Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part VI

Which Goaler (besides Knight) would you want the Avs to draft?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I wonder if Foppa would ever come over to be involved with the Avs at some level. Seems like he's in attendance every now and then and has had some strong opinions over the years about the Avs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Boldy is really looking good but I don't think the Avs have what it takes to trade up to get him. I am going to assume he is gone between 7-10. I do not see a good fit for trading up.

Who said anything about trading up to get him? :naughty:

I wonder if Foppa would ever come over to be involved with the Avs at some level. Seems like he's in attendance every now and then and has had some strong opinions over the years about the Avs.

He just entered the agent business with Lemieux so probably not anytime soon. I believe he also said he just recently moved to Switzerland.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Caufield is up to 11 goals in 4 games now in this tournament. 3 back of Ovys 14 that was the all time record In this tournament.

Would Edmonton do #8 + Russell for #16? Avs just immediately buyout Russell and then draft Turcotte and Caufield. Although seriously I dont think Caufield makes it to #8.

This kid is quickly approaching Top 5 levels.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Caufield is up to 11 goals in 4 games now in this tournament. 3 back of Ovys 14 that was the all time record In this tournament.

Would Edmonton do #8 + Russell for #16? Avs just immediately buyout Russell and then draft Turcotte and Caufield. Although seriously I dont think Caufield makes it to #8.

This kid is quickly approaching Top 5 levels.
Let's pump the brakes on Caufield. He plays on the most stacked team on arguably the most stacked line in the entire tournament. Nice showing but he isn't a top 5 prospect.

I know people will call me a size queen but listed 5'7" is probably closer to 5'5". That might work in juniors when your highly skilled. But even players like Gaudreau are listed 5'9" and that's about as small as you see survive at the NHL level.

Even with eye popping numbers, I'd still be hesitant on a top 10 selection. He is one of those guys you don't know how well he'll handle the transition from smallish not as physical junior guys to NCAA/NHL stronger bigger more physical men.

Some small guys make it work, others don't. He could easily be the next Gaudreau but he could also turn into a Grimaldi, highly skilled but not physical enough to make a difference at the NHL level type.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Let's pump the brakes on Caufield. He plays on the most stacked team on arguably the most stacked line in the entire tournament. Nice showing but he isn't a top 5 prospect.

I know people will calm me a size queen but listed 5'7" is probably closer to 5'5". That might work in juniors when your highly skilled. But even players like Gaudreau are listed 5'9" and that's about as small as you see survive at the NHL level.

Even with eye popping numbers, I'd still be hesitant on a top 10 selection. He is one of those guys you don't know how well he'll handle the transition from smallish not as physical junior guys to NCAA/NHL stronger bigger more physical men.

Some small guys make it work, others don't. He could easily be the next Gaudreau but he could also turn into a Grimaldi, highly skilled but not physical enough to make a difference at the NHL level type.

People were saying the exact same thing about Makar and Heiskanen at this time 2 years ago as well. Fact is the U18s are one of the most important tournaments for the draft. Its the last big tournament before the draft and is often the best chance to see how these guys match up against each other.

Caufield is playing on a stacked team but if you watch the games, he is generating a tonne of opportunity all on his own. And its not just his goal scoring that has been on display this tournament but other aspects of his game as well. He's a good passer, a solid skater, and a very smart player. And while he is undersized, it has proven to not be an issue so far as he has not problem getting involved in the contact and actually initiates it sometimes. I've seen him throw a few solid hits against bigger guys in this tournament already.

To me, he has easily played himself into that huge tier of guys that could go anywhere from ~3-12 in the draft. Cozens, Byram, Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Turcotte, Podkolzin, Boldy, Soderstrom, and Caufield.

To me he's definitely a part of that group right now. Probably towards the bottom or middle of it but definitely in it and all it takes is Colorado, or LA, or Detroit being super high on him and all of a sudden he goes at 4/5/6 instead of 10/11/12. We saw it last year with Hayton and with Kravtsov. And we saw it the year before with Makar.

Another guy who has impressed me a lot at this U18 tournament has been Newhook. I was a big skeptic of his the last couple of months because he didn't really seem to take off offensively in the BCHL like I had hoped. But he's having a strong U18 and playing with his piers has shown that he's definitely got a lot of talent. Skating is the big concern with him and whether it will be good enough to be a Center at the NHL level, like the concerns around Jost now. But he's another I wouldn't have much concern with taking at #16 at this point and could certainly see a team or two taking him in the #10 range of the draft.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I know people will calm me a size queen but listed 5'7" is probably closer to 5'5". That might work in juniors when your highly skilled. But even players like Gaudreau are listed 5'9" and that's about as small as you see survive at the NHL level.

Caulfied is smaller than Yamamoto (2017 1st - 22nd).

Yamamoto is 5'8" @ 153 lbs and had a better Junior career in a tougher league. His 3-years with the Spokane Chiefs (WHL) had 57, 71 & 99 points. He has since struggled. Played 26 games @ 5 points with the Oilers before sent down to the AHL and still struggling 27 games @ 16 points.

