GDT: The 2019 NHL Entry Draft | Day 2 starts at 1pm EST | TOR holds 53, 84, 115, 124, 146, 204 & 208

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I really do not understand why teams do this?

Like, is the difference in 7th round picks in a given year that different that it makes it worth it?

I guess the only upside is it delays the need to offer contracts so soon.

That’s interesting? Reverse of the Buffalo trade we made last year in the 6th round. Guess our board must have been empty? Which means they probably won’t sign any undrafted free agents f anyone was hoping
It basically just means there's nobody else that they feel is worth taking/don't have enough info on, and they'll take another shot at whoever's there next year.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I really do not understand why teams do this?

Like, is the difference in 7th round picks in a given year that different that it makes it worth it?

I guess the only upside is it delays the need to offer contracts so soon.
Maybe they arent excited by much more on the draft board this year. Maybe they want to replace the 7th we lost in the Marleau trade. Maybe its the reason you listed...

Maybe all 3 reasons.

What’s not to understand lol.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Maybe they arent excited by much more on the draft board this year. Maybe they want to replace the 7th we lost in the Marleau trade. Maybe its the reason you listed...

Maybe all 3 reasons.

What’s not to understand lol.

Because its throwing darts at this point. Other then a contract reason like I listed I cant think of a good reason to delay the pick a year.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
But the thing with 7th round picks is that if they knew the player was any good they'd them sooner. Its a total crapshoot at this point. Its really impossible to "like" anyone at this point with any sort of sincerity.

Maybe there's no one left they even wanted to take crapshoot on and they decided to push it down the road a year.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Because its throwing darts at this point. Other then a contract reason like I listed I cant think of a good reason to delay the pick a year.

It might be throwing darts to you, but is it throwing darts to the scouts that make their living off of this stuff? The onces that have spent thousands of hours watching these kids play?

Reactions: Jeypic

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Well that's a wrap. Want to thank the knowledgeable posters who helped me get through this draft this year. Usually I am up to speed on most of the first few rounds, but this year I slacked and the Raptors run took over. Hope to get back to it next year.

Want to specifically thank @Cor and @SeaOfBlue for their insights as well as others. Really learn a lot from you guys.

I also want to say, the ignore button is a great thing, the last 24 hours the button got some wear and tear. I used to get advice to use it and never wanted to. Figured there was no point and that one day I may miss something important. But its a great thing, I advise using it. My list is approaching 50, about 10 mega trolls on the main boards and the rest here on our board. Sometimes you go through threads and it looks like posters are talking to themselves, but its well worth it. Sifting through the trolls/characters/posters with agendas and shticks/people who just want to get a rise out of everyone/constant whiners makes this place better and more informative.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I assume it's more the team acquiring the pick wanting to get one last player, and the team giving the pick being slightly indifferent. Like last year we did the same to get Pontus Holmberg, which people seem pretty happy about so far.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Dustin Wolf gets picked!!!

We have 5 picks in the last two rounds next year lol

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Pretty fun day after a disastrous 1st round.

Marleau moved, Kapanen and Johnsson nearly locked up and a pretty decent haul of draft selections.

Still lot's more to come it looks like.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Its really impossible to "like" anyone at this point with any sort of sincerity.

I don't really agree with that. The whole point of spending millions of dollars to employ a scouting staff and fly them all over the world to watch games is to be able to make informed decisions. It's pure negligence to treat it like it doesn't matter, even when the margins are thin.

Reactions: baton elevated

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Teams have been traded out of the draft since the 5th round. Teams have their list of ranked players with plenty of brackets. By the 7th round, a lot of teams don't have any ranked players so they look to move out and load up for the following year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Were there any rumour about why Constantinou didn't get picked?

His defensive ability is suspect. IQ is a problem too.

I'm not surprised he dropped at all. I thought some team (not the Leafs) would take a shot on him though.

Never thought the Leafs would take someone like Loponen either, but I guess they feel like they will be able to straighten out his defensive ability. He's the only guy they drafted who had IQ problems. The rest are advanced for their ages (well I'm not sure about Abramov, but I know it's not a problem), which is very promising.

Reactions: Stand Witness
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad