Prospect Info: The 2020 - 2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I get your point....another trip to lottery land, and the likelihood is that both Green and Benning get punted. Sometimes to have to fire and fall back, lose the battle but win the war in the end.

But it's more likely that we finish high enough to miss out on the top prospects once again.

My bet is that they probably make enough moves to make the playoffs but then what, it's not like we are a team built for the playoffs unless the rules change.

Reactions: 701

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If we have a pretty normal season where these 20' and 21' drafted prospects gets to play at least like 60% of a regular schedule, we're going to find out pretty quick who can play and who we can write off.

Essentially we've got two draft classes that are absolute black boxes.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Ahh, the thread Benning lovers come to wallow in their fantasies of hope that Juloevi becomes Orr and Garland is the next St. Louis.

So there is Woo. Podkolzin has been given a spot on the big team. They can't demote Hoglander now and DiPietro is a few years away yet.

Any others prospects are likely the cast offs from other teams, sometimes two other teams.

The future for really good prospects will come when they trade Horvat, Miller and Boeser for the rebuild maybe starting next year. They won't have cap space for them, not with Jimmy doing the counting

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Ahh, the thread Benning lovers come to wallow in their fantasies of hope that Juloevi becomes Orr and Garland is the next St. Louis.

So there is Woo. Podkolzin has been given a spot on the big team. They can't demote Hoglander now and DiPietro is a few years away yet.

Any others prospects are likely the cast offs from other teams, sometimes two other teams.

The future for really good prospects will come when they trade Horvat, Miller and Boeser for the rebuild maybe starting next year. They won't have cap space for them, not with Jimmy doing the counting

I have hope for Rathbone as well, You think Hoglander should be demoted? Not sure what they can't demote him means or are you stating he is no longer a prospect because he graduated. Is that the point that all the prospects have either graduated or/and failed. That is true but then again all the spots are accounted for the next two years contact wise. We need our young NHL players to improve Hoglander, Petterson, Hughes etc. We do have 2 important rookies this year Rathbone and Podz. I expect Depietro will be backup next year. We are changing from multiple rookies coming in ever year to one or two a year. This is the team's lineup for better or worse for two years. Hope Woo takes Hamonic's job and end of Holtby, Halak, costs helps with a solution.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looks to me that Podkolzin and Rathbone are a couple of young guys who are a virtual lock to make the team next season. They join Hoglander who just turned 21. That's actually pretty impressive, particularly if these guys have the impact everyone seems to think they will.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
While the prospect pool at forward is weak, it's not currently a big deal because the youth at the NHL level. They need to have a five year vision to bring forwards through the system, which means the focus in the next two to three years needs to be building in that area.

The goaltending prospect pool is actually very solid. It's more about developing the guys in hand and responding to their development appropriately.

The defense prospect pool is by far the biggest issue. Only Woo has a greater than 50/50 chance of having an NHL impact. Of course, others could surprise but hope is not a plan. Rathbone and Hughes look like they are going to be staples on the Vancouver blueline for years to come. Juolevi may only ever be a replacement level player. Every other defenseman in the organization expected to have a significant impact in the NHL is 28 years old or older. They seriously need to find a way to bring good young D-men into the system now with the objective of having them push for an NHL spot in one to two years.

How to do that is a mystery since it isn't easy and any near term assets that the team has/had are either helping the team now or have been given away already. The draft won't solve this immediate need (but they should still look to draft D-men for the longer term). Realistically they need to find 2 players with top 4 potential and do it as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
If Woo can stay healthy, I think he eventually turns into a solid top 4 guy. He could be the perfect partner for Hughes or Rathbone... but he's probably another year off.
I'd be happy if Woo turned into a solid bottom pairing guy—a d-man who would be good on the bottom pair for a good team (not one who would get top four minutes on a bad team because it's bad or because he's on an ELC and the cap has been mismanaged so they have no choice).

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
I swear some people would rather prospects stay prospects so that the pool always looks shiny. Not too long ago we had one of the best pools in the league but because of how good those kids were it wasn't long before they became key players for the Canucks. It happens. You get a big group of bluechippers and then boom they're gone. Oh know, doom and gloom.....oh wait, we have a young talented core to look forward to for the next decade or so!

