Pre-Game Talk: The 2019 Pre-Draft Discussion Thread

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Alexander Nikishin would be my choice need to put some higher end defense in the pipeline. While we have Foote his 31 points in Syracuse does not impress me. It takes so much longer for a defenseman to develop the time is now to fill the bucket.

Nikishin isn't even a 2019 eligible draft pick. Foote had a more than fair rookie year in the A. Top 10 in D scoring amongst rookies. 31st amongst all defenders. ES he's in the top 25. We do need to draft another defender but not because Foote doesn't look good because he looked quite good at the end of the year.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
You can bet your ass we are going to draft a small skilled forward or a large mobile defenseman, and if our guy isn't there, trade back into the second round. Tracey sounds exactly the type of player we draft, would not be surprised if we acquired him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nikishin isn't even a 2019 eligible draft pick. Foote had a more than fair rookie year in the A. Top 10 in D scoring amongst rookies. 31st amongst all defenders. ES he's in the top 25. We do need to draft another defender but not because Foote doesn't look good because he looked quite good at the end of the year.

What do you think are the chances Foote makes the team this year? And on a scale of Barbario to Cernak, how effective do you think he would be?

I'm just wondering if we wind up with:

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Foote
Rutta

I'm not thrilled about that, but only because it's not hands-down the best blueline in the league. :p It could be a lot worse. It could be 2015.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
What do you think are the chances Foote makes the team this year? And on a scale of Barbario to Cernak, how effective do you think he would be?

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Foote
Rutta

I'm not thrilled about that, but only because it's not hands-down the best blueline in the league. :p It could be a lot worse. It could be 2015.
I dont think we should part ways with Stralman quite yet. He's too effective right now, and not as easily replaced as one might think. I understand someone has to move to make room for the young ones, but is Stralman the best choice?

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Ed Willes: Size doesn't matter for Cole Caufield, who's out to prove his doubters wrong
At times in his career, Caufield has worn the No. 26 in honour of his favourite player, Hall of Famer Marty St. Louis, another undersized forward who made a career out of proving people wrong. As luck would have it, Marty’s son Ryan made next season’s U17 in the USNDTP and Caufield had a chance to talk to his hero.

“He was the first player I modelled my game after,” Caufield said. “It was really cool to meet him.”

St. Louis also talked with Paul Caufield about his son. This is what he told him: “Don’t worry about size. A hockey player is a hockey player.”

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dont think we should part ways with Stralman quite yet. He's too effective right now, and not as easily replaced as one might think. I understand someone has to move to make room for the young ones, but is Stralman the best choice?

I don't think we can afford him, really. Asking him to stay, with what we could afford to give him, would be asking him to take a big paycut from what he could get on the open market. I know he's not what he used to be, but teams overpay for RHD every single year.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Foote
Rutta

Joe Smith just asked Corey Pronman this question…
“What did you see from Foote last year, his first pro season with Syracuse?
I saw him a decent amount. I thought he played well. There are times where I thought he’d play well, and then his skating got exposed at that level. That said, there was a time where he made some high-end plays. I’m not sure if he’s ready for the next level — he may need another year. He’s going to play for them, but I just don’t think he’ll be a top-four guy.”

Pronman historically underrates our prospects, but when it comes to Foote’s skating/slow feet, he’s right. It needs to improve. It is not going to help his development to bring him up for third pair minutes. Another year of lots of AHL ice time would be the best thing for him.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Joe Smith just asked Corey Pronman this question…
“What did you see from Foote last year, his first pro season with Syracuse?
I saw him a decent amount. I thought he played well. There are times where I thought he’d play well, and then his skating got exposed at that level. That said, there was a time where he made some high-end plays. I’m not sure if he’s ready for the next level — he may need another year. He’s going to play for them, but I just don’t think he’ll be a top-four guy.”

Pronman historically underrates our prospects, but when it comes to Foote’s skating/slow feet, he’s right. It needs to improve. It is not going to help his development to bring him up for third pair minutes. Another year of lots of AHL ice time would be the best thing for him.

Some extra work with Barb Underhill might do wonders too. I have this vague memory floating around that Groulx said in an interview that Foote had improved quite a bit but still needed to work on his skating. Am I remembering correctly??

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Foote
Rutta

He is better than Rutta who we had down the stretch and in the playoffs. He's miles better than Dotchin who they made look decent for a minute. I think he can be a Cernak but it won't be right away like Cernak was. Foote will need time to improve like he did in Syracuse. The first half of the year wasn't rough but not smooth but those lumps made him great at the end. I don't think we have the patience for that, they are still babysitting Sergachev we can't two guys. So I think he starts in Syracuse, I also think he starts there because Masin is waiver eligible and might be kept up but I could see pass through since he's never played an NHL game.

There's nothing wrong with that lineup, good mix of offense and defense on all pairs. Maybe not the first since Hedman hasn't played his best defense the past few seasons. I rather we go with that then to bring back Stralman who I think is done as a top 4 guy and I want Sergachev to have a bigger role.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Wow you are correct I saw his name in one of the 2019 mock drafts and recalled seeing the guy and did not follow up and elite prospect does indicate he is going in the 2020. Well that sucks I still think the team needs to draft defensively this year. The top 6 is set here for the foreseeable future so best defenseman available right handed if possible.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Hedman - Sergachev
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Foote
Rutta

Nope it will be

Hedman, Rutta
Mcdonagh, cernak
Sergachev, Coburn
Masin

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Alright boys and girls.... allegedly Subban is available for the right deal and the Preds are willing to eat some of the salary.... That would solve like 99% of our trap problems right there. Guy can move his feet, great passer, great shooter. I almost don't care what it takes because he can play 28 minutes a night and it isn't gonna matter what teams throw at us because he will move the defensive box on his own.

We need a PMD or our problems aren't gonna get better

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Alright boys and girls.... allegedly Subban is available for the right deal and the Preds are willing to eat some of the salary.... That would solve like 99% of our trap problems right there. Guy can move his feet, great passer, great shooter. I almost don't care what it takes because he can play 28 minutes a night and it isn't gonna matter what teams throw at us because he will move the defensive box on his own.

We need a PMD or our problems aren't gonna get better
McD-Subban pairing for max Montreal trolling.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Subban would help the back end be a lot more mobile, probably solve some issues, but the guys game defensively looked like Rutta in the preds last two runs. He was on the ice for some total doozies. I mean, comical.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like they'd have to eat sooooo much money to make it work that it doesn't make sense with them trying to sign Josi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->