Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part IV

Avs are currently 42nd overall in the second as of 3/12, who you got?

• Jamieson Rees, C [Sarnia Sting, OHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I actually agree with the general jist of mistrusting non-combine #s, but 7 pounds? Really? Even for a smurf losing 7 pounds over the course of a season is nothing. Didn't MacK drop almost all of the way back down to 205 over the course of that sophomore season when he bulked up to 220+ over the summer? So though I don't trust non-combine #s either, Weiss' weight seems like a poor example with which to prove that point.
7 pounds is pretty significant when you're talking about a player who's threshold is on the lower side of the spectrum. Seven pound inaccuracy for Weiss is quite insane when he weighs so little to begin with. Do scouts see a player who is 5'10" and already has a well built frame being at 162 lbs? Is that fat? Or are those numbers skewed and he needs perhaps another development year at college to get him to put on 2-4 pounds more of muscle? What you're talking about is when players reach Buff's and Zadorovs height and weight where seven pound fluctuations probably occur naturally from offseason to regular season to offseason.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
7 pounds is pretty significant when you're talking about a player who's threshold is on the lower side of the spectrum. Seven pound inaccuracy for Weiss is quite insane when he weighs so little to begin with. Do scouts see a player who is 5'10" and already has a well built frame being at 162 lbs? Is that fat? Or are those numbers skewed and he needs perhaps another development year at college to get him to put on 2-4 pounds more of muscle? What you're talking about is when players reach Buff's and Zadorovs height and weight where seven pound fluctuations probably occur naturally from offseason to regular season to offseason.

This may just be because I'm a towering 6' flat, but I really feel like you're overstating how big a difference 7 pounds makes; even for a smurf :dunno:

I mean, if Hughes weighs in 7 pounds under his listed weight, would that actually affect how you rated him as a prospect? And Hughes is expected to play in the NHL as a draft+1, for kids who won't be going straight into the NHL that would be even less significant.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I actually gotta agree with @BleedWell here, any USNTDP numbers concerning height and weight are absolutely "fake news" as Mr. Dater said above. They're always wrong. They had Tyler Weiss' numbers somewhere in the season where he weighed 5'10" and 162 lbs, but when he was weighed at the combine it turned out to be 155 lbs. A couple of pounds here and there are not a big deal, but more than five pounds is an insane inaccuracy.

That said, a 5'8" Jack Hughes would still be the best player in this draft.

Actually 5'8 155lbs would be matching the eye test. We'll know at the combine if he shows up.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Turcotte looks better and better with each viewing. I firmly believe the top 4 should be set in stone for me.

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Byram

That's my top 3, but I've got Pod...and probably also Cozens...ahead of Byram until I'm sold that he'll be a high-end producer in the NHL as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
CE is going to hate this, but I caught some Newhook games since earlier in the season and holy smokes I came away disappointed. Considering which players have risen and there are more identifiable players for this year's draft, he isn't even a top 10-15 skater in this draft. His style is silky smooth no doubt, but I have a lot of questions at the players he's facing than him being truly amazing. There isn't a ton of high-end speed or agility with him, it's mostly aesthetics than anything.

Another aspect is that he has some Kaliyev syndrome where he's absolutely useless when the puck isn't on his stick. However, when it's on stuff happens. He doesn't have an insane amount of IQ or vision, but he has enough for a 1st round prospect. He's a good player and likes to make plays. He also has fantastic hands, I would actually say that his stickhandling is better than his skating ability. He's a very good faceoff man and what I really like is his shot. Absolutely a weapon in terms of heaviness, speed, and that he constantly uses it. Down side? He like every Avalanche forward tries to go crossbar and in and misses 90% of the shots he takes (so he would fit in if we draft him). He had 38 goals this season and has scored 6 goals in 6 playoff games, but honestly he could've easily been a 50 goalscorer if he fixed his accuracy. If I was going to compare him with Jost, Tyson is better at everything except skating ability.

There are some good and some bad with him. He needs to improve his competitiveness and needs to get stronger. He also needs to improve his shot accuracy and gaining more speed will do wonders since the skating foundation elements are there. No way is he a top 15 player for me and if he's not a top 15 player....I argue that I personally would rather pick Kaliyev instead and I expect teams will face the same issues. Could be this year's Veleno, however I also think he has the best chance of being a 1st round bust as well.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not the upcoming draft but remember when Wahlstrom was the next big thing? The heck happened to him?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My Top 5 is essentially locked in now I think as well:

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Byram

Pod likely is #6 for me and after that it turns into a shot show. Still a lot of sorting out to be done between Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, Knight, Soderstrom, Dorofeyev, Caufield, York, Heinola, Kaliyev, Newhook, Seider, etc.