If he can't play with talented Cs in McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH, then size does make a difference. Yamamoto seems to be a much better player and blessed with better Cs than most teams can offer. Lots of hype on Caufield and warnings on transitioning into the NHL . I would never consider him as a 1st round prospect.

Reactions: chet1926

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Caufield is a much better prospect than Yamamoto... and I like Yamamoto. But they impact in very different ways. Their only tie is that they are small and can skate. Caufield is about finding soft spots and just ripping shots... Yamamoto is more about handling the puck and dishing it out. I know all small players get compared to their peers, but Caufield reminds me more of Fleury than anybody else. Small guy, unafraid to get into dirty areas and play rough (though not nearly as aggressive), 80+ grade shot (best shot in the draft), excellent without the puck in the offensive zone....

All that said... he's not a top 8 selection simply because of risk.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
A big pinch of salt should be taken with numbers with a bad team... IMO a high end prospect is just as likely to pile up big junior numbers on a bad team as a good team. Reasoning... that high end prospect is getting all the good ice time. The top PP (sometimes both units) and getting 18-20 minutes of ES time. On a good team that PP time is cut down and ES time will be more around 16-17. More minutes equates to higher numbers. Beyond that, I don't see high end skill in Krebs. He has skill and projects nicely to a 2nd line level sort of player, but I don't see top end offense. The shot isn't there and the ability to attack at different paces is lacking... he isn't dynamic enough in other areas to make up for that. He's a good prospect, but a tier down IMO. Those that like him will have him on the end of the 3-9/10 tier.
I agree to some extent that you should be careful of players with good stats on bad teams, but I just want to say that I don't really see that as the case with Krebs.

Using your ice-time reasoning, between the top 3 WHL centers in this draft, their ice-time was fairly similar. They all averaged between 14-15 minutes of ice time and they all had significant roles on the first unit of their teams' power play. Cozens had the most points, but also had the best teammates. Krebs had the lowest points, but had next to zero help. I think the production of all three is fairly even when you account for the teams they played on.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I’d like Caufield but no way the avs move up 8 spots by just taking a bad contract and I don’t think the price will be worth it

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
Another guy who has impressed me a lot at this U18 tournament has been Newhook. I was a big skeptic of his the last couple of months because he didn't really seem to take off offensively in the BCHL like I had hoped. But he's having a strong U18 and playing with his piers has shown that he's definitely got a lot of talent. Skating is the big concern with him and whether it will be good enough to be a Center at the NHL level, like the concerns around Jost now. But he's another I wouldn't have much concern with taking at #16 at this point and could certainly see a team or two taking him in the #10 range of the draft.
Newhook's skating is the best part of his game, he is really explosive. It should not be a concern for him at the NHL level, definitely not like it is for Jost.

Reactions: Patagonia

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Caufield's awesome and would love him on the Avs but I'd probably take Boldy at #4 before him. Neither one of those is likely to happen though. I'd be surprised if it's not Byram or one of the top centers if the Avs stay where they are.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
This is a strange draft where I would actually be happy with quite a few of these kids. I want Turcotte the most but I would still be happy with Cozens and Byram and to a lesser extent but still fairly happy with Boldy, Krebs, or Caufield. Usually I have a very firm favorite and that’s it but this year is different. Not sure if it’s just because they are all fairly close in talent or what but it actually is pretty nice because I’m almost positive I’ll be happy with the Avs pick since I like such a large number of them.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Let's say we move too low with our first and Knight (who I would like to take) is gone. At what point would it be no longer too far of a reach to select Nicholas Robertson? I'm really intrigued by this kid.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Let's say we move too low with our first and Knight (who I would like to take) is gone. At what point would it be no longer too far of a reach to select Nicholas Robertson? I'm really intrigued by this kid.

I keep wondering if the Avs will move up to take Knight. Traditionally they don't like to do this, but I can see them making an exception with how big a need it is to add a top notch goalie prospect prospect, and how unsuccessful they've been with the previous strategey.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont think they take Knight at all. Its simply not the Avs style to draft a goalie high and I dont believe they see anything wrong with our current goaltending situation or the drafting style they have right now.

Especially if they can keep Francouz around as backup to Grubauer I think our goaltending would be solved for at least the next 5-6 years at the NHL level. Additionally, while the strategy they have used certainly has its questionable results so far, I think they may actually have something with Werner. Its still way to early to say either way but he's shown some real progress in the last year and that's the main thing you want to see with goalies.

I also know I spoke very recently about how the Avs flat out need to stay where we are at #4 and draft an elite talent or trade the pick out right... But the more I watch some of these kids in that 3-12 range, the more I find myself struggling to see any major separations between them. Its still unlikely to happen since teams basically never move down in the Top 10, but I wouldn't be upset if we did move down from 4 to say 8-10 overall, but I wouldn't do it for a bunch of spare parts of B level prospects. Only way I do it is if a team is offering up one quality level piece in order to move up.

For example... If Anaheim offered up #9 + #20 to move up to #4 that's a trade I might make. And I'd do it with the plans of flipping either #16 or #20 for help right now. My thinking would be at #9 you still stand a very good chance of getting a Zegras/Boldy/Caufield level prospect which in my books at this point there's very little separating them from a Turcotte or a Cozens anyway. Then, you immediately go to either the Rangers and offer #20 + a small piece for Kreider.

Come out of the draft with say Zegras at #9, Cam York at #16, and Chris Kreider.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah....but my question about Robertson remains? At what point is he not a reach too far. I really like this kid.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I keep wondering if the Avs will move up to take Knight. Traditionally they don't like to do this, but I can see them making an exception with how big a need it is to add a top notch goalie prospect prospect, and how unsuccessful they've been with the previous strategey.

This is assuming the AVs decide on a Goalie. I reviewed most of the top young Goalies and their timeline 4-5 years. It might be easier via trade or UFAs.

Anyways, how far does the AVs move up for Knight? There is no chance he's drafted inside the Top 10. So here are my projections:

10 - VAN (Demko/DiPetro)
11 - PHI (Carter)
12 - MIN (???)
13 - FL (Bob or Varly UFA)
14 - AZ (???)
15 - MTL (Price)

There are only 2 possible teams that might have interest. I suspect MIN would pursue a Forward as they would rather regroup faster.

AZ is the most likely team, although, I would still consider this doubtful to be drafted so high. They selected 2 goalies last draft and might consider another selection with their later selections rather using their only 1st.

AVs should stay with their pick if they want Knight or trade into the Top 10 to add another Forward.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah....but my question about Robertson remains? At what point is he not a reach too far. I really like this kid.

He sounds a lot like a second rounder to me. I cant really comment on him that much as I haven't watched him play. But his junior stats are decent but not dominant by any means either. He's undersized which is generally a concern for most people, it normally doesn't deter me but I would like to see more offensive numbers from an undersized guy. That said scouting reports are suggesting he's a great skater and specifically has some real good acceleration. He's also probably the youngest prospect in the draft which is something that adds a bit of value to a player for me. Some of these guys have 10-11 months on this guy which can be a big difference.

I dunno, I probably wouldn't take him in the first round but depending who was available in at #47 I'd consider taking him though again he wouldn't be my first choice.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This is assuming the AVs decide on a Goalie. I reviewed most of the top young Goalies and their timeline 4-5 years. It might be easier via trade or UFAs.

Anyways, how far does the AVs move up for Knight? There is no chance he's drafted inside the Top 10. So here are my projections:

10 - VAN (Demko/DiPetro)
11 - PHI (Carter)
12 - MIN (???)
13 - FL (Bob or Varly UFA)
14 - AZ (???)
15 - MTL (Price)

There are only 2 possible teams that might have interest. I suspect MIN would pursue a Forward as they would rather regroup faster.

AZ is the most likely team, although, I would still consider this doubtful to be drafted so high. They selected 2 goalies last draft and might consider another selection with their later selections rather using their only 1st.

AVs should stay with their pick if they want Knight or trade into the Top 10 to add another Forward.

I think Minny, Florida, Arizona, and Montreal could all potentially have interest, depending on how highly they view him, and who else is left on board. Potentially Philly too, you never really know what they're gonna do.

It's not just the teams in those spots that could draft Knight either. It's also other teams that want to trade up for him. Whoever their current starter is won't make a ton of difference IMO, unless they're young and established. Goalies usually take 4-5 years before making the NHL anyway, with some exceptions.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
/r/hockey had an AMA with J.D. Burke from EliteProspects and he was asked about which player, does he think, has the highest upside after the big two and had the following to say :

Alex Turcotte. One scout I spoke to said that Turcotte reminds him a little bit of Patrice Bergeron, then went on to say how much he hates player comps, which, fair enough. His SEAL (Situational Era Age League) adjusted scoring rate is obscene. Those adjustments give him the second-highest adjusted points per game in the entire class. \*That information courtesy of Jeremy Davis of Next-Gen Hockey\*

Kind of interesting stuff.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
/r/hockey had an AMA with J.D. Burke from EliteProspects and he was asked about which player, does he think, has the highest upside after the big two and had the following to say :

Alex Turcotte. One scout I spoke to said that Turcotte reminds him a little bit of Patrice Bergeron, then went on to say how much he hates player comps, which, fair enough. His SEAL (Situational Era Age League) adjusted scoring rate is obscene. Those adjustments give him the second-highest adjusted points per game in the entire class. \*That information courtesy of Jeremy Davis of Next-Gen Hockey\*

Kind of interesting stuff.
Stop getting my hopes up! We all know they’re gonna walk away having taken Cozens at #4.

Reactions: Ncit3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->