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I swear some people would rather prospects stay prospects so that the pool always looks shiny. Not too long ago we had one of the best pools in the league but because of how good those kids were it wasn't long before they became key players for the Canucks. It happens. You get a big group of bluechippers and then boom they're gone. Oh know, doom and gloom.....oh wait, we have a young talented core to look forward to for the next decade or so!

They've been terrible for over a half decade. The pool should be more than like four players.

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
They've been terrible for over a half decade. The pool should be more than like four players.
Oh our drafting could have absolutely been better. I'm just saying I'm not overall worried about the future. Yet. Gotta start restocking the cupboards though.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Oh our drafting could have absolutely been better. I'm just saying I'm not overall worried about the future. Yet. Gotta start restocking the cupboards though.

It would be less of a concern if they weren't so tight cap-wise going forward, or if they were an obvious contender and this was their shot. We shouldn't be talking about "restocking the cupboards" on a team that's been almost uninterruptedly terrible for however many years.

When the cupboards are empty, it's ideally because you've thrown their contents at improving your team to make the big push for the big successes you've had over the past couple seasons. This team seriously risks that big push being making the playoffs this year and then losing a contributor next summer.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Most of the teams with the worst prospect pools right now have either been recent contenders/champs like Pittsburgh, Tampa, St Louis, Washington, NYI, and Boston. Then you see the Canucks there.

I'm not that concerned about the forwards because they have a bunch of young talent, but the defense is already not great and there is little on the way to help.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I just hope that if Green is not comfortable playing Rathbone in a regular role that they send him down to the farm. Don't make him a 7th defenceman in the pressbox and ruin his development. He could be forming the top duo on the farm and get #1 minutes with Woo.

Reactions: vanuck

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Yes, we suddenly have forward depth because of Petterson, Boeser, Podz, Hoglander progressing beyond expectations. We traded two firsts for Miller and Garland. which is why we do not have new shiny objects. So recently
2017 Petterson, Rathbone
2018 Hughes
2019 Podz, Hoglander
2020 Miller
2021 Garland

Not sure any team in league has made better use of their 1st round picks in last 5 years. The Canucks still have not received full benefit because of anchor contracts and these young players are still progressing. The next few years should be good.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Obviously we have graduated a large amount of our blue chippers to full time core pieces and that shows exemplary drafting but there is a secondary market of draft picks that I’m enthusiastic over, they won’t be core players but hoping we can pull a complimentary player out of this group
Persson
McDonaugh
Lockwood
Costmar
Gabrielson
Truscott
Jurmo
Lockhart

I think these players have some potential based on early reports ( some of them being dated so it’s possible some have fallen off a bit )

the cupboard isnt bare, it just lacks high end players

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So the results are in.....with the Canucks first round pick in 2020 (20th overall) the Devils drafted Russian d-man Shakir Mukhamadulin and of course the Coyotes drafted Dylan Guenther with the ninth overall pick in the most recent 2021 draft.

A quick question for posters.....if it had been the Canucks who drafted these two guys, where would they rank in terms of the team's prospect pool?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Woo
Juolevi
Rafferty
Rathbone

I said last summer that it was a really important year for these 4 D-men. Woo was the only one who really had more of a window. I said if two of these guys could be legitimate NHL d men it would be a huge win.
so, the verdict. Rafferty has fallen off this list. Juolevi is a replacement player unless he somehow develops another gear and some mobility. Rathbone is legitimate. Woo’s trajectory is solid. So we’re at one and a half so far…

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I'd have more faith in Jurmo, Persson and perhaps Myrenberg than Juolevi and Rafferty at this point. Clearly both OJ and Rafferty are AHL quality but it seems that is their ceiling.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So the results are in.....with the Canucks first round pick in 2020 (20th overall) the Devils drafted Russian d-man Shakir Mukhamadulin and of course the Coyotes drafted Dylan Guenther with the ninth overall pick in the most recent 2021 draft.

A quick question for posters.....if it had been the Canucks who drafted these two guys, where would they rank in terms of the team's prospect pool?

Is Rathbone considered a prospect? I would rank Guenther behind Rathbone and Pods. A lot of it is how close the player is to the NHL. I'm not too familiar with Mukhamaudullin and didn't like him at #20. I am actually really high on Persson and think he may be the best D prospect in our system outside of Rathbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->