No idea how the rest will sort out.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
My Top 5 is essentially locked in now I think as well:

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Byram

Pod likely is #6 for me and after that it turns into a shot show. Still a lot of sorting out to be done between Dach, Krebs, Zegras, Boldy, Knight, Soderstrom, Dorofeyev, Caufield, York, Heinola, Kaliyev, Newhook, Seider, etc.

No idea how the rest will sort out.

I'm really hoping Pod drops to our pick. There's a small, outside chance of that happening because of his stated intent to stay in Russia until he feels ready.

Reactions: Barklez

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
LA has embraced the tank so get ready for pick #5 and stop fighting about Hughes and Kakko.

We’re pretty much guaranteed to get one of Byram, Pod, Turcotte, Cozens, Krebs, etc which is pretty good, whoever you see as the BPA Ar 3-4-5. If we get either of Hughes or Kakko I’ll be ecstatic and couldn’t care less about these internet arguments about who projects better. I know that battling Finnish posters on HF about their country’s prospects is pretty much an eternal tradition but it feels a bit like a jinx

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm really hoping Pod drops to our pick. There's a small, outside chance of that happening because of his stated intent to stay in Russia until he feels ready.

Yeah I think its possible as well and I would be all over him at ~10th overall. In the Top 5 i want someone we can feel more comfortable about helping within a year, but at #10 and after already hopefully snagging a Hughes/Kakko, I would be very happy to take a guy who could be truly elite in 4-5 years down the road.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yeah I think its possible as well and I would be all over him at ~10th overall. In the Top 5 i want someone we can feel more comfortable about helping within a year, but at #10 and after already hopefully snagging a Hughes/Kakko, I would be very happy to take a guy who could be truly elite in 4-5 years down the road.

I think managing to grab a dropping Pod could be a huge boon for the franchise. He'll be stepping in just as a lot of our players will be getting their big expensive contracts (or right before it happens).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Weiss is a bit of an exception to the rule... that kid has the hardest time keeping on any weight (pretty well documented). He was down into the 140s at one point during the season last year, and I understand he played that way in college too this year despite getting up to 163 at one point this summer. It isn't at all unusual for a hockey player to lose 5-10 pounds in a season

Not saying USNDTP numbers are accurate, but they are not so wildly off either. Hughes will measure in above 5'10" but likely a touch below 5'11". I expect him to push into the 170s this summer, but would play the bulk of next season in the high 160s. Don't expect his frame to handle 190 well, so will probably peak in the 180s long term.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There isn't a ton of high-end speed or agility with him, it's mostly aesthetics than anything.
Yup... Newhook is a fundamentally sound skater that doesn't have a great burst or speed. I foresee skating problems in his future, but because it looks pretty, people will be high on his skating and say it can overcome his stature. I think Newhook will be a NHL player, but I don't see a high end one in him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

If the lotto gods don't give us Hughes or Kakko, how do you propose we accomplish this?

Reactions: McMetal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If the lotto gods don't give us Hughes or Kakko, how do you propose we accomplish this?
Well I think his point is that guys like Turcotte/Cozens/Dach/Krebs/Zegras/Boldy/and even Byram have more chance to be in the lineup and making some kind of impact in season 20/21 than Pod especially if one believe Pod will need some time (half-season?) to adjust to NA hockey. I agree with him but you already know that lol.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well I think his point is that guys like Turcotte/Cozens/Dach/Krebs/Zegras/Boldy/and even Byram have more chance to be in the lineup and making some kind of impact in season 20/21 than Pod especially if one believe Pod will need some time (half-season?) to adjust to NA hockey. I agree with him but you already know that lol.

But that's not "within a year". "Within a year" is their draft+1 season.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
O chance the predicted 3rd OA slips to 12- 13 where we will be picking.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
My final list:

1. Kakko
2. Byram
3. Cozens
Those guys are solid no brainer picks.

4.-5. Podkolzin\Hughes
Risky picks but maybe worth taking.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I know its asked in the poll but who are some of the second round targets that realistically might fall?

Also someone asked this question on a different board, but I found it interesting atleast. But when was the last time a prospect labeled with "character issues" succeeded? Thinking guys like Ho-sang, Merkely and De-angelo ect.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know its asked in the poll but who are some of the second round targets that realistically might fall?

Also someone asked this question on a different board, but I found it interesting atleast. But when was the last time a prospect labeled with "character issues" succeeded? Thinking guys like Ho-sang, Merkely and De-angelo ect.

Don't you know that he is the best defensemen in the league according to some advanced stats? :sarcasm::laugh:

Laine is a pretty high profile case of a character issue player working out, even if he is pretty one dimensional.

Reactions: avsfan09
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad