Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part IV

Avs are currently 42nd overall in the second as of 3/12, who you got?

• Jamieson Rees, C [Sarnia Sting, OHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I might've caught some bad games with him or perhaps Hughes is that much better and steals all the shine from other players, but he's making me a believer. Enough that I think I would pick him over Boldy simply because I see a very accomplished centre under his belt. He's like a puck magnet, always has the puck and the biggest reason why I decided to change my stance is that his puck distribution is superb. Beyond Hughes, Krebs, and perhaps Dach he might have the best decisions with the puck in this draft. Defencive game probably won't come close, but he really reminds me of young Patrice Bergeron.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I might've caught some bad games with him or perhaps Hughes is that much better and steals all the shine from other players, but he's making me a believer. Enough that I think I would pick him over Boldy simply because I see a very accomplished centre under his belt. He's like a puck magnet, always has the puck and the biggest reason why I decided to change my stance is that his puck distribution is superb. Beyond Hughes, Krebs, and perhaps Dach he might have the best decisions with the puck in this draft. Defencive game probably won't come close, but he really reminds me of young Patrice Bergeron.

I think he is really going to blossom in college next year and people will see how good he really is. There is a lot of talent there, and I think he can be a great center... but he is going to need a couple seasons at least to really be NHL ready at center and the defense may never really come around (though I think the ability and smarts are there, just needs more ice time at center). I think it is fairly realistic to project him as Kyle Connor 2.0 and if things go real well, a center version.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think he is really going to blossom in college next year and people will see how good he really is. There is a lot of talent there, and I think he can be a great center... but he is going to need a couple seasons at least to really be NHL ready at center and the defense may never really come around (though I think the ability and smarts are there, just needs more ice time at center). I think it is fairly realistic to project him as Kyle Connor 2.0 and if things go real well, a center version.
Not trying to pinpoint schematics since I agree with 99.9% rest of your post, but his shot definitely is not close to Connor. Not sure I see the traits to be a good goalscorer either, I see him more along the lines of a superb playmaker (perhaps 20-50 guy like what he currently has with USDP) where his IQ should help him to become a solid two-wayer as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not trying to pinpoint schematics since I agree with 99.9% rest of your post, but his shot definitely is not close to Connor. Not sure I see the traits to be a good goalscorer either, I see him more along the lines of a superb playmaker (perhaps 20-50 guy like what he currently has with USDP) where his IQ should help him to become a solid two-wayer as well.

Connor certainly has a better shot now, at the same age, it is closer than you'd think even if Connor's was still better. Connor's shot really got better as he started adding more strength. Late in his draft year, but really in his +1 season it became a weapon. Connor transitioning to wing full time changed his mindset up a bit too. He was more of a playmaker when he was consistently a center, but not playing that position since his draft year has made him more of a shooter. I don't think Zegras will be a high level sniper or anything, but 25g would be my expectation from him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So a step down from Connor? Sounds like a good but not elite skater.

He’s better than Connor overall (at the same age)... can’t fly down the boards like Connor. If Zegras can pick up a step on the top end, he will be regarded as an elite skater. Not sure he gets there, but his floor is a very good skater. Better than any Avs forward save for MacKinnon.

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
He’s better than Connor overall (at the same age)... can’t fly down the boards like Connor. If Zegras can pick up a step on the top end, he will be regarded as an elite skater. Not sure he gets there, but his floor is a very good skater. Better than any Avs forward save for MacKinnon.
I didn't realize he was that good. I think Connor is almost elite so if Zegra's can get here he'd be in contention for 4th.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
So after the top two obvious choices what is evreyone's draft board for the Ottawa pick 1-6?

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Cozens
5. Turcotte
6. Podkolzin

1&2 is a coin flip for me same with 4 through 6.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
If we miss out on the top-2, I'd be lying if I said no to Byram.

It would be almost criminal to have both Makar and Byram on the same blue line. No more of those foolish drop-pass zone entries for us.

Although you would think a team with both Girard and Barrie would be able to make consistent zone entries, but here we are. It's 100% a coaching thing too, Barrie used to be good at it under Tourigny.

One day we'll luck into the right coach and staff with 0 NHL experience though, one day.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Almost every team in the league utilizes some form of that drop pass. It's the best way to enter the offensive zone with speed. When Makar comes he'll likely be in Mackinnons position on the 2nd unit doing the same thing.

As for the topic, I'd be quite happy with any one of Cozens, Turcotte, or Byram at 3/4/5. Turcotte is the guy I have at 3 followed by Cozens and Byram but very little separates the three of them for me.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Almost every team in the league utilizes some form of that drop pass. It's the best way to enter the offensive zone with speed. When Makar comes he'll likely be in Mackinnons position on the 2nd unit doing the same thing.

As for the topic, I'd be quite happy with any one of Cozens, Turcotte, or Byram at 3/4/5. Turcotte is the guy I have at 3 followed by Cozens and Byram but very little separates the three of them for me.

Should have clarified; it seems like that's the only way we can make zone entries

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Hughes
Kakko
Byram
Cozens
Dach
Turcotte
Podkolzin
Krebs
Newhook
Broberg

That’s my top 10.

Hughes/Kakko clearly above the rest.

Byram, with the skating and all-around game that gives him the potential to be a 1D, is my #3. People question whether his offense will translate to the pro game and if he has any exceptional skills, or if he’s just a guy with a huge arsenal of above average skills. Who cares. Brilliant skater, solid defensively, good in all 3 zones. For a team like ours, Makar is going to be the highest scoring defensemen every year. Pair him with an all-around stud like Byram and you’ve hit gold on the blueline for the next 15 years.

Podkolzin would be right after Byram if not for his reluctance to come across for a bit. Outstanding skill, will definitely be an offense generator on whatever line or team he is on.

Love Cozens/Dach size and ability, Cozens being the superior skater and having that explosive edge to his game. Dach is really interesting though, he controls the game in a similar way to a Blake Wheeler type; slick passing, using the frame for puck control, an animal down low, etc. Both these kids are pure Western Canadian hogs, the type of player you want as a 2C behind MacK for a very long time.

Turcotte edges Krebs for me, I like Krebs’ game but have questions on how his junior strengths will translate to pro level strengths... if that makes sense. Both guys have high compete levels, Turcotte’s stick handling, puck control, vision give him the edge for me.

Broberg gets crapped on a lot for some reason, people questioning his ceiling and all that. Why? He’s all-around solid, fantastic size at 6’3/205 already, and should easily become a 2/3D. That’s worth more than a 2nd line forward to me, and that’s what I see the forwards after him becoming.

Limited viewings on Zegras and Boldy, but wasn’t really a big fan. Have literally seen Newhook only on YT videos but liked what I saw.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Finnish news paper asked Kaapo Kakko today what is his favourite team in the NHL and he answered "i don't know do I have an actual favourite team but I do follow a lot of Colorado Avalanche because of Mikko Rantanen"

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Finnish news paper asked Kaapo Kakko today what is his favourite team in the NHL and he answered "i don't know do I have an actual favourite team but I do follow a lot of Colorado Avalanche because of Mikko Rantanen"

Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad