the only year to average over 3 since 1996 was 05-06.

Something. Something. Goalie equipment changes will have no impact. Something. :sarcasm:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If you look at Krejci's stats he rotates between 50-60 and 70 pt seasons. Thats why I chose that spread. 70pts isn't as extreme as it once was. Guys like Couturier and O'rielly have done it recently and I think were even longer shots if you look at them pre-draft.

Krejci is a good two way guy but not a shutdown C though. ROR and Couts are elite level C’s. I mean again Lundell would be good, but being a shutdown 70pt C means your close to top 10 in your position and I don’t think that will be the case with him.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Krejci is a good two way guy but not a shutdown C though. ROR and Couts are elite level C’s. I mean again Lundell would be good, but being a shutdown 70pt C means your close to top 10 in your position and I don’t think that will be the case with him.
Krejci isn't elite but he's capable of playing a shutdown role. He just has Bergeron so there is no need. You are the one who brought up the idea of him being elite defensively.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Krejci isn't elite but he's capable of playing a shutdown role. He just has Bergeron so there is no need. You are the one who brought up the idea of him being elite defensively.

Well a shutdown center typically is elite defensively.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Not 2020 draft related, but 2021... remember the name Owen Power.
e2ddbd0e2d066562efccfff77c75ceefca32df15.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Still convinced it is a weak draft, but you're not joking. Not a physical player, but 6'5" and great toolset...probably will remind people of Erik Johnson.

I can see it... he's a freak athletically and I think he actually has a toolbox unlike EJ... but it is early. Got a year and a half of evaluation to go. Kid is awfully impressive right now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad